Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Bennett has to be drooling if the BEars cut him. He would jump up among the leaders in free agency. He is better than any tight end in free agency and could be in for a great payday if they cut him.

Thats the weird part. FAs arent that good and the draft looks light at the top end, yet there doesnt appear to be much of a market for Bennett.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Bears not in mix for MJ any longer. I've been told they pulled out late afternoon. Don't know who front runners are for him but seems Jax. All I know, Bears were not terribly disappointed.
FYI, MJ was already making 12 mill with Denver. He was looking for 16+ million/ yr but it was more about the Guarantee money which he wanted over 50% of his contract to be Guranteed. Pace had a big problem with that. I was told, again I was told, Bears put close to $30 million Guaranteed and they walked away from it.

Whether that is a little south of 30 or north of 30 I don't know the exact specifics. Bears wanted 4 years with 30, MJ agent wanted 5 or 6 years with 50 mil guaranteed

There is some hidden good news here in that even if da bears dont get MJ there are at least willing to part with some serious FA guarantees for the right guy. Also everyone may have noticed like I speculated about priorities none of these rumors included an ILB. These rumors are about improving the pass rush form the front 3 and the secondary. This is where the big smart money for the Bears in FA should go. At least IMHO. Admittedly not sure about how much they are willing to spend on a corner just yet but 30MM guarantee for a 5tech with real pass rush chops at least shows they are using their heads again IMHO. Could the next stop be Ian Williams or another NT like Jaye Howard to shift over Eddie to 5T?

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Thats the weird part. FAs arent that good and the draft looks light at the top end, yet there doesnt appear to be much of a market for Bennett.

Marty is an asset it would be foolish to just cut him when this is a sellers market for quality TE's. They will hold onto him as long as they need to until draft day which is plenty of time to see who still needs a TE before the draft which has very few guys ready to start at TE.

AussieBear

Marty is an asset it would be foolish to just cut him when this is a sellers market for quality TE's. They will hold onto him as long as they need to until draft day which is plenty of time to see who still needs a TE before the draft which has very few guys ready to start at TE.

rather than cut him for nothing.... let him go out and compete in a contract year... at least you get a motivated marty for a year before letting him walk

Newblood

Liked Posts:
I think your posts are getting more drunk by the moment. So I will let you have the last word..... Go ahead.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Word.

Hope you can figure that one out.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Dwayne Allen had 16 catches in '15 & got 4-yr, $30 mill deal from #Colts. His agent? Drew Rosenhaus, who also reps #Bears TE Zach Miller.

Yeah, I am not re-signing Miller at that price

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Jets news maybe Bear related

From PFT per Mahish Mehta who covers the Jets for the NY Daily News the Jets are interested in NT Nick Farley which means they probably dont want to pay Damon Harrison their NT who is UFA, big money. He also said they are interested in trading Muhammed Wilkerson. So how about the Bears take some of the money they were going to give Malik Jackson and take a shot at Wilkerson. I still prefer Ian Williams over Harrison at NT for the Bears because Ian has better pass rush chops. However Wilkerson to my mind is worth a 3rd pick and as much money as the Bears are willing to go. He is just the type of impact player the Bears are desperate for at the position they most need to spend money on a 5tech who is a serious pass rusher.

Of course might be willing to trade a second round pick for Wilkerson but that seems somewhat unlikely given second round picks are probably the best value in terms of money for their production if they become quality starters.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:

John Mullin makes a good point in his most recent article that guys who hold out in the off season to get bigger contracts are not often not pursued by teams. He has a couple of examples in his article that convinced me he is probably right.

AussieBear

From PFT per Mahish Mehta who covers the Jets for the NY Daily News the Jets are interested in NT Nick Farley which means they probably dont want to pay Damon Harrison their NT who is UFA, big money. He also said they are interested in trading Muhammed Wilkerson. So how about the Bears take some of the money they were going to give Malik Jackson and take a shot at Wilkerson. I still prefer Ian Williams over Harrison at NT for the Bears because Ian has better pass rush chops. However Wilkerson to my mind is worth a 3rd pick and as much money as the Bears are willing to go. He is just the type of impact player the Bears are desperate for at the position they most need to spend money on a 5tech who is a serious pass rusher.

Of course might be willing to trade a second round pick for Wilkerson but that seems somewhat unlikely given second round picks are probably the best value in terms of money for their production if they become quality starters.

a 2nd and a phat contract is a lot for Wilkerson....but hes a proven commodity.... i guess as long as the jets throw in a 6th rd pick somehow itll be worth it

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Give'em Marty and a 4th. Deal.

Marty and a 3rd would be a serious offer and might be one that helps both teams. The Bears could use some of the extra 6th round picks to move up the 4th round pick into a better 4th round pick or a high 3rd pick. Just spitballing here.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marty and a 3rd would be a serious offer and might be one that helps both teams. The Bears could use some of the extra 6th round picks to move up the 4th round pick into a better 4th round pick or a high 3rd pick. Just spitballing here.
In what world do 6th round picks garner 3rd and 4th round picks?

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Ughhh I hate that I have to keep on hearing this -

1. This is the NFL, not the MLB or NBA...you can rebuild in a very short period of time.

2. You can't have 53 players on your squad under the age of 26. It's just not realistic. Not to mention you also need veterans and LEADERS on your team.

3. Calais Campbell is an elite 3-4 end. He still has a good 3-4 years in him. This team could very well be in the playoffs in 2 years.

OT rant (not sorry): Rebuild? That occurs in the NFL, 12 months ago when i suggested the same the departed Joffrey-tard reminded us all there was no such thing in the NFL. And acquiring salary cap with our cuts last year was en effort in futility because we had no need for it.

Ahhh, i rejoice in the ban for that 30,000+ posts shit-for-brains, or whatever caused him to exit, buh-bye.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since they would be giving the 3rd for Wilk, they could offer multiple 6 rounders to move into the 3rd with their 4th. Get it?
Doesn't sound at all enticing. Not much difference between UFAs and 6th rounders. Don't think any teams covet 6th round picks, whether it's 1 or 2 or even 3.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Just read in espn nfl rumors that Sean Smith is not likely to return to KC. So I wonder if the corner GatorMike says the Bears have locked up is this guy.

Mitchapalooza

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 8m8 minutes ago
#Bears and #Titans could be two teams to keep close eye on for #Broncos LB Danny Trevathan.