It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So...a great first round Sox draft pick/top college hitter makes his MLB debut less than a year after being signed. I don't believe the Cubs will slow track Bryant.

Bryan will be moved decently quick. He started off rough, but has a ten game hitting streak at Boise and is starting to rake there. I don't know if they move him this year, but depending on winter could be put higher then Kane to start next year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well Alberto Cabrera is already in AAA and he is out of options next year. He has been moved to the bullpen in IA since he has had a huge jump in innings, at least that is the theory put forward by CubsDen. Some of staying in AA might be because I believe TN is in first place or close to it right now and Iowa is not. Giving those guys a pennant chase and some more time playing isn't a bad thing either.

patg006

Liked Posts:
CJ Edwards only pitched one inning tonight and got replaced by Yao Lin Wang :smug2:

Did he get hurt or was this planned that he only throw one inning? Cubs minor league sites through mlb.com tend to be really slow with details. I really dont want another broken arm to the farm........because Corey Black sucks, and Pierce Johnson looks like the only legit chance of a starter right now, unless Nick Struck takes a fet hits of what Junior Lake's been toking/injecting/doing.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Did he get hurt or was this planned that he only throw one inning?

The report that I heard was that the janitor was a tad late at filling the port-o-potty with toilet paper after the first.

My guess is he ate some bad lettuce or he's has problems with anorexia. Either way this guy is a real gem to hang your hat on. Thanks Garza.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Something to do with rain. I don't know if it was a rain delay or if it has rained so much they planned on 1 inning.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sickels top 20 Cubs 2013 Prospects In Review:

This list was originally published December 2nd, 2012, and revised on January 15, 2013.

1) Javier Baez, SS, Grade A-: The Gary Sheffield comps from high school aren't valid; Baez does have that sort of bat speed, but Sheffield was an incredibly disciplined hitter compared to Baez. I really can't think of a good comp at this point. Baez has enormous power (27 homers in 98 games) but his contact/plate discipline issues can't be ignored. I'm thinking his grade holds steady at this point due to youth, power, position, but the range of potential outcomes is very wide.

2) Albert Almora, OF, Grade B+: Hitting .324/.373/.466 with three homers, 17 walks, 29 whiffs in 238 at-bats in Low-A. No problems thus far.

3) Jorge Soler, OF, Grade B+: Hitting .281/.343/.467with eight homers, 21 walks, 38 whiffs in 210 at-bats for High-A Daytona until fracturing his shin in late June, ending his season. He looked very good before getting hurt.

4) Dan Vogelbach, 1B, Grade B: Borderline B+.Solid producer for Low-A Kane County, .290/.366/.461 with 16 homers, 52 walks, 66 strikeouts in 393 at-bats. He isn't just a power hitter; he has good pure hitting skills, too. Main problem is keeping his size under control, but he can mash.

5) Arodys Vizcaino, RHP, Grade B-: But. . .but. . .but I thought Tommy John surgery recovery was no big deal these days!

6) Brett Jackson, OF, Grade B-: Stock down, eaten up by contact problems, hit just .223/.300/.367 with 21 walks, 77 strikeouts in 215 at-bats for Triple-A Iowa; sent to Double-A this week. Turns 25 tomorrow. Time for a change of scenery?

7) Dillon Maples, RHP, Grade B-: Ugly control problems in Low-A (8.31 ERA, 34/31 K/BB in 35 innings), was sent down to short-season Boise and has been more effective, 1.38 ERA with 15/5 K/BB in 13 innings. Now 21, needs to take a step forward in '14.

8) Christian Villanueva, 3B, Grade B-: Hitting .263/.315/.454 with 14 homers, 24 walks, 91 strikeouts in 377 at-bats for Double-A Tennessee. Not a great year, struggled in April and June, hit well in May and July. Would like to see better plate discipline, but I still like him.

9) Matt Szczur, OF, Grade B-: What I wrote pre-season: I don't like him as much as some people do, but the tools are obvious. At worst he should be a good reserve outfielder with speed and defense, but it is still an open question if he hits enough to play regularly. I still see it that way; he's hit .278/.346/.363 with 20 steals, 37 walks, 62 strikeouts in 400 at-bats in Double-A.

10) Pierce Johnson, RHP, Grade B-: Very good year, 3.04 ERA with 102/34 K/BB in 101 innings between Low-A and High-A, 98 hits, just five homers. Solid all-around.

