Game of Thrones Thread

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked Robb but it was so dumb to walk into that trap. At least leave mom and wifey at home.

It's hard to tell from the show but Robb Stark was like 16-17 years old. (and yet was still smart enough to make his wife stay "at home" in the book)

Tywin Lannister is the single most ruthless/vindictive/badass mofo in the entire series, by far. It's really not even close. (see Castamere)

Any shitty thing that any Lannister has done was either at the behest, by the blessing of, or with at least a tacit acquiesence of Daddy Lannister; including sister-fucking, whore marrying and baby killing. The only major event (that I can think of) that happened contrary to Tywin's "plan" was the beheading of Ned. He was pretty pissed off about that action.

Anything anybody does, or doesn't do, is already a foregone conclusion for Tywin. He knew Arya was a girl as soon as he laid eyes on her, and even knew she was a northerner of "superior birth" that should be "kept close and watched." After losing several battles, and his eldest son, to Robb Stark you had to know Tywin was going to pull some maniacal shit to get the upper hand. Yes?

Not to mention the fact that Bolton let Jamie go, and then attended the Red Wedding with his "regards."

Who could possibly be more dangerous/ruthless than Tywin Lannister? (so far, nobody) Robb, the boy King of the North, never really had a chance.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Tywin. He's a badass. Takes the whole surname thing too seriously but they all do in GOT. I think he is extra ruthless to make up for his dumber, weaker kids. And I can tell you he does not like that Joffrey. Obviously sees him as an embarrassment, more so than his own freakish son.

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Tywin. He's a badass. Takes the whole surname thing too seriously but they all do in GOT. I think he is extra ruthless to make up for his dumber, weaker kids. And I can tell you he does not like that Joffrey. Obviously sees him as an embarrassment, more so than his own freakish son.

Once upon a time, Tywin was the son of an embarassingly weak father. His bannermen would often fuck him over and then laugh about it right in his father's face. Daddy Lannister did nothing, and the house was on the decline. They didn't even have a Valaryian Steel sword of their own, which is a big deal but the show skimmed over that bit. They lost it in some weak/sad/loser way.

Anyway...

Tywin came of age (early) and righted all the wrongs that had been done to their house...and then some. Put simply; he went full-chimp, and the disrespectful houses in question ceased to exist forever, except in songs people laugh about.

The "Rains of Castamere" was a "play" on one of those songs.

The phrase "Lannister's always pay their debts" sounds like a promise of gold for services rendered, but that's not what it means.

In fact, that's not what that phrase means at all.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I have no issue with the Starks and agree they are the most "likable" of the houses; but they are the "Wardens of the North" because they are sworn to kill wildlings, and runaway night's watchmen, for a living. Ned even made a point of teaching his children how to do it properly.
Or am I missing something.
I think you took that 'lesson' entirely wrong. I think it was quite obviously that Ned was teaching his children that being responsible for killing a person shouldn't be easy, hence the "Do it yourself" philosophy. It's too easy to order someone's death, and hence becomes trivial and meaningless. By doing it yourself, you feel the entire responsibility directly.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
tumblr_mngzjeK8ue1soo5r4o1_1280.png

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you took that 'lesson' entirely wrong. I think it was quite obviously that Ned was teaching his children that being responsible for killing a person shouldn't be easy, hence the "Do it yourself" philosophy. It's too easy to order someone's death, and hence becomes trivial and meaningless. By doing it yourself, you feel the entire responsibility directly.

I agree that Ned taught his children to take personal responsibility when doing their duty and killing a person, but that was kind of the point I was trying to make; though I probably didn't make it well. These people; squires, guards, bannermen, lordings etc., are taught/trained/raised from a very young age how to kill other people to protect them and their own.

And the North, more than any other region of the seven kingdoms, has a fairly steady "need/duty" to kill other people in their "area of influence." Runaway crows that didn't want to go to the wall in the first place, and wildlings that don't bend the knee to anyone, must be killed whenever they are found, yes? Especially when "winter is coming."

While not judging the right or wrong of it, this is the world/story these people are born into; and yet we're supposed to find the "good guys" in all this?

I just don't see it. But like I said, I'm probably missing something.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Re: Game of Thrones Season 3

Side note; Cersie was on Conan O'brien last night and, after admitting (to the author's face) that she hasn't read the books, expects to be killed off soon.

George R.R. will be a Conan guest tonight.

she is still alive in the books.

sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus on PPC

LanceStone

Liked Posts:
We mines well get the day started off right with a clip from this sick, twisted fuck, George R.R Martin.

[video=youtube;ulUBDu_97z8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulUBDu_97z8[/video]

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ya know something I just thought of.... Cat Stark dead.... Little Finger and/or Cat's sister liable to get fucking pissed..... I wonder if some retribution comes outta that corner.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Ya know something I just thought of.... Cat Stark dead.... Little Finger and/or Cat's sister liable to get fucking pissed..... I wonder if some retribution comes outta that corner.

You assume Lysa still gives a fuck about anybody anymore...

EDIT: except her son... you fucker :)

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
well...she gives a fuck about her son, lol

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Alright even if you discount Cat's nutso sister... Little Finger was crazy about Cat.... I just figured he would be pissed if nothing else

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alright even if you discount Cat's nutso sister... Little Finger was crazy about Cat.... I just figured he would be pissed if nothing else
Key word is "was". I don't know this for a fact, but his ambition trumps all... At least that's how I've seen the portrayal.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Alright so Red Wedding really stole the show last week.... but Jon Snow and Bran and his group had some cool stuff happen too.... I guess we know how Jon Snow vs Warg Dude goes haha.

Anyways.... Jon has escaped the Wildlings and he is back on the southside of the wall.... whats his gameplan? I guess alert the Nights Watch... try to take out these Wildlings and save Ygritt?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I want to see some dragon warging before the show is over.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Game of Thrones Season 3

Alright so Red Wedding really stole the show last week.... but Jon Snow and Bran and his group had some cool stuff happen too.... I guess we know how Jon Snow vs Warg Dude goes haha.

Anyways.... Jon has escaped the Wildlings and he is back on the southside of the wall.... whats his gameplan? I guess alert the Nights Watch... try to take out these Wildlings and save Ygritt?

My guess is he'd still try to make peace with them. Not to pretend to be part of them again but to say they're not the problem they need to be focusing on now.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
My guess is he'd still try to make peace with them. Not to pretend to be part of them again but to say they're not the problem they need to be focusing on now.

This makes sense, but since when does RR Martin ever make sense? He's kept me guessing this entire series.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
New versus.... Hodor vs The Mountain, with both unarmed....