Game of Thrones Thread

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jamie will be a very big player in the end game. Where is Remy anyways? I remember quite the debate with him where he was claiming Jamie didn't have a redemption arc.
I've no doubt Jaime gains full redemption in every way possible.
Not buying it, the Nk was coming regardless. Could have just went around the wall at Eastwatch. One way or the other he was getting past. I have seen the same argument made about Jon/Dany, had they not lost a dragon the NK wasn't going to make it through.
The NK always wanted to come, but there was a wall, magic and a watch that prevented him from coming. Bran erased all that powerful protection that was so sound it held NK at bay for thousands of years before some no personality having, snot nosed, entitled bitch fucked it all up.
In all likelihood, the symbol represents a celestial event, like the comet. Celestial events can be seen around the world, and as a result similarities happen by coincidence. I think the message that the NK is trying to convey is that this is the dawn of a new age, nothing more.
Again, don't think the show is making the symbol mean anything other than the NK and his army are coming. The show has already shown the symbol merely reflects the same design around the place the NK was created. It's basically nothing more than his calling card.
How mad would we all be if the show builds to a climactic battle, and then ends like Monty Python?
How did that end? When I think of lame ending for popular shows I think of Lost. Don't think GOT ends anything like that with expected spinoffs coming. At worst, it would be a Sopranos-like ending where some people get it and are ok with it while others just think it totally sucked.
This season has an emperor has no clothes feeling to me. By that I mean, it will be hugely disappointing but all the fanboys will not want to admit it was a letdown so they will pretend it was great just like the people pretended the emperor had clothes.
At this point viewers are invested with the characters so when Jon goes dragonback riding with his new love interest, finds out his true heritage or reunites with Arya, that's good TV and the reason so many people tune in to watch.
As for the episode itself. Yawn. I mean the storytelling here was quite pathetic. Euron has Yara all this time and then just to move the plot along, Theon casually comes aboard kills a few people and rescues her begging the question as to why all of a sudden this is possible. It is like we are expected to believe Euron's crew is completely incompetent the minute he leaves the ship to fuck a Queen.
Nothing like that was suspected with the war between the Living and the Dead on the horizon. Probably just a skeleton crew left onboard after the long voyage.
The mad king was mad because of incense background. Ya think they would learn their lesson.
A long time theory suggests the Mad King was mad cause Bran intervened with him, and warned him the dead were coming much in the same way he made Hodor a re re as he wanted him to focus just on that one thing.
I know Jon hasn't acted on anything yet. I was referring to Sam's comment and fans expecting some drama from this. Jon bent the knee for the good of his people due to the threat. His finding out he is Aegon doesnt change the threat so he should be willing to sacrifice the throne for his people again. There is nothing in his character to date to suggest he suddenly should value power more than his people so not sure why Sam or fans are expecting some big drama. To now care more about the throne than stopping the Night King and come into conflict with Dany would be stupid.
It is a major deal in GOT world. Even as motivated as Dany was to take the throne, she did go North, giving the fight against the Dead top priority. The thing here is we all know Jon doesn't give a damn about ruling. He is truly just focused on the war against the Dead and never wanted to be King of anything. Yet the fact he is who he is could change a lot of things, possibly for the better or possibly for the worst. Keeping the secret also isn't Jon's way, he's honest to a fault. Certainly the North would rally around him even better if he were to say Dany has since bent the knee and proclaimed him King. Best to leave the bit of being a Targaryen out of it with them but chances are very good that he'll tell other main characters like Dany and Arya, possibly even Sansa just because it would feel like he was lying to them by omission if he didn't.

I've always predicted that in the end, neither Jon nor Dany will want to take the throne or even keep it as a thing. That wheel will be broken as they become the defacto King and Queen during the transitional phase but allow the Iron Throne to remain in ruins so none will rule from it again, instead letting each Kingdom rule itself.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Comes a point where saving the entire human race should take precedence over petty emotions. That is the point.

Hence why I said I am rooting for the night king. Any society that values xenophobia over continued existence is probably deserving of extinction.

As I pointed out earlier, it is not a one or the other option. The Northerners can prepare for battle and not like Dany at the same time. Right now they are tolerating her because of the NK. This is a 100% rational reaction to her and her armies, "don't like them, but need them".

This is not a plot flaw, it is 100% what would happen in the environment they have set up, it is consistant with the story. If they welcomed her with open arms that would be a deal breaking writing fuck up. They wanted no part of the wildlings and they look the same as them, everything they know about Targaryen's is bad. Imagine if Genghis Khan and his Mongol horde showed up in Scotland in 1000 AD, even if it was to help defeat a common enemy.

Remy, you are getting hung up on unimportant things, the northerners don't like Dany and her armies, that is completely understandable and consistent with the world Martin has created, and so far it has had no impact on preparations for the army of the dead. At some point loyalties will be tested, I look forward to how the show handles it, if the show messes this up I will be angry, but I'm going to wait for it to happen first.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As I pointed out earlier, it is not a one or the other option. The Northerners can prepare for battle and not like Dany at the same time. Right now they are tolerating her because of the NK. This is a 100% rational reaction to her and her armies, "don't like them, but need them".

