It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways talent sorts itself out. Last year Baez riped apart Peroria and got bumped up to Daytona. He struggled at first. This spring he struggled again and now he is ripping it apart. Called adjustment time.

Almora has been hitting consistently over .400. We are not talking 1-5 then a 3-4 then a 0-4 then a 4-4. No most days are 2-5 days. To be honest every day that I have followed him this year I do not believe I have seen a 0- anything.

What that means is he is better then the pitching he is facing and needs to face better quality talent.

This is not about he needs x amount before promoting. It is about he needs to see better quality pitching who have better command and can challenge him which will make him improve... IE the cream rises to the top.

You method is let Tommy face 500 guys and he will be ready for the next step.... that is mommy talk.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Jason Heyward had 8 months on Almora considering he started at age 17 in the minors. Heyward also had over 500 PA in A ball before being promoted to High A.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Apologies, apologies, apologies.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Apologies, apologies, apologies.

Watch out for the :fap: fest today KB when just called up Wil Myers goes 1-5 with a home run in his debut.....

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Anyways talent sorts itself out. Last year Baez riped apart Peroria and got bumped up to Daytona. He struggled at first. This spring he struggled again and now he is ripping it apart. Called adjustment time.

Almora has been hitting consistently over .400. We are not talking 1-5 then a 3-4 then a 0-4 then a 4-4. No most days are 2-5 days. To be honest every day that I have followed him this year I do not believe I have seen a 0- anything.

What that means is he is better then the pitching he is facing and needs to face better quality talent.

This is not about he needs x amount before promoting. It is about he needs to see better quality pitching who have better command and can challenge him which will make him improve... IE the cream rises to the top.

You method is let Tommy face 500 guys and he will be ready for the next step.... that is mommy talk.

All I said was don't expect the Cubs to rush him. Never said he wouldn't get promoted, and fact is, I said that he would get promoted likely ending the year at Daytona.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Watch out for the :fap: fest today KB when just called up Wil Myers goes 1-5 with a home run in his debut.....

Oh it has already started here.

People are already starting to speculate if the Royals could have signed a different pitcher than Shields for $10M this year and had Myers play RF all year and been better than they are now because Shields was 2-6 heading into tonight's starts.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh it has already started here.

People are already starting to speculate if the Royals could have signed a different pitcher than Shields for $10M this year and had Myers play RF all year and been better than they are now because Shields was 2-6 heading into tonight's starts.

Too early to tell.

KC is 34-34. If they get a WC birth it is worth the cost.

Deals like that the team needs to see results to justify it. Rays on the other hand were just looking to unload payroll and got a good projected hitter.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez goes yard again tonight. Grand salami style. He is 1 for 4 with a walk and a K.

Interesting note to you walk-a-holics. Baez has walked 5 times in his past 20 at bats.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez goes yard again tonight. Grand salami style. He is 1 for 4 with a walk and a K.

Interesting note to you walk-a-holics. Baez has walked 5 times in his past 20 at bats.

Good. Shows that he is waiting for his pitch now and not swinging at "pitchers pitches". We want a hitter that ends up closer to Pujos vs Sori.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wait, you mean you wouldn't take a Sori hitter? He was special prior to the Cubs like Albert was prior to the Angels.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wait, you mean you wouldn't take a Sori hitter? He was special prior to the Cubs like Albert was prior to the Angels.

Free swinger vs waiting for his pitch. Pujos has always had a good walk rate. As did Barry. And McGuier.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@CarrieMuskat#Cubs prospect Pierce Johnson promoted to Daytona; Kane County adds Cuban P Armando Rivero, who was in Mesa at extended

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol Baez goes yard again tonight. His last 6 hits have been for homers. He has been in a bit of a slump since the 4 home run game, but has walked well during that stretch.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Lol Baez goes yard again tonight. His last 6 hits have been for homers. He has been in a bit of a slump since the 4 home run game, but has walked well during that stretch.

I wonder why.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs watching the evolution of Javier Baez

ST. LOUIS – The Cubs have seen enough of “The Cardinal Way,” the 95 mph heat from Shelby Miller, the legs flying at Starlin Castro and a relentless lineup that Jeff Samardzija said has no weaknesses.

Javier Baez isn’t ready to be thrown into the fire of this rivalry and perform in front of some 45,000 fans wearing red at Busch Stadium. But if the Cubs are going to close the gap in the National League Central, they need to be right on Baez and Jorge Soler, his buddy at advanced Class-A Daytona.

