Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Damnit, I have a feeling we are going to lose free agency.

Also getting a bad vibe. Seems like we haven't announced signings not because of the tampering period but because we're low balling players.

Not that wise when you have the 3rd largest cap in the league

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I normally would agree with you 100% its not the way to rebuild and recent Super Bowl teams have shown this to be the case....however when you are on the bottom of the league in terms of talent and have a boatload of money to spend you need to make some moves..and not moves that just are 1 yr plugs...So in past 2 yrs the Bears have jettisoned arguably 3/4 top offensive players in Marshall, Forte, and now likely Bennett. Pace then is forced to draft players to vacate the holes he fills while still never improving the rest of the roster. At some point you need to pay to get real talent on the team while continuing to draft well.

Bears have hit the cap floor for a loooooong time. Meaning (if I understand correctly) they could underspend for a couple years and roll over some cash. Pace may want to build through the draft and then go big when the team is closer.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
This is my best guess list of non Bear FA's who the Bears are targeting based on everything everyone else has read including GatorMike

Akeim Hicks DE
Jaye Howard DE

Patrick Robinson CB
Casey Heyward CB
Sean Smith CB
Tashaun Gipson FS
Rashaun Johnson FS

Brandon Brooks OG

Ladarius Green TE

Nick Moody ILB

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Bears have hit the cap floor for a loooooong time. Meaning (if I understand correctly) they could underspend for a couple years and roll over some cash. Pace may want to build through the draft and then go big when the team is closer.

The proper way to build a team is to draft well then use your cap space to reward current players when their contracts come up.

There are 2 problems with that model:

1 - Rarely does a GM have the 4+ years to make that type of a system work
2 - It puts a lot of stress on getting the draft right. If a specific class doesn't pan out (injury, bust, etc...) then the whole model is set back.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This is my best guess list of non Bear FA's who the Bears are targeting based on everything everyone else has read including GatorMike

Akeim Hicks DE
Jaye Howard DE

Patrick Robinson CB
Casey Heyward CB
Sean Smith CB
Tashaun Gipson FS
Rashaun Johnson FS

Brandon Brooks OG

Ladarius Green TE

Nick Moody ILB

Why no Cedric Thornton? He's an above average 3-4 DE who no one is talking about.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Gator Mike...Bitch please.

Nothing he has said has happened so until then stfu

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That still doesn't mean you overpay in free agency. Have you seen some of these contracts being thrown around?

Just because you have money to spend doesn't mean you spend it irresponsibly, which is exactly what Jacksonville has done the past 2 years.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

And in a year or two, with the cap going up each year, even these contracts will look like a bargain.

Reactions: WCL

hester247

Liked Posts:
And in a year or two, with the cap going up each year, even these contracts will look like a bargain.

Bingo..every yr prices go up not down..you have to spend to get what you want at some point!

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The proper way to build a team is to draft well then use your cap space to reward current players when their contracts come up.

There are 2 problems with that model:

1 - Rarely does a GM have the 4+ years to make that type of a system work
2 - It puts a lot of stress on getting the draft right. If a specific class doesn't pan out (injury, bust, etc...) then the whole model is set back.

Agree on both points just throwing out a scenario in which Pace doesn't go all in this offseason. This may or may not be his line of thinking.

Personally I think we'll sign Danny T., a couple 5-7 mil guys then fill in gaps with a some 1-2 yr contracts.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also getting a bad vibe. Seems like we haven't announced signings not because of the tampering period but because we're low balling players.

Not that wise when you have the 3rd largest cap in the league

take a look at the old track records of the teams that have " won " free agency the past few years and look at how many of them made the playoffs. It really is astonishing. Record is very very poor.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Bingo..every yr prices go up not down..you have to spend to get what you want at some point!
Spend what exactly? 40+ million guaranteed for Jackson? $13 mil AAV for Jenkins?

Those deals are asinine. Trevathan would be a great pickup and we'll have to see how the rest of free agency shakes out.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Gator Mike...Bitch please.

Nothing he has said has happened so until then stfu

'The Gator' is a damn American Saint! He's here dropping knowledge ,like Donald Trump, trying to save America and you are hating on him. You are just a bunch of thirstly Rubio loving losers who couldn't build a wall if your lives depended on it (which it does!!!)!!!

giphy.gif

#MakeChiCitySportsGreatAgain

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
There are no great players in this free agency class. Let the dumb teams overspend on the big names and then Pace will operate the rest of the market accordingly.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Agree on both points just throwing out a scenario in which Pace doesn't go all in this offseason. This may or may not be his line of thinking.

Personally I think we'll sign Danny T., a couple 5-7 mil guys then fill in gaps with a some 1-2 yr contracts.

I think on a philosophical level when it comes to team sports the largest rewards should go to the guys who have already given to the city/team. I'm an Eagles fan, so I have 'the Dream Team' burned into my memories.

I agree with using some of the cap room, but make sure it's for 'glue' type guys who come in at a bit of a discount because they are looking for an expanded role. Let's look at the big target coming into this exercise, M. Jackson. His contract is huge. That's extremely overpaid for someone who hasn't dominanted for mulitple seasons. Do you really want to reward someone based entirely on potential? What does that say to the current roster? The best way to be rewarded is to have one great season at the right time then jump ship?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
There are no great players in this free agency class. Let the dumb teams overspend on the big names and then Pace will operate the rest of the market accordingly.

I agree this FA class is low on 'great' players, but to counter the way the cap is expected to grow over the next 3-5 years even the overpriced contracts you are seeing will look like deals in the not to distant future.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
‏@AdamSchefter
Former 49ers guard Alex Boone is signing with the Minnesota
Vikings, per source.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
I agree this FA class is low on 'great' players, but to counter the way the cap is expected to grow over the next 3-5 years even the overpriced contracts you are seeing will look like deals in the not to distant future.
Yeah but that still doesn't mean you give a $90 million contract to a guy who started just 1 year and might not be an impact player.