11) Gioskar Amaya, 2B, Grade B-: I think he will take a huge step forward in 2013. Defense at second base is better than it was at shortstop. He's got pop, can steal bases, and has a good swing. Hitting .270/.343/.407 for Kane County, 33 walks, 88 strikeouts in 356 at-bats. He's doing OK but this is not the huge step forward that I expected.

12) Duane Underwood, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline C+: 5.63 ERA with 24/16 K/BB in 32 innings for Boise, 44 hits. Control problems are the main issue at this point, but his arm remains one of the best in the system. Open question if he refines it, but just turned 19.

13) Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade C+: Borderline B-. He picked a really bad time to have an injury-plagued season. Hitting .289/.370/.470 but has managed just 26 games for Iowa; back on the DL now with hamstring problems. Turns 24 this month. What do you do with him?

14) Junior Lake, SS, Grade C+: Borderline B-: I can see ranking him ahead of Underwood due to his proximity to the majors. Lake's tools are tremendous but he is still a very raw and frustrating player. He could turn into Nelson Cruz, or Angel Berroa. Hit .295/.341/.462 in Iowa, .316/.339/.474 so far in 13 games with the Cubs. He's really entertaining to watch; he'll look like a superstar one second and a helpless hacker the next. I think they are right to let him play and see what he can do.

15) Jeimer Candelario, 3B, Grade C+: Hitting .255/.339/.387 with 50 walks, 69 strikeouts in 385 at-bat for Kane County. Good glove at third base. Not much power yet, but he controls the zone well and is just 19. Intriguing.

16) Juan Carlos Paniagua, RHP, Grade C+: Just getting started, looked great in the DSL but has shown serious command problems in the early going for Boise, 12 walks in 7.2 innings, 10 hits, nine runs. Too early to tell much other than he has a good arm but hasn't thrown strikes yet.

17) Paul Blackburn, RHP, Grade C+: Nice 3.00 ERA in a 27-inning sample at Boise, with a 27/12 K/BB, 21 hits. Holding his own, just 19, one year out of high school.

18) Marco Hernandez, SS, Grade C+: Hitting .248/.288/.316 with 14 walks, 56 whiffs, 15 steals in 310 at-bats in Low-A. Defense guy, bat questionable.

19) Arismendy Alcantara, SS, Grade C+: I like him a lot, hitting .275/.350/.458 with 13 homers, 23 steals, 45 walks, 100 whiffs in 393 at-bats for Double-A Tennessee. I'd like the strikeouts to come down, but he has a broad range of skills.

20) Barret Loux, RHP, Grade C+: 4.34 ERA with a 74/44 K/BB in 75 innings for Iowa, 74 hits. Nothing special, but he's fanning a hitter per inning at least and his arm hasn't fallen off.

OTHER GRADE C+ PROSPECTS: Michael Jensen, RHP; Kyle Hendricks, RHP; Trey McNutt, RHP; Ryan McNeil, RHP; Starling Peralta, RHP; Ronald Torreyes, 2B; Logan Watkins, 2B; Ben Wells, RHP; Tony Zych, RHP

OTHERS: Jose Arias, RHP; Stephen Bruno, INF; Alberto Cabrera, RHP; Marcelo Carreno, RHP; Shawon Dunston, OF; Jae-Hoon Ha, OF; Trey Martin, OF; Brooks Raley, LHP; Jose Rosario, RHP; Tim Saunders, INF; Tayler Scott, RHP; Nick Struck, RHP, Robert Whitenack, RHP.

I was impressed with Chicago's group of hitting prospects pre-season and this remains true. Although Jackson and Vitters have lost stock, others have emerged (Alcantara, Rock Shoulders, John Andreoli, Dustin Geiger), Mike Olt is now on board from the Rangers, Kris Bryant from the 2013 draft has enormous power, and they continue to pour resources into Latin America (Gleyber torres, Eloy Jimenez).

The main weakness pre-season was lack of pitching arms. This remains an issue, but progress has been made, including the acquisition of C.J. Edwards from the Rangers, strong seasons from Pierce and Kyle Hendricks, the pitching-heavy 2013 draft class, and more high-ceiling international arms (Jen-Ho Tseng, Jefferson Mejia and Erling Moreno stand out).

