o-GOT-570.jpg

o-TOMMEN-570.jpg

o-GROUP2-570.jpg

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't know anything about this, because I'm becoming quite a rabid anti-HBOist due to the sheer amount of discussion I see about HBO shows on here, on social media, everywhere. But what is it about this Game of Thrones show? I don't get it. This thread is constantly being bumped to the top of the page so obviously there's some appeal. I caught about 10 mins of it a few weeks ago, and it looked like some renaissance drama with people in silly costumes. I don't get it. I don't get Breaking Bad, or the True Detective thing either. Men never used to discuss television dramas with so much vigour.

So what's the deal?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The deal is we give no fucks if you don't like it. Now kindly exit this thread if you have nothing to do with it.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't know anything about this, because I'm becoming quite a rabid anti-HBOist due to the sheer amount of discussion I see about HBO shows on here, on social media, everywhere. But what is it about this Game of Thrones show? I don't get it. This thread is constantly being bumped to the top of the page so obviously there's some appeal I caught about 10 mins of it a few weeks ago, and it looked like some silly renaissance drama with people in sily costumes. I don't get it. I don't get Breaking Bad, or the True Detective thing either. Men never used to discuss television dramas with so much vigour.

So what's the deal?

The show had a very large book following. HBO brought the books to life. I'm not sure I would call GOT a drama. There really isn't anything to compare it to. It is very different because it mixes supernatural with the "Game" the supernatural adds to the story it doesn't really drive it. No character is safe. I can not stress that enough. Pretty much every episode some major death might happen. I think that is part of the appeal. Waiting for the next WTF moment I think draws people in. It is also unpredictable. It is sensational and sophisticated. The characters drive the story. The political struggle, backstabbing, rapidly changing aliances it all is just hard to really explain. AND......Tyrion, is pretty awesome.

My girl wasn't really interested. She said it was not something she would normally get into but she would watch it with me. I told her to watch 3 episodes with me and if she didn't like it she could stop. Now she is HOOKED.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The show had a very large book following. HBO brought the books to life. I'm not sure I would call GOT a drama. There really isn't anything to compare it to. It is very different because it mixes supernatural with the "Game" the supernatural adds to the story it doesn't really drive it. No character is safe. I can not stress that enough. Pretty much every episode some major death might happen. I think that is part of the appeal. Waiting for the next WTF moment I think draws people in. It is also unpredictable. It is sensational and sophisticated. The characters drive the story. The political struggle, backstabbing, rapidly changing aliances it all is just hard to really explain. AND......Tyrion, is pretty awesome.

My girl wasn't really interested. She said it was not something she would normally get into but she would watch it with me. I told her to watch 3 episodes with me and if she didn't like it she could stop. Now she is HOOKED.

Ah, I didn't realize it was a book before it was made into a TV show. Perhaps I'll give season one a try. It certainly seems unbelievable popular.

I still think the whole HBO craze in general is annoying though.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ah, I didn't realize it was a book before it was made into a TV show. Perhaps I'll give season one a try. It certainly seems unbelievable popular.

Its actually a series of books.... the book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire and right now its at 5 books, I just started reading book 1, I bought the first 5.

Books 6 and 7 will supposedly be the last 2 but have not been completed or released IIRC... Book 6 should be out in the next year or so the last time I checked.

If the old fuck writer doesnt finish the books before he croaks, HBO has creative control and enough info from the writer to finish the series off.... its worth watching the first couple episodes to see if it hooks you in.

My sister watched the 1st episode and got creeped out by the incest that happened in that first one and my brother inlaw had to get to her watch a couple more and now she is hooked.

Lol GoT is a series I think people not watching it now view with an eye of suspicion like "Everyone watches that show cause its good.... I need to find a reason to not like it and not watch it so I can be a cool non-conformist" and then a hipster jumps in all "Omg I was in to GoT before the books were even written" and then I dislike the Hipster and suffocate him with his winter hat he is wearing in summer.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lol GoT is a series I think people not watching it now view with an eye of suspicion like "Everyone watches that show cause its good.... I need to find a reason to not like it and not watch it so I can be a cool non-conformist" and then a hipster jumps in all "Omg I was in to GoT before the books were even written" and then I dislike the Hipster and suffocate him with his winter hat he is wearing in summer.

