I need some help...

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ding ding ding.

Ok, so he didn't have his degree or it's low on the criteria list? Why? Real world job experience? Generally talented? How'd he get that talent? How was it proven? Yes, in very narrow circumstances real life experiences can make an education less of a strict requirement but in reality that's a pretty narrow scope and not really indicative of the business world as a whole.

Nvan was really clear about the fact that his advice only applied to his field. He went out of his way to say that it didn't apply to everyone.

I'm sure he did that because he knew that some jackass was going to chime in with, "Nuh uh! It ain't like that everywhere! You wrong!!!!!!"

He never claimed that what he was saying was "indicative of the business world as a whole," but you're still managing to argue against that point. You're just going out of your way to be a dickhead.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if I am getting painted by the broad brush of "degrees aren't important" (if I believed that, I wouldn't still be paying off student loans and have more than 1), but in the tech field, once you are in, or if you're teaching it, I think your experience and body of work should trump whether or not you have a degree in terms of your ability to advance once you are employed by the organization

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nvan was really clear about the fact that his advice only applied to his field. He went out of his way to say that it didn't apply to everyone.

I'm sure he did that because he knew that some jackass was going to chime in with, "Nuh uh! It ain't like that everywhere! You wrong!!!!!!"

He never claimed that what he was saying was "indicative of the business world as a whole," but you're still managing to argue against that point. You're just going out of your way to be a dickhead.

Not to mention the fact that the OP said programming was something he was interested in pursuing. But whatever.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I worked with Khan on a project many years back, smart guy, great dude, and you are right - their YouTube vids are a great resource for learning.

As for the OP - loving electronics and video games is a longshot from enjoying a programming job. Also, not sure where you live geographically but there may not be many tech/programming opportunities around you. Also, you are going to be competing with guys younger than you, or guys that have 10 years experience and a formal education, I wouldn't like those odds. I don't like that risk-profile for a 30-year old family guy.

My advice - learn Excel and Word, shave off the facial hair, hide the tats, and work your way into an Operations Management gig. Lots of guys have paid their dues in the warehouse and then moved into a desk job that utilizes the domain expertise acquired in the warehouse.

Either way - good luck.

Good advice. I was looking into how some companies would perfer younger minds in the IT career. Plus overseas help for them are cheaper so I would have to compete with them as well. Good thing I can't grow a beard and I don't have any tattoos. I see where your going with the operations management.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to mention the fact that the OP said programming was something he was interested in pursuing. But whatever.

This happens all the time on here. It gets to where you have to put a qualifier on everything you say, and they still don't understand it.

You can post, "I'm not saying that they should switch to a 3-4 or that they will switch to a 3-4, but they might do it this year. Again, I'm not advocating it..." And inevitably, some jackass will respond with, "OH, so you sayin' that everythang gon' be fixed if they switch to a 3-4! You a dumb!"

Sometimes, I'll explain something three different ways just hoping they comprehend it, but certain people just can't be helped.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Oh, so this is a startup that you run. Makes sense. I know plenty of people who didn't get their formal degrees in IT and are reaping the benefits of high paying jobs bc they had advanced IT skills. It's still shortsighted though, as we should not be advocating getting less of an education. If we do that, we will be advocating less advancements in nearly every industry across the board. The more knowledge that is out there, the better.

I don't think anyone is advocating a lesser education...

What some of us are suggesting is that you make yourself flexible enough in the job market to take what you would deem a worthy offer on a job in order to sustain the lifestyle you want to live... Also this means you need to be versatile enough to change with the times and advance your career while working for the company you are at....

Today people are outdated as fast as the computers they use in their office... if you aren't evolving with and for the company you work for then you are either going to be outdated or looking for a position somewhere else when they find a younger employee with more ambition for knowledge in order to advance the business as well as themselves...

I am not saying not to go to college... I am saying that there are a million wasted degrees out there and to choose wisely... be ready to advance your education if such a cushy position is required working for someone else...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think the emerging theme is knowing people.

That's true for business at any level. Not even getting your foot in the door, but deal making / business development or just generally moving up the ladder. So important. Hit a home run with some people with serious capital and access to even more, your whole world changes. Takes time and a lot of hard work to build up that kind of reputation though. Unless those kind of contacts are a birthright for you....but fuck those people (generally speaking anyways).

