Is McCown playing Cutler out of a contract?

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Hear me out on this one.

I'm not saying that McCown is the long-term answer here...and Cutler has been very good for us this season...But with McCown playing in his 2nd game, the offense hasn't missed a beat...McCown is moving the ball against a good (albeit banged-up) defense, IN Green Bay, and is looking good doing so.

McCown is considered to be a below-league-avg QB, and is working on 2 weeks of prep. What's to say Trestman can't teach a FA QB (Cassle? McCoy? Henne?) or a smart rookie (Murray? Mettenberger?) the same?

What say you all?

We lost to the horrible skins and barely bear a Aaron Rodgersless packers!

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
He deserves another shot against the Lions. Don't let Cutler get beat up by Suh, and start him the week after.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
dnt think mcown has played jay outta a contract but I do think hes playing himself into finishing his career as the bears backup qb

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've been thinking the same damn thing. Offense looks so damn sharp with McCown at the helm. With Cutler, its fits and starts.

I think McCown has made me feel ok to move on from Cutler and draft a QB.

Yes, let Jay walk. Peace the fuck out, Jay!

Not that McCown is the long term answer or anything, but, no way in the world I'd pay Jay 70-90 million.

And another thing, no way I start Jay next week either, even if he's close to 100%.

When these two agree with you, it might be time to re-think what you are saying. Packer scored on their first drive with Rodgers under center, I doubt we could have just stacked the box against the Packers all day if he was still there

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
When these two agree with you, it might be time to re-think what you are saying. Packer scored on their first drive with Rodgers under center, I doubt we could have just stacked the box against the Packers all day if he was still there
Bitch please.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
There were plenty of fits and starts with Josh tonight as well.

Not a lot. Really McCown was money the whole first half. Defense did adjust at halftime, but they worked it out by the 4th quarter. It just feels more crisp with McCown at the helm, and a lot of the stalls were because of dropped passes.

FrenchieBully

Liked Posts:
I don't know. There were a crap load of passes I thought Jay could have easily made that McCown was short on.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not a lot. Really McCown was money the whole first half. Defense did adjust at halftime, but they worked it out by the 4th quarter. It just feels more crisp with McCown at the helm, and a lot of the stalls were because of dropped passes.

I can see why Botfly mocks the shit out of you now lol

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Hear me out on this one.

I'm not saying that McCown is the long-term answer here...and Cutler has been very good for us this season...But with McCown playing in his 2nd game, the offense hasn't missed a beat...McCown is moving the ball against a good (albeit banged-up) defense, IN Green Bay, and is looking good doing so.

McCown is considered to be a below-league-avg QB, and is working on 2 weeks of prep. What's to say Trestman can't teach a FA QB (Cassle? McCoy? Henne?) or a smart rookie (Murray? Mettenberger?) the same?

What say you all?
Cutler Could win the Bears A SB, McCown was good filling in today, Sorry only 24 points

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
McCown has me on the fence a bit as far as a large contract for Jay. I think there are a lot of guys who never made it in the NFL due to poor coaching. Don't take that to mean I'm proposing Josh as the starter. Trestman isn't dumb - the Bears had a big advantage outside. Defensively, I thought they played hard. I'm not sure where you put Wright - he seems to be out of place or whiffing.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know about out of a contract, but sure could make it cheaper.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
jesus christ, not again.

That was probably the O line's best game of the season AND we had 2 weeks to prepare. dominated both pass and run with the OL. Lets not get carried away and pull a caleb hanie NFC championship game. I remember quite a few people not likeing how McCown looked in preseason and wanting a "real" 2nd round QB.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

And what does McCown have to do with stacking the box?

You're an idiot. No one is saying we win the game with Aaron Rodgers still in. But the Packers D is the Packers D, and McCown moved the ball really well and made much faster decisions and reads than Cutler usually does. That doesn't mean we make McCown our permanent starter, but it might mean we're better off drafting a QB and retaining McCown as our backup vet presence to help the kid develop and step in if need be.

I like Jay. I want him to succeed. But when I see the offense performs more smoothly without him than with him, yeah, its going to make me question whether he's worth the $$$ to retain him.

Now, if he comes back and having seen how McCown runs the O can take a few pages from McCowns book and work his reads quicker, then fuck yeah I say re-sign him. But he's got to show me first he can get this offense rolling that smoothly.

Chad_Thomas89

BANNED
Liked Posts:
That isn't the concern of the offense. The offense kept rolling without Cutler making him a little more expendable. By all means he should stay but not for a big pay day.