Game of Thrones Thread

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Heard so much about Grey Worm dying here but the fact he tells Missandei he'll take her home maybe foreshadowing (kinda weak though) he actually survives this. No way Jaime dies. Bronn's nowhere close to the action soooooo, no. Brienne possibly. Either her or their new group singer. Hound sticks around for the Clegane Bowl at the end. Berek, I'm gonna go way out there and say NK does get to Bran and kills him. Berek brings him back and dies himself.

Brienne's knighthood will have lasted less than 24 hours, IMO she is going to die a heroic death by NK (or more likely, one of the Generals) while saving Sansa or Jaime in the battle. She gone. And Giantbane will die alongside her.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Ehh, so the Dorne storyline is over & done with? Was hoping that region/tribe would be more than just a tangent.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Ehh, so the Dorne storyline is over & done with? Was hoping that region/tribe would be more than just a tangent.
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

I almost forgot.....

The Sand Snake that Cersei killed with the poison, was that the one that The Hawk thought Bronn was going to marry?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I personally think Dorne's role and the role of The Reach were largely squashed in order to simplify the TV story.

RR Martin had a whole thread about Doran Martell's (gout guy, killed by Sand Snakes, Oberyn's brother) son who went off in search of Dany and wanted to marry her and all this jazz, and I imagine that son (who doesn't exist in the show) would have brought Dorne around to fight with Dany at some point.

He also had a whole fucking thread about Rhaegar's first born son Aegon by Ellia Martell, who supposedly was killed by The Mountain during the sacking of King's Landing, but really he survived and grew up across the Narrow Sea with one of those mercenary companies, and Tyrion hooks up with that mercenary company and they land back in Westeros to try to claim the throne, just like Dany did.

I think people who have only seen the show don't realize RR Martin had like a dozen more story threads running, in theory tying together and/or including more of the 7 Kingdoms into the final outcome of the story.

Methinks the TV writers talked to him and found out many of these threads were just there to keep the readers guessing, and would dead-end (literally in some cases), and so they were not vital to getting to the major plot points that wrap up the story.

For instance, Stannis never died in the books and they ended close to where he died in the show.... but in the books he was camped near Winterfell heading North, presumably to end up helping the Night's Watch as he did in the show.... and I would not be shocked if he plodded along as a decoy in RR Martin's book story farther down the road than he did in the show, but the TV Writers likely said "Why keep having him in the story for 5-10 more episodes, when we know he is a literal dead-end?"

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Either/or. Doesn't really matter but the season preview gave away the retreat. The route of retreat will take them through the crypt which will mean they have to take Bran through there and that means NK will know their whereabouts and pursue. That's the part of the season preview we see Arya running scared through there, maybe trying to distract him so the others could get away.

The Dothraki and their horses, the unsullied, every Northerner man woman and child, all escape single file through the crypt? No, what we saw was one person, Arya, being chased through the crypt.

It does matter, if they planned a coordinated strategic retreat and just did it off camera, that is a problem. If they attempt to plan it as the battle begins, that would be a problem. If they have no plan and all just happen to wind up in the same place by chance, that would be a problem.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Dothraki and their horses, the unsullied, every Northerner man woman and child, all escape single file through the crypt? No, what we saw was one person, Arya, being chased through the crypt.

It does matter, if they planned a coordinated strategic retreat and just did it off camera, that is a problem. If they attempt to plan it as the battle begins, that would be a problem. If they have no plan and all just happen to wind up in the same place by chance, that would be a problem.
Not all use it but obviously the ones kept there from the fighting and other main characters will. Arya distracts. She’ll get away of course.

Houston

Liked Posts:
Last night's episode was pretty well received by a lot of reviewers.

All the same.

Dany was in an important conversation with Sansa that got interrupted by Theon. Then she was in an important conversation with Jon that got interrupted by the White Walkers. A conversation that took Jon an entire episode to start, to begin with.

They're hinting at meaningful stuff and then making the audience wait for it. It's the type of stuff you see when shows are just trying to fill time by dragging out the story, which is also exactly what we're seeing with all the table setting.

A good reception doesn't mean the show isn't plotblocking or stalling if you will...

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All the same.

Dany was in an important conversation with Sansa that got interrupted by Theon. Then she was in an important conversation with Jon that got interrupted by the White Walkers. A conversation that took Jon an entire episode to start, to begin with.

