It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some big prospects update:

Kris Bryant went 3 for 5 today with 2 doubles.

Mike Olt is 2 for 4 with a double and a triple

Albert Almora went 0 for 2 then was pulled. Not sure why.

Javier Baez is 3 for 3 with a double so far

chibears55

Liked Posts:
hopefully this is the start of
a good run for Olt.. would like to see him take over 3B this year, he prob. would need a week or so of hitting good to be brought up.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Kris Bryant needs to be moved quickly. I wish they had started him higher than Boise.
I don't say move him quickly based on the small sample size thus far - I say that based on the fact he was a college player and based on his success in college.

I am OK with the timetable on other prospects as they have been moving so far. But I would certainly hope to see Bryant in AA early next year, and not see him wait until 2015 to see MLB.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kris Bryant needs to be moved quickly. I wish they had started him higher than Boise.
I don't say move him quickly based on the small sample size thus far - I say that based on the fact he was a college player and based on his success in college.

I am OK with the timetable on other prospects as they have been moving so far. But I would certainly hope to see Bryant in AA early next year, and not see him wait until 2015 to see MLB.

I would expect him to do what Baez did this year. A+ to AA next year.

Looking at it:

Olt has just looked bad so far in Iowa. He seemed to start up something with a 1 hit game then a 2 hit game after a string of 0 fors then has another 0 for. His lack of contact and not much power is making me werry. Right now Christian in AA is hitting more. That is not a good thing.

Baez really looks like he needs to go to AAA next year. He seems to have already gotten up to speed with AA . His BA is up in the .250 range after sitting at the Mendoza line. If he has a good fall/winter league then I believe they should bump him up to Iowa.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, I think Javier Baez has made some adjustments. Dude is on fire lately with walks mixed in and not striking out as much. He has been a double machine lately!

He is 11 for his last 16 with 2 walks.

His Avg. is now up to .277.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez goes 4 for 6 tonight with 1 k.

Smokies win 10-0

Eric Jokisch throws a 4 walk no hitter for the smokies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Smokies win 10-0

Was literally just about to post this. Awesome job tonight by the Smokies.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
:fap:

patg006

Liked Posts:

Smokies win 10-0

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

patg006

Liked Posts:
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

photo.php

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
How fast did Ventura make it up to the Sox after being drafted?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I jokingly called a no hitter when Tennessee was up 8-0 in the 3rd, psychic shit there.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Smokies win 10-0

I think they ought to take the whole Iowa team and release most of them, and take most of the Tennessee team and ship them to Iowa. There is far, far better talent at AA.

Our AAA team has absolutely nothing to speak of, and the one that hits for average is 35 years of age. I know some our on the Cubs now, but whoa!

Tennessee has Baez, Alcantara, Silva, Szczur, Jokisch, Hendricks, Beeler, Cabrera. I think most of these guys will be in AAA next year, or at least I hope so. :popcorn:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Smokies are a pretty damn good team. Lots of talent on the team. I also expect Soler to be on there starting next year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We could realistically see Baez, Soler, Bryant, and Alcantara all on the same team. Now, that is a :fap: fest.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://smokiesonradio.com/2013/08/04/javier-baez-showing-signs-of-patience-maturity-at-plate/

It has been nearly a month since Javier Baez made his Double-A debut with the Tennessee Smokies. In that time, the Cub’s top prospect has unequivocally provided an extra thump to the Smokies lineup, but the scariest thought for Southern League opponents is the realization that Baez has plenty of growing left to do before being leaving his Double-A stomping grounds.

Working alongside hitting coach Desi Wilson in the past weeks on pitch recognition and driving the ball to all fields, the Cubs’ top prospect is beginning to show flashes of maturity at the plate.

“I’m working with Desi on recognizing the pitch,” Baez said. “If it’s not my pitch, I’m not hitting it.”

“We worked on seeing breaking balls off the [pitching] machine and that kind of helped Javy with his timing, seeing the ball out of the pitcher’s hand,” Wilson said. “We’re trying to get him to understand to be patient and selective and look for your pitch.”

Baez consistently found himself out in front of breaking balls in his first three weeks with Tennessee. But the shortstop’s conscious effort to stay patient at the plate has allowed for seven walks in his last nine games after racking up just three in his first 17 contests.

“He’s not going up there trying to attack that first strike because that’s a borderline pitch,” Wilson said of Baez’s increase in walks. “That’s just part of the process.”

The first-year Smokies’ hitting coach pointed to an at-bat Baez had last Monday against the Birmingham Barons when the Smokies’ three-hole hitter faced an 0-2 count in the fourth inning and took a walk after a seven-pitch at-bat.

“The best at-bat I told him he had was when he was down 0-2 and he walked,” Wilson said. “He laid off some tough pitches out of the zone and that was good to see.”

Hitting the ball to the middle and right center fields gaps during batting practice has also proved to be a point of emphasis for the 2011 Cubs’ first-round draft pick. While the prized prospect has shown improvement in the cage, translating it to live action is a work in progress.

“It’s really easy during [batting practice] but during the game you don’t know what pitch is coming so you’ve got to get that adjustment down,” Baez said.

The power-hitting prospect has shown steady improvement in the batters’ box since owning a .200 average on July 22, hitting safely in nine of his last 12 games including four multi-hit affairs to raise his average to .224. The output also encompassed a stretch where Baez hit six home runs in six contests with two multiple home run games for right-handed hitter.

Though the home runs have come naturally to the power-hitting prospect, Wilson says Baez must become better in all facets of his game, a process that takes time.

“It’s just part of the process that Javy’s going to have to understand,” Wilson said. “We’re just going to keep on going forward.”

To stay current with all the latest news, follow Smokies on Radio on Twitter and like the Smokies on Radio Facebook page. Nick Roark is the Senior Beat Writer for the Smokies Radio Network. You can follow him on Twitter here: NickRoark4.

Status
Not open for further replies.