It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez 2 for 5 with a walk and a game winning single in the 9th. Smokies win a wild one 11-10.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Since we're doing this, my All-youngsters/prospects team is:

LF - Kris Bryant
CF - Albert Almora
RF - Jorge Soler
3B - Javier Baez
SS - Starlin Castro
2B - Arismendy Alcantara
1B - Anthony Rizzo
C - Welington Castillo
DH - Dan Vogelbach
SP - Jeff Samardzija, C.J. Edwards, Pierce Johnson, Kyle Hendricks, Juan Paniagua
CL - Arodys Vizcaino

Apolgies to Lake and Olt.

That's a good list. I mean I know some of those guys will not become successful major leaguers. I just tried to pool them together to show how much depth the Cubs currently have in terms of positional prospects. There are 5 Outfielders that could become quality players in addition to a possible signing of Ellsbury. As for the infield there are about 6 infielders that could qualify for 3 different infield positions (2B, SS, and 3B). My point is if 3 of these "ïmpact" players die out the Cubs still stand to be in good shape. I really hope we sign Ellsbury this offseason to something along the lines of a 4-5 year deal.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't want Ellsbury. Don't trust him and don't like him.

Btw, Kris Bryant was 2 for 3 and walk today. He has been stroking the ball lately and Hoyer/Theo are discussing in the next week some promotions. The thought is Bryant will go to Kane.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rather they challenge him and push him to AA to see if he can hang with that pitching. He has more seasoning via 3 years of college over Baez and should adapt faster then Baez did. I believe he was shaking off the rust earlier from down time now he is back to his college playing level. They should promote Olt and put Christian at AAA in corresponding moves to open up 3B. Out of S/T I'd give the job to Olt to justify the trade. If he fails then bump him over for either Bryant or Christian. Baez should end up at SS and they trade out Castro. Use him to reload some. Teams still can let him go back to hitting off of his shoe laces and he has a good team friendly contract. He is worth a few quality arms in the system. I just do not see him holding SS over Baez and the fact they used the # 2 pick and traded for another top 100 player at 3B makes me feel that they are projecting Baez to take over SS. Both Baez and Castro are going to make errors. But Baez brings in a 30 HR bat to justify it. For Castro's errors there is no justification for it. His D is borderline and 15 HR is his potential. He makes mental errors out there. Sure some team will look to fix him and let him be what he was. Not a bad player but right now he is more of an liability then a asset.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also the whole DH thing: until it is announced I wouldn't project nothing of the sort. That is nothing but conjecture. The real reason why there is no DH in the NL is because of the owners. Most do not want to have to pay 7-12 mil on a player who doesn't play D. It takes from profit.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rather they challenge him and push him to AA to see if he can hang with that pitching. He has more seasoning via 3 years of college over Baez and should adapt faster then Baez did. I believe he was shaking off the rust earlier from down time now he is back to his college playing level. They should promote Olt and put Christian at AAA in corresponding moves to open up 3B. Out of S/T I'd give the job to Olt to justify the trade. If he fails then bump him over for either Bryant or Christian. Baez should end up at SS and they trade out Castro. Use him to reload some. Teams still can let him go back to hitting off of his shoe laces and he has a good team friendly contract. He is worth a few quality arms in the system. I just do not see him holding SS over Baez and the fact they used the # 2 pick and traded for another top 100 player at 3B makes me feel that they are projecting Baez to take over SS. Both Baez and Castro are going to make errors. But Baez brings in a 30 HR bat to justify it. For Castro's errors there is no justification for it. His D is borderline and 15 HR is his potential. He makes mental errors out there. Sure some team will look to fix him and let him be what he was. Not a bad player but right now he is more of an liability then a asset.

Don't agree but it is what it is

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Since we're doing this, my All-youngsters/prospects team is:

LF - Kris Bryant
CF - Albert Almora
RF - Jorge Soler
3B - Javier Baez
SS - Starlin Castro
2B - Arismendy Alcantara
1B - Anthony Rizzo
C - Welington Castillo
DH - Dan Vogelbach
SP - Jeff Samardzija, C.J. Edwards, Pierce Johnson, Kyle Hendricks, Juan Paniagua
CL - Arodys Vizcaino

Apolgies to Lake and Olt.

