Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Carolina Panthers
‏@Panthers
The #Panthers have released veteran DE Charles Johnson

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 24m24 minutes ago
Cuts keep coming: Ravens released veteran linebacker Daryl Smith, per source.

Daryl Smith could be a good stop-gap, veteran guy and leader to put in at ILB next to a young ILB prospect. Would definitely give him a 1 year deal.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
He'll be 34 years old on the 14th.

I am still good with him being on a 1 yr deal if they decide Trevathan is too rich. I have been saying that Jerrel Freeman should be another option as well. Stick Smith there with a 2nd or 3rd round rookie and McClellin as the backup. Rookie can learn from one of the better LB's in football from the past decade.

Smith still had 121 tackles, 3 sacks and an INT last year. Linebackers tend to age pretty well and I think he still has 1 more decent year. It's really a low risk/medium reward kind of signing if things don't go there way.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Twitter is a little abuzz with Osweiler and the Texans.

Would be very interesting.

He leaves and Peyton stays, how funny would that be.

Peyton is gone regardless. Even if the big Oz leaves.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If they can, I'd try and trade Royal for a 3rd round pick and have Mariani take his spot.

Annnnnnd another Special person hawk post. Go figure.

Maybe we can get a 1st for shea while we're at it

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Donald Butler cut by the Chargers. He's somewhat interesting. Got paid before 2014 and has been terrible since. But he's just 28 and there's a chance a new situation motivates him to actually give a crap. SD beat reporter completely trashed him today, saying he grabbed the money and quit. Ranked 58th and 51st out of 60 ILBs the last 2 years, respectively.

This would be a Mason Foster situation where you sign him in June/July in time for the offseason program and give him a shot to stick in camp. But a better option potentially than guys older than him.

Reactions: 1ke

Bears27

Liked Posts:
He'll be 34 years old on the 14th.

I actually thought this would've made a good signing back in 2013. That was Trestman & Mel Tucker's first year. Daryl Smith, who played for the Jags, was coming off injury into FA. He was a pretty decent prospect and an above average MLB. I thought perhaps his D-Coordinator might've wanted a familiar face for his new defense – but we know how that story ended.

That said, Smith is still a tackling machine. He seems to be in decent shape and thus never really missed much time during his career – with the exception of that 2012 year. Could be a dice-roll @ that age, but it would be pretty difficult to find a better example of a veteran stopgap.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ESPN New York calls TE Andrew Quarless a "name to watch" for the Giants in free agency.
Quarless is primarily a blocker who can catch a pass or two. He played for Giants coach Ben McAdoo in Green Bay from 2010-13. McAdoo served as his position coach for two years.

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus of Cowboys.com expects the team to pursue free agent DL Adrian Clayborn.

^^ Don't know how "obvious" that one is...

Quote:
Free agent CB Pacman Jones expects to draw interest from the Dolphins.
Jones is connecting the same dots as everyone else, as the Dolphins hired Bengals DBs coach Vance Joseph as defensive coordinator. "I would think V.J. would be interested," Jones said. "He's taught me a lot and he knows I know everything in the system. He knows I'm a football guy. If I'm a betting man, I would think he'd try to bring me in there."

Quote:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport expects the Bucs to have interest in free agent Roddy White.
White has ties to Dirk Koetter, who coordinated him for three seasons in Atlanta. He could add depth behind Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson, but the Bucs might not want to block second-year WR Kenny Bell. WKBW's Joe Buscaglia considers the Bills a possible landing spot for Roddy White.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Charles Robinson

-The Texans are going to make a run at Osweiler.

Last edited:

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport expects the Raiders and Bears to be interested in free agent DL Malik Jackson.
Dot-connecting at its finest. Both Jack Del Rio and John Fox were with the Broncos as defensive coordinator and coach, respectively, when Denver drafted Jackson in the fifth round back in 2012. They won't be the only two interested in Jackson. A bidding war is likely to ensue, and Jackson could be this year's highest-paid free agent. He's said to be seeking $13-14 million annually. With the rising salary cap and need for pass r

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport expects the Raiders and Bears to be interested in free agent DL Malik Jackson.
Dot-connecting at its finest. Both Jack Del Rio and John Fox were with the Broncos as defensive coordinator and coach, respectively, when Denver drafted Jackson in the fifth round back in 2012. They won't be the only two interested in Jackson. A bidding war is likely to ensue, and Jackson could be this year's highest-paid free agent. He's said to be seeking $13-14 million annually. With the rising salary cap and need for pass r

It is a ton of money.

But interior pressure destroys offenses and add that to the fact he is a very good run defender.

I would applaud the move.

My best guess on contract is 5 years 62.5 million/33 guaranteed

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would stay away from that bidding war. Malik is good but he ain't that good. He would be getting paid like a top 3 3-4 DE and he just isn't that good.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would stay away from that bidding war. Malik is good but he ain't that good. He would be getting paid like a top 3 3-4 DE and he just isn't that good.

You will over pay, that is a fact.

But a 26, perfect scheme fit, that you have a ton of inside information on. That could be too unique an opportunity to pass on.

AussieBear

damn... thats bordering jj watt money

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If they can, I'd try and trade Royal for a 3rd round pick and have Mariani take his spot.

You wouldn't get a used hypodermic needle for eddie royal

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You will over pay, that is a fact.

But a 26, perfect scheme fit, that you have a ton of inside information on. That could be too unique an opportunity to pass on.

Is he worth 13 mil for five sacks a year though?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

His run defense and interior pressure is worth a lot.

Lets wait and see if he gets 13 million.

I will support the move no matter. Grabbing 26 year old emerging stars is never a bad idea, In a normal market Jackson would never hit free agency, he just happened to line up with Miller being a FA.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

His sack numbers aren't a big deal, he's a down lineman in a 3-4. He's very disruptive and a better pass rusher then he is a run defender. That said, I'd say, no, he's not worth the contract he will get. That's a crazy amount of money for a non-elite player.

That said, if the Bears want to overpay for him, I'm not against it. He's a very good player. I just don't see him as a true difference maker.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Tony Jefferson got a low tender from the Cardinals.

Could be an upgrade at SS.

Cardinals have right to match, but there is no draft pick combination.

I like Jefferson but i really would like Pace to take a look at J.Powers from the Cardinals. Shit lets get both since both play a position of need. Hey Windy what do you think about the SS kid from Southern Utah Miles Killebrew?? The kid had a good combine and he hits like a truck.