Game of Thrones Thread

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've been reading up on the Clan Douglas murders that inspired the scene. Pretty heavy stuff. I also think Ned was loosely based on William Hastings in War of the Roses

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I noticed you have a general issue with the Starks that way, like they are too 2-dimensionally "good guy" types... and you're right, in the books, they aren't presented as so uniformly "good", although close to it. I don't remember Ned doing anything less than heroic-seeming in the books except making horrible decisions (like his son).

Catelyn still murdered an innocent, defenseless girl, and I think the show has done a good job of making Robb look like a colossal dumbass (good tactician, bad strategist, and kind of a hypocrite about all his pretenses to honor and oathkeeping)

I have no issue with the Starks and agree they are the most "likable" of the houses; but they are the "Wardens of the North" because they are sworn to kill wildlings, and runaway night's watchmen, for a living. Ned even made a point of teaching his children how to do it properly.

Consider this; the most well-liked character in the series is the imp, yes? Of all the people in the story, Tyrion has killed (engineered the death of) the most people out of everyone. And he did it with the most horrible method imaginable (but the show left out the "chain" part). Bronn is also popular and well liked; he'll kill anybody/anytime if the money is right, including bastard babies.

The most hated character might be a tie between Theon, Cersie and Joffrey, but between them they haven't even killed as many people as Arya and Bran. As near as I can tell, there really are no "good guys" in the story so far. It's all just degrees of ruthlessness and opportunity.

Or am I missing something.

(in the books I've read so far, even Hodor is semi-dangerous)

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Game of Thrones Season 3

I think it's no that, or how many, you killed, but why you killed

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
one thing I never got is couldn't rob have avoided all this shit with the Twins if he had just made a left instead of a right at the Green Fork? Or vice versa?

If I understand the geography right, you can't take an army south (or north) of the fork without passing through the Twins. Catelyn tried to explain all that to Rob before she made the wedding deal. Perhaps the show didn't do a very good job of stressing it enough, but in the books The Twins' castles are inter-connected/self-supporting/unassailable.

Plus, Frey has like a hundred kids and hundreds of grand kids; not even counting bastards, lesser house lordlings with their own keeps and strongholds, plus various bannermen and small folks all in defensive positions of their own.

In effect, it's the choke point for the entire landmass, if I read it right.

LanceStone

Liked Posts:
tumblr_mnw2qpo06D1qhnk1to1_250.gif

tumblr_mnueclaEJr1r4ztolo1_400.gif

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blackfish went to go find a tree. Greatjon got taken out of the show because the actor got his ear bitten off during a fight at a hotel.

Damn the bad luck. What were the odds he'd find himself at the same hotel as Mike Tyson?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Game of Thrones Season 3

If I understand the geography right, you can't take an army south (or north) of the fork without passing through the Twins. Catelyn tried to explain all that to Rob before she made the wedding deal. Perhaps the show didn't do a very good job of stressing it enough, but in the books The Twins' castles are inter-connected/self-supporting/unassailable.

Plus, Frey has like a hundred kids and hundreds of grand kids; not even counting bastards, lesser house lordlings with their own keeps and strongholds, plus various bannermen and small folks all in defensive positions of their own.

In effect, it's the choke point for the entire landmass, if I read it right.

If you look at the map, he could go north to avoid the twins but would cost a lot of time

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's no that, or how many, you killed, but why you killed

Isn't everyone killing for thier own benefit; the defense of their honor/family/house, or to further their own position, power, cause or agenda?

Can there be any doubt that Joffrey is as precious to Cersie as Robb is to Catelyn? In effect, the only "innocent" people (the ones getting fucked for no reason other than bad luck) is the unsullied, and it's almost impossible to feel bad for those baby killers.

When you think about it, there really isn't a sympathetic group/family/house in the whole bunch, except for 'maybe' the wildlings; and those wall climbing, rope cutting, women stealing ******* are pretty hard to feel sorry for too. In my humble (3 book reading) opinion.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like just 1 spoiler please. Did Momma Stark get killed in the same fashion in the book and
did she have a significant role afterwards.

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will only say that "in the book" Momma Stark got her throat cut, but that wasn't the worst of it. And we probably won't see her naked, even on HBO.

But stay tuned just in case.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'd like just 1 spoiler please. Did Momma Stark get killed in the same fashion in the book and
did she have a significant role afterwards.

yes and yes

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Isn't everyone killing for thier own benefit; the defense of their honor/family/house, or to further their own position, power, cause or agenda?

Can there be any doubt that Joffrey is as precious to Cersie as Robb is to Catelyn? In effect, the only "innocent" people (the ones getting fucked for no reason other than bad luck) is the unsullied, and it's almost impossible to feel bad for those baby killers.

When you think about it, there really isn't a sympathetic group/family/house in the whole bunch, except for 'maybe' the wildlings; and those wall climbing, rope cutting, women stealing ******* are pretty hard to feel sorry for too. In my humble (3 book reading) opinion.

I think that's definitely Martin's point. Nobody's innocent, but some people follow Westerosi laws more than others

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
stapler, see where the twins are vis-a-vis Winterfell? He could have ridden back north to get to either side but probably by then it would have been too late for whatever battle he needed to handle

Map2-2_Map_of_Westeros_Original.jpg

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That map illustrates the power of The Twins pretty well. Wouldn't it be cool if you could zoom in on it like google earth? ;-)

It's a choke point on the land mass and you cant go north or south of there without dealing with "The Late" Lord Frey and his host.

LanceStone

Liked Posts:
Am i the only one slightly disappointed they didn't go into full detail on Podricks encounter in the whore house?

604091_226356027489212_796247819_n.jpg

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
or you could go to riverrun at the trident and make your crossing there. but robb was in a hurry

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/season3/#!/map/

WOW, that's more badass than Jamarcus Russells sizzurp drinkin' right arm.

I don't care what meth smoking stalkers say about you...ole69 is the shiznit, and should be revered by all.

(but I still don't see a safe way around The Twins. It's kind of the whole reason Frey is so dangerous/powerful)

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Side note; Cersie was on Conan O'brien last night and, after admitting (to the author's face) that she hasn't read the books, expects to be killed off soon.

George R.R. will be a Conan guest tonight.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked Robb but it was so dumb to walk into that trap. At least leave mom and wifey at home.