lol, That is an exceptional post.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bermick. GOT is plenty of action, intrigue, plot twists, boobies, and good acting

I waited 3 years before I started watching and by the 4 th show I was hooked.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
From a series stand point, it would be extremely difficult to beat Band of Brothers... However, this is my second favorite series to date, unless we're talking movie series like LotR.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
My problem with what Stannis is doing with the Iron Bank is this. They asked him what kind of an army that he had as well as a navy and he had little
of either. So............ what is the Bank going to do? Buy him an army and navy of sell swords? Dorne? They hate the Lannisters with a passion. Maybe
they throw in with Stannis? And the Lannisters
will have an interesting time of it borrowing money from old lady Riggs I bet. Then there is Khalesi and her army of ten thousand plus three growing
dragons. She can't take over everything on her own. It seem to me that the Game of Thrones is going to be ripe with alliances when the big wars come???

The reason the bank is even considering throwing in with Stannis is because the Lannisters are running out of money. They were one of the richest, if not the richest family around because they had gold mines that had been putting out for years and years, however they're either dried up or drying up. Show hasn't been super explicit which. Couple that with wars being super freaking expensive and the Iron Bank is getting worried that they'll default.

So, the Iron Bank is a bit stuck, how do you get, essentially a kingdom to pay you back? Tywin *could* tell them to shove it, or, pay as he feels like it, and if he did what could the Iron Bank do about it?

Well, you finance his enemies and get then get what money you can out of the situation, assuming the guys you're financing come through. Stannis doesn't have a fleet or army, but he is a good military guy AND he rigidly adheres to his code of honor, that's what makes him even remotely interesting to the bank.

Think about it, even if the Bank only throws a "few" bucks Stannis's way it's GOT to make Tywin nervous right?

As far as Danny goes, I expect, if she ever gets to freaking Westeros that people sick of the Lannisters and lords like them would throw in with Danny. So Dorne, River Run, parts of the North. But then who knows, by the time she gets there the Walkers might have worked their way south.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:

It's a soap opera. Dungeons and dragons with lots of people backstabbing, raping, and fucking each other. In other words- riveting tv. But- I can see why some would not like it.

On a side note- when the fuck are the white walkers going to reach the wall? Seems like they've been on the move for several seasons now.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
It's a soap opera. Dungeons and dragons with lots of people backstabbing, raping, and fucking each other. In other words- riveting tv. But- I can see why some would not like it.

On a side note- when the fuck are the white walkers going to reach the wall? Seems like they've been on the move for several seasons now.

North of the wall is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. It's almost as big as the rest of the Westeros, plus they're zombies so the gotta be super slow right?

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
North of the wall is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. It's almost as big as the rest of the Westeros, plus they're zombies so the gotta be super slow right?

Yeah- good point- must be the dead horses they are riding. I just can't wait to see them fuck some things up south of the wall. Maybe one of them will rape Cersei on top of Tommens corpse.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I made dis one special for Lance, could not remember if I shared it on here.

C0daQWE.gif

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

What's the rush? They have nothing but time.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:

Ole69 says he watches LARP youtubes before the weekly show to get him in the mood. Very strange.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
What's the rush? They have nothing but time.

I'm just anxious for the chaos that ensues. And curious if George Martin has thought out his end game. But- I am enjoying the ride.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm just anxious for the chaos that ensues. And curious if George Martin has thought out his end game. But- I am enjoying the ride.

Supposedly he has don't the shows producers how it ends.

Last year we went out to Santa Fe for a week to sit down with [Martin] and just talk through where things are going, because we don’t know if we are going to catch up and where exactly that would be," Benioff says in the April issue of Vanity Fair. "If you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it. And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we just sat down with him and literally went through every character.”

That's right. The trio had a spoiler-filled summit in Martin's Southwestern abode. Still writing book six, The Winds of Winter, Martin noted that not all of the pieces of the puzzle are in place. “I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet," he tells Vanity Fair. "I’m hopeful that I cannot let them catch up with me.”

Basically they know where it is going and how it ends and they can finish the show before the books are finished.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I highly doubt the series ends before the books. Doesn't make any sense unless Martin dies. Were barely on season 4 while he is working on the last two books right? GoT has been confirmed to be at least 7 seasons long. That is over three years time.