Baez blew up on Twitter after his four-homer game on June 10, played in the Florida State League All-Star Game over the weekend, hit a grand slam on Tuesday and homered again on Thursday night.

The kid with the Gary Sheffield bat speed – as well as the $30 million Cuban outfielder – have become bigger headlines than almost any other player inside the big-league clubhouse.

That’s why Daytona manager Dave Keller wanted to slow down some of the runaway hype surrounding the core pieces in Theo Epstein’s rebuilding project.

“As coaches, it’s easy to get this way. We know the media gets this way. I know the fans in Chicago get this way,” Keller said. “Everybody wants these guys to do so well and they got to realize that this is a marathon. This is not any type of sprint at all.”

Keller, who once managed Manny Ramirez in the Cleveland Indians system, has almost three decades of coaching experience in pro ball. He’s now in his 10th season in the Cubs organization, having worked as a hitting coordinator and a major-league staff assistant in 2011. He’s spent enough time in Chicago to understand the expectations.

“It’s a very, very hard sport to play,” Keller said. “We want these guys to do well, just like you sitting there writing the story and the fans sitting there spending their money for popcorn and food and wanting to cheer for the home team.

“Cubs fans are off-the-charts as far as enthusiasm goes and emotions. They want these guys to succeed, too, but we also have to be a little bit patient about things that go on when we’re talking about minor-league kids, because it’s a learning process and every level’s going to teach you something different. You just have to be able to retain that information and apply it.”

Keller has watched Baez work during batting practice, making a conscientious effort to drive the ball more up the middle and into right field, helping him stay on pitches and off-speed stuff, finding his balance and more rhythm.

In his mind, Keller ran through the four-homer game at Jackie Robinson Ballpark in Daytona: Baez drove the first one to right-center, took a relaxed swing and hit the second one to dead center, dropped the third one on top of the batting cages in left and snuck the last one inside the foul pole in left.

“He’s quiet and reserved in some ways,” Keller said. “(But) he is very, very observant to what’s going on in the game. He’s very aware of what’s happening defensively. His instincts on the bases are way above average. His instincts defensively are way above average. He watches, trying to figure how his offensive plan fits into the guy that he’s facing.

“Sometimes (with) guys that are really quiet like that, you don’t know where they are, but you know he’s concentrating because he wants to succeed.”

Only one other player in the Florida State League’s 94 years of existence has put together a four-homer game. Keller was there for that one, too, watching Ryan Harvey, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2003 draft who never made it to Chicago (or even the Triple-A level).

That underlines why the Cubs can’t bank everything on prospects, why they aren’t going to rush Baez, a shortstop (for now) who’s still only 20 years old after getting drafted ninth overall in 2011.

“A night like that, if it’s part of a longer stretch – and so far it has been this month – where he clearly dominates his competition, that gets him closer to moving up,” Epstein said.

Baez has posted a 1.261 OPS in June, with seven of his 15 homers coming this month. Overall, he’s hitting .276 this season, with 50 RBI, 66 strikeouts and 17 walks through 64 games.

“Any one night or any one game in itself doesn’t really change (things),” Epstein said. “It’s more sort of a progression, the pattern of play. He’s doing really well in all phases. What stands out to me more than the power (is) he’s really started to have better quality at-bats, (getting) his swing under control more. He’s cut his strikeout rate down a little bit and seeing some more pitches.

“He still (needs) some polish to his game before he moves through the whole organization. That’s a priority, cutting down on some of the errors on routine plays and managing the strike zone a little better. But we’re sure excited about his evolution so far.”

Cubs fans don’t want to hear reality checks, and the Chicago media roots for the quick, easy story. But remember this is a marathon, not a sprint, and the Cardinals got a huge head start years ago.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, I know yall talk about taking it slow but when do you think Baez moves up to AA? Do you think they would like to promote him and Soler together or would they separate them? Im pretty confident Baez is ready to move on.

This is his June stat line alone:

.328 AVG
.438 OBP
8 homers
23 RBI's
.803 SLG
1.242 OPS
3 SB

He also has seemed to slow down on the errors. I have also read that coaches say he has made great strides from the beginning of the season. I know they say not to rush him, but he is certainly hitting his way to a promotion.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
So, I know yall talk about taking it slow but when do you think Baez moves up to AA? Do you think they would like to promote him and Soler together or would they separate them? Im pretty confident Baez is ready to move on.

.328 AVG
.438 OBP
8 homers
23 RBI's
.803 SLG
1.242 OPS
3 SB

He also has seemed to slow down on the errors. I have also read that coaches say he has made great strides from the beginning of the season. I know they say not to rush him, but he is certainly hitting his way to a promotion.