Before the season, this is how baseball america had the projected 2016 lineup

Catcher Welington Castillo
First Base Anthony Rizzo
Second Base Starlin Castro
Third Base Jeimer Candelario
Shortstop Javier Baez
Left Field Brett Jackson
Center Field Albert Almora
Right Field Jorge Soler
No. 1 Starter Jeff Samardzija
No. 2 Starter Matt Garza
No. 3 Starter Arodys Vizcaino
No. 4 Starter Edwin Jackson
No. 5 Starter Pierce Johnson
Closer Juan Carlos Paniagua

This doesn't account for Bryant and Olt and obviously Garza is gone. Presumably you'd slot in Olt at 3b And Bryant in LF.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Before the season, this is how baseball america had the projected 2016 lineup

Catcher Welington Castillo
First Base Anthony Rizzo
Second Base Starlin Castro
Third Base Jeimer Candelario
Shortstop Javier Baez
Left Field Brett Jackson
Center Field Albert Almora
Right Field Jorge Soler
No. 1 Starter Jeff Samardzija
No. 2 Starter Matt Garza
No. 3 Starter Arodys Vizcaino
No. 4 Starter Edwin Jackson
No. 5 Starter Pierce Johnson
Closer Juan Carlos Paniagua

This doesn't account for Bryant and Olt and obviously Garza is gone. Presumably you'd slot in Olt at 3b And Bryant in LF.

Prepare for it to look very different, though that should go without saying

I think Frankie Del Valle has a better shot at closer.

Brett Jackson isn't long for the cubs.

Every day I watch Yasiel Puig, I become less confident in Soler.

I don't think Hemmorydys is going to pitch again.

I think Pierce Johnson will be far better than that.

No Travis Wood!?!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Forgot to put Wood in mine :shifty:

patg006

Liked Posts:
Why? Didn't Soler look good before the injury?

A tad revisionist history, but after reading about both Soler and Puig prior to both signing, I liked Puig better, mainly because of his speed. Both were similar in size and attitude, Puig just had dazzling speed.

Soler has been unimpressive to me more than he has impressive in his tenure in the minor leagues. Injuries suck, especially since you watch the other guy become one of the most exciting players in baseball.

And to me, .281 average, 8 home runs, and 35 rbis in 236 plate appearances doesn't qualify under 'look good before injury.' Sounds like 'par for the course' in a best case scenario, especially after tearing apart low A.

I expect better of Soler, thats just me. If he makes it and becomes the player we all think he can good. I doubt him more and more daily.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
A tad revisionist history, but after reading about both Soler and Puig prior to both signing, I liked Puig better, mainly because of his speed. Both were similar in size and attitude, Puig just had dazzling speed.

Soler has been unimpressive to me more than he has impressive in his tenure in the minor leagues. Injuries suck, especially since you watch the other guy become one of the most exciting players in baseball.

And to me, .281 average, 8 home runs, and 35 rbis in 236 plate appearances doesn't qualify under 'look good before injury.' Sounds like 'par for the course' in a best case scenario, especially after tearing apart low A.

I expect better of Soler, thats just me. If he makes it and becomes the player we all think he can good. I doubt him more and more daily.

The FSL isn't the most hitter friendly league though, and with constant rain-outs, it is harder to maintain consistency. Not to say his numbers were dazzling, but ya...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't take Soler just by the numbers. He was having major league at bats before he went down. His approach is very more refines from Baez. Soler may not be puig but I believe he could be more consistent before its all said and done.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Volga went 1 for 2 today with 3 walks. That probably got Theo wet!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No Travis Wood!?! I don't think Hemmorydys is going to pitch again.

It was pre-season and frankly pre-season wood wasn't exactly looking more than a roster filler. As for Arodys, I think you're being a bit over dramatic. He's 22. He had Tommy John in march of 2012 and it generally takes 2 full years to recover fully. A second surgery to clean up calcium buildup is worrying but supposedly it has nothing to do with ligaments. Lots of pitchers have had injury problems and later gone on to have fine careers. For example, Chris Carpenter had numerous injuries and eventually overcame them. However, 2 full years off from pitching probably did set him back another year after he gets healthy.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
@CubsFutures Kris Bryant is hitting .403 on his 15 game hit streak.

Vogelbach 1-2 tonight with three walks -- I'm down with OBP, yeah you know me.

Corey Black shoved tonight.

Good night all-around for Cubs tenderfoots.

patg006

Liked Posts:
@CubsFutures Kris Bryant is hitting .403 on his 15 game hit streak.

Vogelbach 1-2 tonight with three walks -- I'm down with OBP, yeah you know me.

Corey Black shoved tonight.

Good night all-around for Cubs tenderfoots.

:fap:

Seriously; Bryant should be moved up. So should Vogelbach. And even though he's only had 7 appearances; I say move Pierce Johnson on up too, he's awesome right now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
:fap:

Seriously; Bryant should be moved up. So should Vogelbach. And even though he's only had 7 appearances; I say move Pierce Johnson on up too, he's awesome right now.

Theo and Jed and company are talking promtions this week. Bryant is def. moving up. Some are saying he may just skip Kane for Daytona. I didnt think they would do that because of the rain outs lately, but I forgot about Candelario being there and Bryant is going to move much quicker then anyone else.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So what do people think about Vogelbach? He is obviously a hitter but from what I am hearing he won't be able to field anywhere (range wise) at the major league level.

Status
Not open for further replies.