HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's nothing. The NK has more impressive powers than that, some we haven't even seen I imagine. Question is what does he want.

For someone who doesn't fuck with the books and haven't seen him show anything else really in GoT...kinda odd ascertain.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That's nothing. The NK has more impressive powers than that, some we haven't even seen I imagine. Question is what does he want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qAHu2KifBQ

Interesting thoughts. Quite a bit of the basis for this comes from the books, to be fair. And the white walkers origin story is different in the show and doesn't really match up. But I do find it hard to believe the First Men could have built that giant magical wall of ice themselves.

Perhaps NK and co. have some other agenda, but I don't see it so much as "make the whole world winter and every living thing wights, blah blah blah". Martin isn't a big fan of things/people representing wholly good or evil, or wholly destructive. Although it's possible that the WW's want to establish a wintry peace in line with what I mentioned in the quotes. The WW's are certainly quite a bit different from the other characters on this show. However, I don't think they're an exception.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
For someone who doesn't fuck with the books and haven't seen him show anything else really in GoT...kinda odd ascertain.
Not at all. We've seen the raising of the dead in the show. We've seen how NK creates WWs with his touch. We've seen the very creation of the NK which, as I understand, didn't even happen in the books.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not at all. We've seen the raising of the dead in the show. We've seen how NK creates WWs with his touch. We've seen the very creation of the NK which, as I understand, didn't even happen in the books.

None of which are new powers you're alluding to...Both are creating wights. One by touching babies and the other by raising the dead surrounding him *Shrug*

The NK was a First Man before being turned into the first WW. Clearly Children of the Forest have powers though and bestowed some upon the NK when they turned him from First Man to WW. So far its all been passive power though. I imagine you're expecting him to have destructive powers like the Children of the Forest used on the WWs. Maybe he does. Maybe he doesn't. Perhaps the Children of the Forest weren't foolish enough to give him much else than the power to create wights.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
None of which are new powers you're alluding to...Both are creating wights. One by touching babies and the other by raising the dead surrounding him *Shrug*

The NK was a First Man before being turned into the first WW. Clearly Children of the Forest have powers though and bestowed some upon the NK when they turned him from First Man to WW. So far its all been passive power though. I imagine you're expecting him to have destructive powers like the Children of the Forest used on the WWs. Maybe he does. Maybe he doesn't. Perhaps the Children of the Forest weren't foolish enough to give him much else than the power to create wights.
Certainly gave him great strength and the ability to not only create wights but the more bad ass Walkers. The WWs have also used symbolism a few times that must mean something more. I suspect they don't just get beaten in a war. There's more to it.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It would be nice if the Walkers had some sort of motivation unto themselves, but perhaps when they were created with the singular purpose of defeating man, or defeating the invaders of Westeros, or however you want to think of it, they were rendered completely void of will and only able to carry out actions towards that end.

Hopefully it will be more complex and poetic than the typical "they embody pure evil, and must be dealt with" paradigm that's prevalent in pretty much every other fantasy epic.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be nice if the Walkers had some sort of motivation unto themselves, but perhaps when they were created with the singular purpose of defeating man, or defeating the invaders of Westeros, or however you want to think of it, they were rendered completely void of will and only able to carry out actions towards that end.

Hopefully it will be more complex and poetic than the typical "they embody pure evil, and must be dealt with" paradigm that's prevalent in pretty much every other fantasy epic.
If that was true they wouldn't have gone after the Children who created them. The symbols they've left behind with the dead widlings, then the dead horses placed in the spiral shape, suggest they do have will of their own and a purpose. The Starks specifically seem to be of most interest to them.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If that was true they wouldn't have gone after the Children who created them. The symbols they've left behind with the dead widlings, then the dead horses placed in the spiral shape, suggest they do have will of their own and a purpose. The Starks specifically seem to be of most interest to them.

The spiral shape was present when they were created and likely part of the ritual or simply a ceremonial formation; so that's not their own in any way, just a repetition of something done by The Children. There's obviously some symbolism there, but if it's explained or not...:shrug:

weirwood-tree-game-of-thrones.jpg

As for turning on The Children, we don't really know if that happened immediately or not. From the partial history we know that they called a truce, man would rule the "open lands" (plains, mountains, swamps) and the Children would take refuge in the forests. Then it was thousands of years before the Others invaded and the pact was tested. So I'm not sure whether or not the Walkers turned on them right off the bat, were defeated by man alone whom then fought the Children to a standstill, they just wandered off after being created to gather strength, or what. It could be that after the Children and the First Men teamed up they were then considered a part of the single enemy that the WW were tasked with destroying. Hopefully we get some answers -- just leaving it at "they were created by the Children to fight the First Men, and now they're evil" would be incredibly shitty.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The spiral shape was present when they were created and likely part of the ritual or simply a ceremonial formation; so that's not their own in any way, just a repetition of something done by The Children. There's obviously some symbolism there, but if it's explained or not...:shrug:

weirwood-tree-game-of-thrones.jpg

As for turning on The Children, we don't really know if that happened immediately or not. From the partial history we know that they called a truce, man would rule the "open lands" (plains, mountains, swamps) and the Children would take refuge in the forests. Then it was thousands of years before the Others invaded and the pact was tested. So I'm not sure whether or not the Walkers turned on them right off the bat, were defeated by man alone whom then fought the Children to a standstill, they just wandered off after being created to gather strength, or what. It could be that after the Children and the First Men teamed up they were then considered a part of the single enemy that the WW were tasked with destroying. Hopefully we get some answers -- just leaving it at "they were created by the Children to fight the First Men, and now they're evil" would be incredibly shitty.
From what I understand, what makes it more confusing is it's very different in the books as far as where the WWs come from and the timeline and all. There's a lot of theories out there that don't make sense cause they try to put things from both the show and book together.

