It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've been saying that super sub type role is probably best for him, but it will be interesting to see how they try to get him established in the big leagues without a definitive spot for regular at bats.

I agree. If you ran him at each OF spot then 3B, SS and 2B that is 6 days on with 1 off day per week. Given a 7 day run. It would be for the best and the starters would a steady off day. The whole idea of platoons is stupid. If the player lacks the ability to hit both he has no business starting.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. If you ran him at each OF spot then 3B, SS and 2B that is 6 days on with 1 off day per week. Given a 7 day run. It would be for the best and the starters would a steady off day. The whole idea of platoons is stupid. If the player lacks the ability to hit both he has no business starting.

This guy disagrees.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Matt Loosen threw a no hitter for Daytona tonight. 9IP, 9K and 2BB.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Platoon means that the team is too cheap to spend on a quality player that can play full time.

I can agree with player A gets injured and they have to use a platoon to cover the position until he gets back. But not out of S/T.

Now I get the stance that this guy's numbers are *** vs LH etc

but

in reality if you get what you spend for.

Cubs are fighting for last place because they decided to not invest into full time players at power positions.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Platoon means that the team is too cheap to spend on a quality player that can play full time.

I can agree with player A gets injured and they have to use a platoon to cover the position until he gets back. But not out of S/T.

Now I get the stance that this guy's numbers are *** vs LH etc

but

in reality if you get what you spend for.

Cubs are fighting for last place because they decided to not invest into full time players at power positions.

There are a limited number of major league hitters that are truly capable of playing full time, and that number is far less than the 255 spots in major league lineups. Money is only one possible reason why a team needs to use platoons, but it is an effective strategy at times hence why it was utilized by a Hall of Fame manager as just one example.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Platooning means the other half is available off the bench as a pinch hitter, as needed. Sometimes it's OK. Not every bench can be filled with a super ultility player or that one person who excels at pinch hitting only.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Platooning means the other half is available off the bench as a pinch hitter, as needed. Sometimes it's OK. Not every bench can be filled with a super ultility player or that one person who excels at pinch hitting only.

So you are telling me that you would rather have a platoon then them spending on a full time player?

:jawdrop:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So you are telling me that you would rather have a platoon then them spending on a full time player?

:jawdrop:
No. What I'm telling you is that there is another side to the coin.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes there is. Called invest into a winning product with proven vets with a farm that produces talent. I get what they are trying to create. I believe that "eventually" their work will bare fruit. But; until that day happens they are putting out teams that are built to fail so they can justify selling off the F/A they just signed. It is what is is. It will be until either the system develops cheaper talent or they pony up for it. Until they do 2nd hand cost effective with high resale value will be the norm. Sadly if you look at it honestly it is what it is.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Anybody know why Kyle Hendricks was pulled after 50 pitches tonight?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alcantara is the starting 2B for the World Team in the Futures Game for those that are interested.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Alcantara is the starting 2B for the World Team in the Futures Game for those that are interested.

Oh don't mind me, just gonna' fap to MY BOI!!!!!!! <3

Alcantara-HR.gif

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Going to Cougars game Thursday, besides having Almora and Vogelbach, they also have fireworks, $1 beer, $1 small soda, and $1 hot dogs at this game.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Keith Law published his mid-season top 50 prospects. It's insider content, so I'll paraphrase for the Cubs' talent that was discussed:

Kris Bryant (Ranked #15) -- Discussed his signing bonus, the obvious question of if he'll end up at third or in right field. Law loves his raw-80 power. Feels like he projects as a middle-of-the-lineup bat, regardless of where he ends up in the field.

Jorge Soler (Ranked #20) -- Law feels like the reps his missing due to the ankle injury will hurt his development, in the sense that he's not able to continue working on making swing adjustments. Still, he loves his high ceiling and his combination of bat speed, effortless power and ability to run the bases.

Albert Almora (Ranked #25) -- His biggest concern is the lack of walks. Loves his plus-defense in centerfield, his overall feel at the plate and the fact that he almost always makes hard contact.

Javier Baez (Ranked #27) -- Law says Baez has the best bat speed in not just the Cubs' farm system, but the entire minor leagues. He feels like his defense has improved to the point that he could certainly stick at short, which could cause the Cubs to move Starlin Castro to either second or the outfield. Loves his power from short, but concerned about him giving away at-bats due to his hacker mentality.

While he didn't profile him, he also mentioned Arismendy Alcantara as a guy placed just outside of his top 50. Exciting stuff on the horizons.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Something is afoot. Junior Lake is being called up. No word on corresponding move.

Minor note as well is that Esmalian Caridad is finally being released by the Cubs organization.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alberto Cabrera is getting moved up to AAA. I am hopeful that he can get a crack at the big league rotation by the end of the season with good stuff and results to match in AA.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keith Law published his mid-season top 50 prospects. It's insider content, so I'll paraphrase for the Cubs' talent that was discussed:

Kris Bryant (Ranked #15) -- Discussed his signing bonus, the obvious question of if he'll end up at third or in right field. Law loves his raw-80 power. Feels like he projects as a middle-of-the-lineup bat, regardless of where he ends up in the field.

Jorge Soler (Ranked #20) -- Law feels like the reps his missing due to the ankle injury will hurt his development, in the sense that he's not able to continue working on making swing adjustments. Still, he loves his high ceiling and his combination of bat speed, effortless power and ability to run the bases.

Albert Almora (Ranked #25) -- His biggest concern is the lack of walks. Loves his plus-defense in centerfield, his overall feel at the plate and the fact that he almost always makes hard contact.

Javier Baez (Ranked #27) -- Law says Baez has the best bat speed in not just the Cubs' farm system, but the entire minor leagues. He feels like his defense has improved to the point that he could certainly stick at short, which could cause the Cubs to move Starlin Castro to either second or the outfield. Loves his power from short, but concerned about him giving away at-bats due to his hacker mentality.

While he didn't profile him, he also mentioned Arismendy Alcantara as a guy placed just outside of his top 50. Exciting stuff on the horizons.

Law can suck my balls! Not because of anything with the Cubs just in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.