Last edited:

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Nvan and others, thanks again. Don't want this to turn bad with other and racer. Programming or getting in the field is what I'm interesting in. I will be trying to learn as much in 1 year or however long it takes. Spoke to the wife today and she knows someone in the IT field so maybe that's my way in after I learn. I'm going to hit it hard. I don't want people to start hating on me or feeling sympathy towards me but I really appreciate the help once again. I'm not going to say if I get there, but when I get there, I can honestly say one area of support came from fellow Bears Posters.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
And nvan, I feel you. I know I can get a shot in as long as I can impress and show that I have the skills to succeed at that certain job. I will get paid less if I get it but it's experience and down the line I can look somewhere else for a better paying job. Skills in that way will help me. I understand a degree shows determination and responsibility and what not. That's why there important. It shows you will stick to what you have to do until your done. So they know they can count on a person with a degree. Sort of like needing good credit to work in a bank. It shows your responsible. They basically risk it with non degree people. But if you have the skills, they will risk it. Not all, but there are out there.

I understand how it works. I wanted the degree to have a better chance in plus knowing people in the field. But now I'm going to see if I can just do it by skill only. But I will learn math again from bottom to probably calculus. At the same time learning from all the links for coding. I live in Houston. I know I can find a job here.

I really want to move back though but can't afford living in Chicago. I was born in Elgin. I never been to Soldier Field. I've been to every game that the Bears have came down to Houston to play the texans. But It sucks cause I can't cheer with Bears fans. There all stupid texans fans. I can't wait to make this happen to afford to go back to Illinois. I have a dream to be in solder field while the Bears are playing, screaming with Bears fans everywhere, and my son there right next to me rooting as well. I'm going to make that happen damn it.

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole degree vs not thing is completely dependent on the field you want to go into. I happen to be in a field where there is a shortage in my part of the country and during the height of the recession I was still getting calls from head hunters every month (and wages kept getting pushed upward). But you legally can't do what I do (OT) without a license and you can't sit for your boards without a degree. Used to be a BS was enough, and it ought to be that way still. Since my time unfortunately it's been an MS, and soon (really unfortunately) it will be a doctorate ("DOT"), which would definitely stop me from doing it all over again. My masters program was competitive so undergrad grades mattered - I won't lie about that. But when I was in OT school though I was repulsed by the grade-grubbing that went on from my classmates. I have never been asked about my gpa by a potential employer and no one really cares where you got your degree. If you went to a shitty school then you pay your dues at a shitty job for a little while and once you have any experience and you are reasonably competent you can get a job just about anywhere. I just can't speak to the tech industry, but there are jobs in health care if you are willing to deal with the bullshit .

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Best of luck IBBB. Feel free to hit me up as offered, if you need any help or want random opinions on stuff.

Omar

Liked Posts:
Best of luck to you.

I am a first year medical student and will be 32 years old. Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can do anything they put their minds to. I'm 10 years late to the party, but better late than never. Right?

It seems like you have your head on straight and are very determined. Don't lose sight of your goal and keep on grinding!

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I got thinking about my own future in education because of this thread...

I owe Prope/Prententous a big thanks for answering my questions about education.

In my 3rd year of school working on my English major/Middle/High school endorsements to teach.

If there is anybody on here that works in education in any capacity, please PM me with any advice/job openings.

Mitchapalooza

I got thinking about my own future in education because of this thread...

I owe Prope/Prententous a big thanks for answering my questions about education.

In my 3rd year of school working on my English major/Middle/High school endorsements to teach.

If there is anybody on here that works in education in any capacity, please PM me with any advice/job openings.

If you get a Packers fan as a student, expel him immediately. Only advice I got.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want to not believe you, but : A WO-4 with 7 years makes $57,132 base pay/year before taxes. I know this doesn't include housing allowances, bas, etc, etc,. But this is also assuming you're a WO-4 after 7 years, which would be pretty damn impressive.

Again, maybe you do, but the average military member that is enlisted (not having a college degree as you stated) surely isn't making even close to $70,000 after 7 years time in service.

Source: 12 years active Duty Marine Corps enlisted not making $70,000/year

Depends. 70k is a tall order but our young SERE guys are getting a reenlistment bonus at 4 yrs that is 90k spread that over the 4 years and then add in pro pay, jump pay, dive pay BAQ, BAS, and dont forget to factor in the free medical and I could see an E-5 getting close to that mark. I shake my head see our young guys pull up in a shiny new car knowing they aren't saving anything for the future.