They're hinting at meaningful stuff and then making the audience wait for it. It's the type of stuff you see when shows are just trying to fill time by dragging out the story, which is also exactly what we're seeing with all the table setting.

A good reception doesn't mean the show isn't plotblocking or stalling if you will...

Or it could be that everyone else is right, it was a good episode, and you just like to bitch.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
All the same.

Aren't you the Fear the Walking Dead guy? Should you even be discussing good television?

@number51 please confirm?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I personally think Dorne's role and the role of The Reach were largely squashed in order to simplify the TV story.

RR Martin had a whole thread about Doran Martell's (gout guy, killed by Sand Snakes, Oberyn's brother) son who went off in search of Dany and wanted to marry her and all this jazz, and I imagine that son (who doesn't exist in the show) would have brought Dorne around to fight with Dany at some point.

He also had a whole fucking thread about Rhaegar's first born son Aegon by Ellia Martell, who supposedly was killed by The Mountain during the sacking of King's Landing, but really he survived and grew up across the Narrow Sea with one of those mercenary companies, and Tyrion hooks up with that mercenary company and they land back in Westeros to try to claim the throne, just like Dany did.

I think people who have only seen the show don't realize RR Martin had like a dozen more story threads running, in theory tying together and/or including more of the 7 Kingdoms into the final outcome of the story.

Methinks the TV writers talked to him and found out many of these threads were just there to keep the readers guessing, and would dead-end (literally in some cases), and so they were not vital to getting to the major plot points that wrap up the story.

For instance, Stannis never died in the books and they ended close to where he died in the show.... but in the books he was camped near Winterfell heading North, presumably to end up helping the Night's Watch as he did in the show.... and I would not be shocked if he plodded along as a decoy in RR Martin's book story farther down the road than he did in the show, but the TV Writers likely said "Why keep having him in the story for 5-10 more episodes, when we know he is a literal dead-end?"

He wrote himself into a black hole with all his unnecessary additions as the books went on......one of the reasons we have seen a new book since 2011.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Aren't you the Fear the Walking Dead guy? Should you even be discussing good television?

@number51 please confirm?

100%, @Houston loved the first seasons of FTWD, his opinions on all things entertainment should be viewed as twisted, and unreliable.

Houston

Liked Posts:
I just realized there was no meaningful conflict last night. Every character ended up in a neutral or better position than when they started the episode.

Game of Thrones is built on inter and intra group conflict and we got neither last night in any serious form. The White Walkers didn't come and in the mean time everyone forgave each other and got along.

That's cool for one episode I guess, but two?

Last edited:

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just wanted Missandei and Grey Worm to have a happy ending. But after all that shit last episode, you can pretty much guarantee that at least Grey Worm is going to die.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He wrote himself into a black hole with all his unnecessary additions as the books went on......one of the reasons we have seen a new book since 2011.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wrote himself into a black hole"... like painted himself into a corner of sorts?

He definitely went very very wide on the story/characters and had/has a large number of threads to tie together or tie off.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what you mean by "wrote himself into a black hole"... like painted himself into a corner of sorts?

He definitely went very very wide on the story/characters and had/has a large number of threads to tie together or tie off.

Exactly. He got a little too wild and added unnecessary characters. Like you mentioned the prince of dorne went searching for danerys which isn’t bad cause the dornish were always allies with the targaryans. But it ended up being book filler fodder since he wasted so much on him just to see him killed by the dragons.

I guess that is where having a budget for a show helps keep the story line cleaner and simpler where as the books it just costs you pennies to add pages and endless amount of characters but you risk ending up in a cluster fuck cause things are ending up right

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just realized there was no meaningful conflict last night. Every character ended up in a neutral or better position than when they started the episode.

Game of Thrones is built on inter and intra group conflict and we got neither last night in any serious form. The White Walkers didn't come and in the mean time everyone forgave each other and got along.

They are facing the end of humanity and a fucking King trying to erase any memory of them from the planet. Im pretty sure that will bring people together. You know? Cant hate someone if no one is alive.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Sansa vs. Dany
Dany vs. Tyrion
The Hound vs. Berec
The Hound vs. Arya
Sam vs. Ed
Jon vs. Dany

And The White Walkers did come.

Houston

Liked Posts:
They are facing the end of humanity and a fucking King trying to erase any memory of them from the planet. Im pretty sure that will bring people together. You know? Cant hate someone if no one is alive.

Hate, which you admit the characters can't do now, is what fueled the show.