I would promote him and Soler together, but I would wait until next year. Let them pad their stats in case of a trade. Also, Alcantara is directly ahead of Baez at SS and is no defensive wizard, but has good speed, and good stats from the left side of the plate. I would like to see the Cubs utilize Alcantara from only the left side as I have stated before and switch him to 2B. Having those two and possibly Geiger all moving up next year to AA.

No need to rush them. Let them get polished at every level.

We will also see what trades will influence decisions if the Cubs indeed trade off a lot of players and get prospects in return.

A (AA) team consisting of Geiger, Baez, Bryant, Alcantara, Sczur, and Soler could be right around the corner sometime next year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

.328 AVG
.438 OBP
8 homers
23 RBI's
.803 SLG
1.242 OPS
3 SB

Easy way to figure this out:

(BTW Jae-Hoon Ha finally got the AAA promote/CF)
AAA:
SS: Donny Murphy Career minor league player (30 yo) hitting .263/.347/.434

He is not blocking Arismendy Alcantara (21 YO 22 in Sept) .284/.359/.473 10 HR and 19 SB He is rolling out 21 errors. He has good skills across the board.

So I expect SS to get promoted sooner vs later. Maybe 50 more AB max for each. Donny gets cast aside.

Now on Soler. Yes but this injury hang up may delay it. If this didn't come up I would expect both to promote together with Szczur promoting up to AAA. With Ha promoting up first not sure how they work it. Ha was not getting AB's at AA and Sappelt is proving that he is a bust.

Edit: Brett Jackson hit the 7 day DL explains Ha's promote.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Saturday’s games

* Chris Rusin gave up six runs over six innings in Iowa’s 6-2 loss to Memphis. Brian Bogusevic had two hits and stole a base. Brad Nelson also had two hits, including a double.

* Matt Szczur went 4-for-5 with three RBIs in Tennessee’s 11-8 loss to Chattanooga. Ty Wright was 2-for-3 and Jonathan Mota went 2-for-5.

* Javier Baez hit his 16th home run, a solo shot in the first, and Zach Cates gave up one run over 6 2/3 innings in Daytona’s 2-1 win over Dunedin. Baez had two hits, and two RBIs. His 52 RBIs are tied for fifth in the Florida State League. Dustin Geiger had two hits and a stole a base.

Baez connected off Kyle Drabek, who was making his first start since elbow surgery. Baez also hit a RBI single in the third.

“It doesn’t matter who is on the mound — he has to throw strikes,” Baez told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.

Baez now is tied for first in the Florida State League with 16 home runs. He’s the active leader, as the other two players were promoted to Double-A.

Jorge Soler still sidelined with a sore left shin.

* Albert Almora and Rock Shoulders both homered in Kane County’s 6-5, 11-inning loss to Quad Cities. Shoulders had two hits and scored two runs.

* Justin Marra hit his first home run in Boise’s 3-2 loss to Spokane in the first game of a doubleheader. In the second game, Shawon Dunston Jr. hit his first home run in a 4-3 loss.

* Alexander Santana gave up three runs over 4 2/3 innings in Mesa’s 7-5, 10-inning loss to the Diamondbacks. The Rookie League team committed three errors.
http://muskat.mlblogs.com/

CSF77

Liked Posts:
For Baez: last 10 games: 35 AB, 9 hits. 7 for HR. 6 BB. Right now he is at 331 AB at Daytona between this year and last year. He is due for the promote.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easy way to figure this out:

(BTW Jae-Hoon Ha finally got the AAA promote/CF)
AAA:
SS: Donny Murphy Career minor league player (30 yo) hitting .263/.347/.434

He is not blocking Arismendy Alcantara (21 YO 22 in Sept) .284/.359/.473 10 HR and 19 SB He is rolling out 21 errors. He has good skills across the board.

So I expect SS to get promoted sooner vs later. Maybe 50 more AB max for each. Donny gets cast aside.

Now on Soler. Yes but this injury hang up may delay it. If this didn't come up I would expect both to promote together with Szczur promoting up to AAA. With Ha promoting up first not sure how they work it. Ha was not getting AB's at AA and Sappelt is proving that he is a bust.

Edit: Brett Jackson hit the 7 day DL explains Ha's promote.

I am hoping that Ha is up at AAA for good at this point and won't get yo-yoed back down to AA once Brett Jackson comes off the DL. I am guessing that this is the case otherwise I think they would have promoted Chen, who seems to be the outfielder that is called up to fill in for injuries at various levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.