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends. 70k is a tall order but our young SERE guys are getting a reenlistment bonus at 4 yrs that is 90k spread that over the 4 years and then add in pro pay, jump pay, dive pay BAQ, BAS, and dont forget to factor in the free medical and I could see an E-5 getting close to that mark. I shake my head see our young guys pull up in a shiny new car knowing they aren't saving anything for the future.

Ohh yeah for sure. I get that. But jump pay, dive pay, flight pay, hazardous duty pay, etc, etc, isn't the norm. As far as bonuses, for most MOS's, those are non-existent anymore. But, like I said, he definitely could be in the minority that could reach that.
But, 9 out of 10 guys that would join wouldn't get close to making $70k within 7 years. You SERE guys, Seals, Recon, Rangers,Flight crew and what not are the military norm when it comes to the pay scale.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ohh yeah for sure. I get that. But jump pay, dive pay, flight pay, hazardous duty pay, etc, etc, isn't the norm. As far as bonuses, for most MOS's, those are non-existent anymore. But, like I said, he definitely could be in the minority that could reach that.
But, 9 out of 10 guys that would join wouldn't get close to making $70k within 7 years. You SERE guys, Seals, Recon, Rangers,Flight crew and what not are the military norm when it comes to the pay scale.

Regardless of money I am glad I took this path. I have 11 months left before I retire and start a new career but I know I will miss it. I would recommend military service to almost any young man. Pick the right branch for you and you will get a lot out of it for you, your family and your future even if its only for one elistment.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
USAF was pretty good for me....but glad I did the 4 and out thing.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
So your cousin worked a low-paying tech job at a big company, gained 3 years of experience and a recognizable company name to put on his resume, spent four years in the Air Force and can put a military background on his resume, and then took a low level job at a small company and worked his way up.

So a guy with 3 years of experience at a specialized job (programming) with a large company, with an additional 4 years of military experience, ends up taking a low paying entry-level job but ends up being successful.

Yeah, that sounds just like "see what you want to do, ask your friend for the job".

You obviously didn't pay close attention to what I said.

First, I said national company, not large. Second, he worked tech support, not programming. His experience with programming was ONLY on his own at this point.\

He was then in a mechanical field in the military. Absolutely no help to his resume for what he wanted to do as a career.

How does any of this equate to "see what you want to do, ask your friend for the job"? He had no help getting these positions. No one offered to help him. No friend gave him a job.

The point was that he changed jobs multiple times before getting his chance to do what he wanted. He could have stuck with the first job. He did ok for the area, and really didn't need to change jobs.

He could have stayed in the military. They pay decent and it's pretty secure.

Instead, he kept trying. He saw an opportunity to prove himself and get some experience in what he wanted to do at the 3rd job. He went in and did his assigned job, and also pushed to program on top of it. It seems to have paid off.

But thats a terrible "plan". You had no experience or education. Your advice is to "walk in to a building, tell someone you'll work really hard, and they'll give you a job!" Because "walking in to a building without even bothering to set up an appointment" is a good indication of a "hard-worker"...not busting your ass through 19 years of schooling! One guy has a map, the other guy has a Masters Degree. Which do you hire?

I didn't say it was a plan. Other things happened along the way. I took what I was given and made it work.

Having a Master's degree does not make you good at a particular skill. It makes you good at going to school and passing tests. It gives you the knowledge needed to be good at a skill. School is only one part of the process. If I have a person who I feel can be successful, it makes no difference whether they have a degree or not. There are plenty of CEO's of major companies who have no degree.

And I gave no advice. I simply shared my story about how I was able to get a pay level you claimed was impossible without a degree.

Thankfully, most people here understand that those of us offering stories and what not were not advocating to not go to college, simply that there are plenty of instances where more education does not necessarily mean a barrier to getting what you are looking for.

Now on topic: IBBB if you are interested in the field of programming, and would like another person to talk to who actually has done it, let me know. I'm sure my cousin would be more than happy to talk to you and give you advice. He has done hiring for his company, and can tell you what he looked for when hiring, and what others that were in charge of the section looked for. Then you can make an educated decision about which direction to go. I'm sure he'd be happy to help out a fellow Bear fan.