This is not a plot flaw, it is 100% what would happen in the environment they have set up, it is consistant with the story. If they welcomed her with open arms that would be a deal breaking writing fuck up. They wanted no part of the wildlings and they look the same as them, everything they know about Targaryen's is bad. Imagine if Genghis Khan and his Mongol horde showed up in Scotland in 1000 AD, even if it was to help defeat a common enemy.

Remy, you are getting hung up on unimportant things, the northerners don't like Dany and her armies, that is completely understandable and consistent with the world Martin has created, and so far it has had no impact on preparations for the army of the dead. At some point loyalties will be tested, I look forward to how the show handles it, if the show messes this up I will be angry, but I'm going to wait for it to happen first.

Not getting hung up at all. I said I found it stupid. You getting hung up on the fact I found it stupid. Not even sure why we still dicussing it. I am not going to think it any less stupid because you want me to. To each his own.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maester Charles Darwin hasn't been introduced as a character yet.

Darwin didnt invent evolution. It happens without him. The fact is it is pretty dumb to worry about shit like this when your species is at risk.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to regret this.

Euron's crew was ashore getting drunk and laid like their captain, the 5 or 6 guys left behind were toilet cleaners, his worst men.

I think the writers did terrific job of setting up the animosity towards Dany, that is completely spot on. They can prepare for battle and throw shade the queen simultaneously, the northerners are famous for their multi-tasking abilities.

Jon bent the knee when the two option for ruler of Westeros were Cersi and Dany, and it was the only way he was going to get Dany's army up north. Jon obviously had no idea he was heir to the throne, he just found this out, Dany doesn't even know yet, you think Jon should just run out of the crypt and ask his aunt to marry him so they can rule together?

I'm looking forward to seeing how Dany and Jon handle this new information, if it turns out to be stupid I'll call them out on it, but I'm going to wait and see what happens before call it "dumb", or Jon a "bitch".

"why should he fight so hard to be King of the Seven Kingdoms" He isn't, that is not something that has happened. Calm your tits remy, wait for something to happen before you hate it.

And here we go.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of the bolded. On that part, and that part alone, I think Remy is right. As Bran said, We don't have time for this shit, none of this matters.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. It is plot induced stupidity is my point. Who leaves a valuable prisoner protected by his most incompetent men? Absurd.

2. I find it petty given the nature of the threat. And their arguments here are quite xenophobic. They offer nothing of substance for not following her beyond the fact she is foreign.

3. I know Jon hasn't acted on anything yet. I was referring to Sam's comment and fans expecting some drama from this. Jon bent the knee for the good of his people due to the threat. His finding out he is Aegon doesnt change the threat so he should be willing to sacrifice the throne for his people again. There is nothing in his character to date to suggest he suddenly should value power more than his people so not sure why Sam or fans are expecting some big drama. To now care more about the throne than stopping the Night King and come into conflict with Dany would be stupid.
Come on man!
Black-ops Greyjoy is da bomb.

i don't think Euron for a moment expected a rescue attempt, not while in KL. he is under the impression Theon is dead, and even if alive, Theon played chickenshit the last Euron saw him. His suddenly growing a pair was not to be expected.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not that it matters too much but I think your version may be the one that's wrong. Maybe the book says that or hints at it but the show certainly has not. The wall and these caves I've mentioned were said to be protected by magic that keeps the NK and his army out. When Uncle Benjen was at the wall he mentioned to Bran he could not pass that point cause it was protected by magic.

The wall and the cave are two different things. The magic that protects the cave is different than the magic that protects the wall ( I mean how do you hide a wall that stretches across the whole continent?). Benjen cannot pass beyond the wall because benjen is dead. The Nk is not dead. he never died. Watch this scene, this is the one and only time we see the NK actually leading the attack. When his hand touches the ground he breaks the magic that protects the cave (maybe it was both). If he had known the location all along, he could have just had the wights camped out all around it for decades, not letting the children out of the cave.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Darwin didnt invent evolution. It happens without him. The fact is it is pretty dumb to worry about shit like this when your species is at risk.
It's certainly easy for you to say this, having seen what the NK can do. Can you say the same about the Northern clans? Your whole point, and the way you're framing it, is just fucking Special person.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree with everything you said with the exception of the bolded. On that part, and that part alone, I think Remy is right. As Bran said, We don't have time for this shit, none of this matters.

Sort of fucked up, Bran is the most mature person in the whole continent.

Come on man!
Black-ops Greyjoy is da bomb.

i don't think Euron for a moment expected a rescue attempt, not while in KL. he is under the impression Theon is dead, and even if alive, Theon played chickenshit the last Euron saw him. His suddenly growing a pair was not to be expected.

