Illini BB

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Need to rebound.
Need to overcome some questionable calls.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kofi needs to spend all offseason learning how to play in the paint. Nick Smith is stronger than him

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fuck, if this team could only shoot. They might be better off trying to miss. Maybe they could hit a few from deep

Good to see Giorgii being his usual self. That is being a complete fucking waste of space.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
On the road against a very very good team totally jobbed by the refs. lost by single digits it really wasn’t shitty at all.

our big men spent the entire first half on the bench and didn’t play that many minutes in total and we lost by 8.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They didn't get jobbed by the refs, they got out muscled, both their bigs played really soft, they couldn't make any shots.

Refs were fine.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They didn't get jobbed by the refs, they got out muscled, both their bigs played really soft, they couldn't make any shots.

Refs were fine.
Osu was whistled for three fouls in 18 minutes after halftime in a game that had contact on every play.
29-10 fts.
Refs were anything but fine.

It doesn’t mean it’s the only factor or that everything Illinois did was great but good Lord if you thought those refs are fine I don’t know what in the hell you’re watching

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Osu was whistled for three fouls in 18 minutes after halftime in a game that had contact on every play.
29-10 fts.

It doesn’t mean it’s the only factor or that everything Illinois did was great but good Lord if you thought those refs are fine I don’t know what in the hell you’re watching
Refs were fine. Poor game by UI. It happens.

The actually foul discrepancy was like 5 before the last few minutes. And OSU was getting to the tin easily, drawing fouls.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
29-10 fts.

What's sad is that I expect this on the road in the Big 10. They must inform the refs to be biased against the road teams, because those calls were jokes. But @dennehy is right as well, Kofi is charmin soft and GB is just a fucking joke in the paint. Coach Underwood needs to focus this offseason on shooting and also not shooting long 2pt jump shots. This team has zero fundamentals in that department. They have a knack for shooting when there is zero chance for an offensive rebound.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
On the road against a very very good team totally jobbed by the refs. lost by single digits it really wasn’t shitty at all.

our big men spent the entire first half on the bench and didn’t play that many minutes in total and we lost by 8.

Only losers blame refs. Team was up by 7 at half and played like shit in 2H. Only themselves to blame and Wood.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The research has been done previously and there is plenty of data suggesting many B1G teams enjoy a home game referee bias. Unfortunately, Illinois has never been one of them. As for those refs, they work too many games a week and have no time to be critiqued on their actual job. It’s real that quite a few of them aren’t good, but it’s also real that very few of them go about their work wanting to be bad. The Big Ten has a lot of money flowing. They should consider refs doing fewer games and having time to look at the job they are doing, what they got right, what they got wrong and how they got it wrong.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The research has been done previously and there is plenty of data suggesting many B1G teams enjoy a home game referee bias. Unfortunately, Illinois has never been one of them. As for those refs, they work too many games a week and have no time to be critiqued on their actual job. It’s real that quite a few of them aren’t good, but it’s also real that very few of them go about their work wanting to be bad. The Big Ten has a lot of money flowing. They should consider refs doing fewer games and having time to look at the job they are doing, what they got right, what they got wrong and how they got it wrong.

Which research?

I'm surprised I haven't heard of it.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I knew a guy that was a Sunbelt ref and was hired by the SEC a few years ago. He used to say all the refs would laugh at Big 10 games and what they did & didnt consider fouls. They believed Hockey was called tighter than Big 10 play.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Which research?

I'm surprised I haven't heard of it.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...r-effect-and-officiating-home-field-advantage

Here is one not behind a pay wall and not specific to Big Ten. Illinois does not get homer calls, as the AH/SFC had gray hairs sitting down. Now the rowdy crowd is closer to the court, but there are panels on the ceiling to stop the echo. It can't get as loud or as intimidating as some other B1G venues, such as those in Madison, Iowa City, etc.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And don't take my posts as blaming the refs for last night's loss. Griffin only played 21 minutes while non-shooters played 31, etc. At some point you have to put the ball in the hole. I get that occasionally Griffin is still a defensive liability, but if you want to unpack the middle, Griffin must be out there more. They did not get it done in the 2nd half.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...r-effect-and-officiating-home-field-advantage

Here is one not behind a pay wall and not specific to Big Ten. Illinois does not get homer calls, as the AH/SFC had gray hairs sitting down. Now the rowdy crowd is closer to the court, but there are panels on the ceiling to stop the echo. It can't get as loud or as intimidating as some other B1G venues, such as those in Madison, Iowa City, etc.

I've read plenty of studies about home field bias, but I've never heard of one that specifically says UI doesn't receive it.

I've been on UI message boards for almost 20 years, you'd think I'd have at least heard of this study. I am glad that they changed the crowd dynamic.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
And don't take my posts as blaming the refs for last night's loss. Griffin only played 21 minutes while non-shooters played 31, etc. At some point you have to put the ball in the hole. I get that occasionally Griffin is still a defensive liability, but if you want to unpack the middle, Griffin must be out there more. They did not get it done in the 2nd half.

OSU was the stronger team imo. Griffin basically never got a look from 3, and after that first one Feliz couldn't get one anywhere close, really.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So is Ayo gone this offseason?