As with any rebuilding organization, fans are tired of being told to have patience, but the trend line is clearly positive here. The foundation of a terrific lineup has been laid, the Cubs are certainly aware of the need for more pitching to go with it, and they've shown no hesitation at all about spending cash on the farm system, even if it means exceeding their allotted international bonus pool and facing penalties.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/8/1 ... -in-review

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Something to do with rain. I don't know if it was a rain delay or if it has rained so much they planned on 1 inning.

Rain delay was the cause of the short outing.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 1h
Baez most likely. @JordanS10: Bryant olt or baez as the 3rd baseman of the future for the #Cubs

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Baez most likely. @JordanS10: Bryant olt or baez as the 3rd baseman of the future for the #Cubs

So basically Olt predicted to be out of the picture and Bryant in the OF.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would think they try to up Olt's trade value to try to use him as a piece for a big fish. Maybe a David Price, Rays always looking for cost controlled hitting and brings thump. That is, of course, if Olt starts hitting again. I doubt he would be a centerpiece but a nice side piece.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I would think they try to up Olt's trade value to try to use him as a piece for a big fish. Maybe a David Price, Rays always looking for cost controlled hitting and brings thump. That is, of course, if Olt starts hitting again. I doubt he would be a centerpiece but a nice side piece.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really don't see us ever going for Price.. That's too big of a fish to fry right now.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:

So basically Olt predicted to be out of the picture and Bryant in the OF.

I read today the Cubs are going to try Baez and both 2B and 3B to see how he adjusts. In a perfect world he would be at 2B but he may outgrow the position. Bryant will likely wind up playing in LF when he gets called up and Olt, if he bounces back and makes the Cubs long term would be 3B as he has the advantage in the fielding aspect of the position over Bryant. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Cubs try Castro at 2B. I mean his defense couldn't possibly take that big of a hit could it?

Some of the prospects are going to flame out but they still have a large number to work with. I expect to see Vogelbach used as a trade piece along with some of the guys listed that don't make it as Cubs starters.

Potential OF:
Almora
Soler
Lake
Bryant

INF:
1B- Rizzo
2B- Alcantra/Baez/Castro/Lake
SS- Castro/Baez
3B- Olt/Bryant/Baez

That gives the Cubs room to work with. That would be nice if we were able to get Ellsbury but that remains a wish at the moment. With the extra prospects we could swing a deal for an impact pitcher. We need to go out and sign an impact arm this offseason to replace the void left by Garza. Our farm system is full of 3-5 starters which our ML team is already full of. Hendricks, Edwards, and Johnson seem to be the only hope to be effective in the majors. Vizcaino looks to be a future closer at best.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I read today the Cubs are going to try Baez and both 2B and 3B to see how he adjusts. In a perfect world he would be at 2B but he may outgrow the position. Bryant will likely wind up playing in LF when he gets called up and Olt, if he bounces back and makes the Cubs long term would be 3B as he has the advantage in the fielding aspect of the position over Bryant. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Cubs try Castro at 2B. I mean his defense couldn't possibly take that big of a hit could it?

Some of the prospects are going to flame out but they still have a large number to work with. I expect to see Vogelbach used as a trade piece along with some of the guys listed that don't make it as Cubs starters.

Potential OF:
Almora
Soler
Lake
Bryant

INF:
1B- Rizzo
2B- Alcantra/Baez/Castro/Lake
SS- Castro/Baez
3B- Olt/Bryant/Baez

That gives the Cubs room to work with. That would be nice if we were able to get Ellsbury but that remains a wish at the moment. With the extra prospects we could swing a deal for an impact pitcher. We need to go out and sign an impact arm this offseason to replace the void left by Garza. Our farm system is full of 3-5 starters which our ML team is already full of. Hendricks, Edwards, and Johnson seem to be the only hope to be effective in the majors. Vizcaino looks to be a future closer at best.

No love for Alcantara, who at this point may be the superior prospect to Olt?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Since we're doing this, my All-youngsters/prospects team is:

LF - Kris Bryant
CF - Albert Almora
RF - Jorge Soler
3B - Javier Baez
SS - Starlin Castro
2B - Arismendy Alcantara
1B - Anthony Rizzo
C - Welington Castillo
DH - Dan Vogelbach
SP - Jeff Samardzija, C.J. Edwards, Pierce Johnson, Kyle Hendricks, Juan Paniagua
CL - Arodys Vizcaino

Apolgies to Lake and Olt.

Status
Not open for further replies.