Just with the NK's special focus on both Jon and Bran, I'd have to believe there's more to it than they're just evil and want to kill everyone which, btw, I understand is not Martin's style at all. That spiral symbol does start back at that tree where the Night King was created by Leaf. Episode 4 is titled The Big Tree so hoping for some more answers as soon as that.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, what am I supposed to do? lol, I know my replys to some of what others are right, and as such need to use the tags.......I could just simply reply, nope, your wrong, and leave it at that, but after 50 or so of those you would be tired of those as well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing you or that you are doing anything wrong because you aren't. I respect what you are doing. I guess I am a bit critical of the software itself where if I reply to something that you or someone else sends that contain a spoiler, it displays the content of the spoiler. IF my explanation makes any sense?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing you or that you are doing anything wrong because you aren't. I respect what you are doing. I guess I am a bit critical of the software itself where if I reply to something that you or someone else sends that contain a spoiler, it displays the content of the spoiler. IF my explanation makes any sense?

ahhh, ok got it now. Makes perfect sense.

I could try and talk like aussiebear between my spoiler tags, that should make it hard to decipher

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Ignore Prope... he is an ignorant, pretentious little boy.

Great, this fucking idiot. How ironic he shows up while discussing spoilers.

A couple years ago in the Bears forum, a nice thread discussing the teams LB's, out of nowhere this ignorant little wart describes the events of the 'Red Wedding' this was 6 months before that episode was going to air.

Everybody called him out, his response was bizarre, "why would you go into a LB thread looking for GOT spoilers?". Everybody just stopped and read it a few times, then a bunch of WTF's, nobody was looking for GOT spoilers, you just shit them out for no reason. The kid freaked out when he realized how stupid he sounded and started claiming that anyone who hasn't read GRR Martin is illiterate. I'm Not saying Martin is Dr. Seuss but he is not the benchmark for literacy. I disliked the fuck out of this little piece of shit everytime I saw him after that, haven't seen much of him in years, which is good.

Welcome back you Special person little speck of bloody stool.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

A couple years ago in the Bears forum, a nice thread discussing the teams LB's, out of nowhere this ignorant little wart describes the events of the 'Red Wedding' this was 6 months before that episode was going to air.

Everybody called him out, his response was bizarre, "why would you go into a LB thread looking for GOT spoilers?". Everybody just stopped and read it a few times, then a bunch of WTF's, nobody was looking for GOT spoilers, you just shit them out for no reason. The kid freaked out when he realized how stupid he sounded and started claiming that anyone who hasn't read GRR Martin is illiterate. I'm Not saying Martin is Dr. Seuss but he is not the benchmark for literacy. I disliked the fuck out of this little piece of shit everytime I saw him after that, haven't seen much of him in years, which is good.

He's a cunt.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

TL;DR

He's a cunt.

Thank you.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:

wowwww....thanks for the heads up

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Or he could reply without quoting and stop waiting for magical software that does that job for him.

UM, that's what I have been doing, numbnuts, once I found out that the spoiler content shows up when you reply to a post containing it. It is, however, a limitation of the software, bottom line.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qAHu2KifBQ

Interesting thoughts. Quite a bit of the basis for this comes from the books, to be fair. And the white walkers origin story is different in the show and doesn't really match up. But I do find it hard to believe the First Men could have built that giant magical wall of ice themselves.

Perhaps NK and co. have some other agenda, but I don't see it so much as "make the whole world winter and every living thing wights, blah blah blah". Martin isn't a big fan of things/people representing wholly good or evil, or wholly destructive. Although it's possible that the WW's want to establish a wintry peace in line with what I mentioned in the quotes. The WW's are certainly quite a bit different from the other characters on this show. However, I don't think they're an exception.

I think that the WWs are the weakest part of the entire story. They don't talk. They don't interact. All they do is look ugly, kill people and resurrect the dead to their "cause". They are kind of like cockroaches who can kill people.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think that the WWs are the weakest part of the entire story. They don't talk. They don't interact. All they do is look ugly, kill people and resurrect the dead to their "cause". They are kind of like cockroaches who can kill people.

Their lack of communication and dialogue, along with their powers and appearance, makes them more scary and mystifying IMO. I would fear that if the show creators(or Martin) tried to put dialogue in for these guys, it would ruin them.

Overall, there's still a lot to be known about the WWs. I am curious to see how their exposition plays out as the story progresses. I will admit they can be a bit stiff at times as characters, but I have a hard time thinking this is going to end up being Jon Snow,Bran,Dany & co. fighting the WWs like the Fellowship fought the Orcs.