Whether he expected it or not, it is still asinine. I mean I don't think a prison expects a break in every single night but you still prepare for it. Anyways, like I said, to each his own.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've no doubt Jaime gains full redemption in every way possible.
The NK always wanted to come, but there was a wall, magic and a watch that prevented him from coming. Bran erased all that powerful protection that was so sound it held NK at bay for thousands of years before some no personality having, snot nosed, entitled bitch fucked it all up.
Again, don't think the show is making the symbol mean anything other than the NK and his army are coming. The show has already shown the symbol merely reflects the same design around the place the NK was created. It's basically nothing more than his calling card.
How did that end? When I think of lame ending for popular shows I think of Lost. Don't think GOT ends anything like that with expected spinoffs coming. At worst, it would be a Sopranos-like ending where some people get it and are ok with it while others just think it totally sucked.
At this point viewers are invested with the characters so when Jon goes dragonback riding with his new love interest, finds out his true heritage or reunites with Arya, that's good TV and the reason so many people tune in to watch.
Nothing like that was suspected with the war between the Living and the Dead on the horizon. Probably just a skeleton crew left onboard after the long voyage.
A long time theory suggests the Mad King was mad cause Bran intervened with him, and warned him the dead were coming much in the same way he made Hodor a re re as he wanted him to focus just on that one thing.
It is a major deal in GOT world. Even as motivated as Dany was to take the throne, she did go North, giving the fight against the Dead top priority. The thing here is we all know Jon doesn't give a damn about ruling. He is truly just focused on the war against the Dead and never wanted to be King of anything. Yet the fact he is who he is could change a lot of things, possibly for the better or possibly for the worst. Keeping the secret also isn't Jon's way, he's honest to a fault. Certainly the North would rally around him even better if he were to say Dany has since bent the knee and proclaimed him King. Best to leave the bit of being a Targaryen out of it with them but chances are very good that he'll tell other main characters like Dany and Arya, possibly even Sansa just because it would feel like he was lying to them by omission if he didn't.

I've always predicted that in the end, neither Jon nor Dany will want to take the throne or even keep it as a thing. That wheel will be broken as they become the defacto King and Queen during the transitional phase but allow the Iron Throne to remain in ruins so none will rule from it again, instead letting each Kingdom rule itself.

The Nk was going to find his way into the world of men, one way or the other. You can argue that they made it easier for him and I could be ok with that, but one way or the other, he was going to get there. 6 minute mark, listen, and learn ;)

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah, but the Glovers packed their bags and went home, so this kinda supports what Remy is saying in this regard. I think it is manufactured drama, not rooted in realism (well as much realism as you can get with dragons magic et all). the Notherners shouldn't give two fucks about any of that in light of the current situation. Now, after the battle, then all that could come back into play.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's certainly easy for you to say this, having seen what the NK can do. Can you say the same about the Northern clans? Your whole point, and the way you're framing it, is just fucking Special person.

Right because it is not like the guy they elected King of the North hasn't told them how serious the threat is so much so he just bent the knee to gain allies. I am sure he did that for shits and giggles.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nah, Jamie gets it. You remember jamie don't you?

Yeah looking forward to his death and no it will not be redeeming. What he does is not going to bring back all the people he allowed die because he enjoyed his sister's vag.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah looking forward to his death and no it will not be redeeming. What he does is not going to bring back all the people he allowed die because he enjoyed his sister's vag.

LOL, always Remy, never can admit he was wrong, so wrong. What about the half million people he saved? Bran seems to think he has an important part to play, waiting out for him all day in the cold.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL, always Remy, never can admit he was wrong, so wrong. What about the half million people he saved? Bran seems to think he has an important part to play, waiting out for him all day in the cold.

Wrong about what? If you murder 500 people and save 10,000 you arent redeemed as those 500 dont magically get resurrected.

Human lives are not just a counting stat that can be offset. Ned Stark still dead.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wrong about what? If you murder 500 people and save 10,000 you arent redeemed as those 500 dont magically get resurrected.

Human lives are not just a counting stat that can be offset. Ned Stark still dead.

LOL, everyone here knows (well the ones that can remember anyways) that you were wrong. But thanks for staying in Remy character, I might fall out of my chair if you were to admit it. For those that don't remember, the argument started two years ago, when I brought up the fact jamie was on a redemption arc. Remy vehemently disagreed (full-on remy spiral multiple page rant). TBH, i don't think he has a clue what a "redemption arc" is, as the term is applied to creative writing.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yeah, but the Glovers packed their bags and went home, so this kinda supports what Remy is saying in this regard. I think it is manufactured drama, not rooted in realism (well as much realism as you can get with dragons magic et all). the Notherners shouldn't give two fucks about any of that in light of the current situation. Now, after the battle, then all that could come back into play.

You and remy are combining two separate things.

1. Fight together to defeat the NK and his army of the dead.
2. The Northerners do not like Dany and her armies, they are holding their noses and tolerating the foreigners to survive.

Martin and the show have depicted the Northerners like this from the first. If they handled it any other way, "welcome to the north Dany", would ruin the story.

This is not unique to Westeros, 1991 Saudi Arabia, the citizens hated the American military in their country, but tolerated it to defeat a common enemy.

Yeah guys I know, "that would never happen".