Game of Thrones Thread

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also, in terms of the "Who is the Night King?"... this question seems to spawn from RR Martin's writings where he has a variety of characters recite mythology around the Night King.

However, in the show we saw at least that he was an ordinary man turned into the Night King by the Children of the Forrest.

If he was part of an ancient line like the Starks, it was a very very long time ago.... it isn't like there will be a reveal that Night King turns out to be Ned's brother Brandon or The Mad King (I actually saw someone posit this)... he would be an ancient barbarian Stark who got snatched by the Children...

Yeah in the books, the Night's King was the 13th commander of the Night Watch who fell in love with what appears to be a female White Walker. So that would have been after the war with the First Men. So it is clear the show changed the origin and timeline. Also worth noting the Night's King has never appeared in the books and the White Walkers appear to not have a leader and are more of an off page threat.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
NK is like The Godfather. Never let anyone outside of the family know what you are thinking. Fucking Sonny

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Respect is different from empathy, and I would agree.

I mean heck I respect Cersei's ability to survive... her ruthlessness... but I don't empathize with her.

If you build a villain and then give ample reason to empathize with them, you've kinda gone in a circle.

If you intend to do that... if the character is intended to be a villain who comes around to being a protagonist, ala Theon Greyjoy... that's fine.

But if you just build a character to be a villain, then make me empathize with him, then ask me to continue viewing the villain as evil, it dilutes the villain.

RR Martin and the show writers seem to have done a good job of avoiding that mistake.... even Ramsay Snow/Bolton... they could have fallen into that trap with his relationship (or lack of one) with Roose Bolton, but instead they managed to paint him as a villain in spite of his circumstances with Roose. Same with Joffrey in general, in the book RR Martin vaguely brings up Robert's treatment of Joffrey perhaps being part of why Joffrey's sociopathic tendencies got so bad based on Robert beating Joffrey for killing a cat as a small child rather than attempting to perhaps stifle that part of Joffrey as a father ought to.... the show ignores that IIRC, and just allows Joffrey to be a psycho villain for you to hate.... and whether you like Sansa or Tyrion or Ser Dontos.... the hate Joffrey invokes, builds the backing for the protagonists that he torments.

Imagine if they actually gave you flashbacks showing how Joffrey was mistreated and neglected.... painted him as a tragic figure rather than a total sociopath... would have robbed us of a truly great villain.

Well Martin himself has said he tries not to write characters that are wholly good or wholly evil but I think the showrunners have tried to fit things into a more US based TV/movie mindset where there are clear distinctions between villain and hero. Probably one of my gripes with the show as it dumbs down the characters in that regard IMO.

Houston

Liked Posts:
I like the idea that the crypts that everyone is heading to for safety is going to be a danger zone.

We know the night king can resurrect people, maybe somehow he manages to do it with the buried bodies/skeletons down there.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'd have to disagree here. He was created by the children of the forest. He didn't look too thrilled when being created. So there's that.

Hard to sympathize with his goal as the NK, but I don't think anyone knows that he was inherently evil before being turned, or if his turning was against his own will. One could sympathize with his previous humanistic pre-NK existence if more of the story were revealed.

Not sure the show will ever go that far. Would be interesting if they answered a little more about him other than the children turned him and this is what you get in return.

They probably intentionally leave stuff like that out for future prequels. Hollywood baby $$$$ lol

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I like the idea that the crypts that everyone is heading to for safety is going to be a danger zone.

We know the night king can resurrect people, maybe somehow he manages to do it with the buried bodies/skeletons down there.
Thought I read something about the souls being protected by the swords. Not sure about that. There's a lot of people speculating the dead raise in the crypts, but there's also a lot of things that don't line up in that theory.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have seen it strongly theorized he only sends half his army to WF while he heads to KL with the rest, knowing he can turn that large population into an even much bigger army of his own.

I don't see that happening. In the preview we see Dany swooping downwards on her dragon. I'd say more than likely a desperate attempt to save Jon, who has just engaged NK in 1 on 1 battle, and had his sword shattered.

Ah. Had not seen that proposed. Interesting that we did not see him though. We shall see.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have seen it strongly theorized he only sends half his army to WF while he heads to KL with the rest, knowing he can turn that large population into an even much bigger army of his own.

I don't see that happening. In the preview we see Dany swooping downwards on her dragon. I'd say more than likely a desperate attempt to save Jon, who has just engaged NK in 1 on 1 battle, and had his sword shattered.

??

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The crypt thing is fucking stupid. I'd be pissed if they went that route.
Quite certain they won't. NK won't be entering the crypts til the end of the episode when they are in retreat and he follows Bran through there. Also, just from a common sense aspect, the bodies would be unrecognizable and nothing but skeletons. Will see some, who die early in the battle, rise as wights and fight the good guys.

Before last episode, I wasn't thinking Jaime wouldn't die but did Bran foreshadow that he would? Jaime asked if he'd keep the whole thing secret after the war against the dead and Bran replied, "what makes you think there will be an afterwards?"

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quite certain they won't. NK won't be entering the crypts til the end of the episode when they are in retreat and he follows Bran through there. Also, just from a common sense aspect, the bodies would be unrecognizable and nothing but skeletons. Will see some, who die early in the battle, rise as wights and fight the good guys.

Before last episode, I wasn't thinking Jaime wouldn't die but did Bran foreshadow that he would? Jaime asked if he'd keep the whole thing secret after the war against the dead and Bran replied, "what makes you think there will be an afterwards?"
Was it you who said you thought Theon's redemption was to easy?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goes to what we were saying before when you mentioned Dany and Jon have to go beyond the wall to retrieve some kind of artifact/weapon. I’ve since theorized this is not a 1 round fight between Jon and NK. Think NK takes round 1 cause Long Claw can’t hold up to him and merely shatters during their fight. He then needs to find a more appropriate weapon for round 2. Well, that and the sacrifice that will be required.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

My only problem, and this is nit-picking, with this last episode was that I would have liked more dialogue between Bran and Jaime, as well as the conversation Bran and Tyrion had.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only problem, and this is nit-picking, with this last episode was that I would have liked more dialogue between Bran and Jaime, as well as the conversation Bran and Tyrion had.
I think all was said that need be said between Bran and Jaime. Jaime regrets what he did to him but Bran isn't Bran anymore so no need to expound on that. As Bran did say, he wouldn't be the 3 eyed Raven without that event and Jaime wouldn't be who he is.

Was thinking the Bran/Tyrion dialogue could have gone on longer or are we to assume they had more off camera? With Bran being marked, he is a disadvantage to team Jon as they will never leave Bran behind and NK will always know where they are because of it. Bran should have someone to pass the knowledge on to in the event of his demise. Tyrion would have been an interesting choice to succeed him.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think all was said that need be said between Bran and Jaime. Jaime regrets what he did to him but Bran isn't Bran anymore so no need to expound on that. As Bran did say, he wouldn't be the 3 eyed Raven without that event and Jaime wouldn't be who he is.

Was thinking the Bran/Tyrion dialogue could have gone on longer or are we to assume they had more off camera? With Bran being marked, he is a disadvantage to team Jon as they will never leave Bran behind and NK will always know where they are because of it. Bran should have someone to pass the knowledge on to in the event of his demise. Tyrion would have been an interesting choice to succeed him.
Sure, if you're under the assumption that it works like that.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Think NK takes round 1 cause Long Claw can’t hold up to him and merely shatters during their fight.

The NK can shatter a Valerian steel sword? Is this a personal theory, or something verified? If it is verified that would make it a major spoiler, I sure hope that's not the case.