It's official: Cutler is starting

jc456

Liked Posts:
Yeah Alshon Jeffery has improved, because someone is ACTUALLY throwing him the football now.
So is your point that you're rooting for the Bears to lose? Is that your team spirit?

beargoggles

Liked Posts:
Listen, there is no doubt in my mind that Jay Cutler is a much more talented QB than Josh McCown. But who is playing better right now? The answer is McCown. Plain and simple. With Jay coming off an injury, and with the division riding these last three games, I'd rather go with the hot hand and that is McCown.

I don't think that is an unreasonable suggestion on my part.

I know Emery already said he wouldn't do this, but I'd franchise Cutler, draft a QB early and groom him for a year. Cut ties with Cutler next year and let the new guy work under Trestman.

If the plan is to cut ties with Cutler eventually than why waste cap money on him? Just cut him loose and draft a QB that can learn under McGown. Use that cap space to fix this god awful d line and maybe get a decent MLB

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah Alshon Jeffery has improved, because someone is ACTUALLY throwing him the football now.

And he has mastered the offense and he has improved under Trestman's tutelage. Here is a crazy idea maybe he was not as open early on because he was learning the offense.

McCown did not magically come in and make everyone better.

Hard work, good coaching and time improved the offense and McCown and Cutler will both reap the benefits.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought it would be smaller I'm probably going to change it soon

Ok, but what the hell is it? Looks like a serial killer is looking at us. Creepy. Or at least a fake cracker ass cracker trying to be one.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Far worse defenses? The difference in the defensive ratings is negligible... Cutler has faced the 17th rated best defenses on average while McCown has faced the 22nd rated defenses on average. By the end of the weekend those numbers could be flipped when all of those teams that each player has faced has played yet another game.

That stat being posted by Cutler supporters is not factual. They use the Giants 19th rated overall defensive rating(against the pass), but when Cutler played them, they gave up 302 ypg and didn't hold a team under 30+ ppg.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:

he had close to as many targets as Marshall the first 6 or so games of the season. Keep failing.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
It takes time for an offense to come together. It grows every week.

Kyle Long is playing better in week 14 than he was in week 1.
Alshon Jeffery has improved from week 1 to week 14.
Marc Trestman has gotten more familiar and comfortable with his players from week 1 to week 14.

And this can be said for every player and the scheme, if it had not improved throughout the season we would have a serious problem.

Lets see what Cutler does with the week 15 version of Trestman's offense.

i hear ya', but that same offense that Cutler was not exactly getting ahold of yet was the very same offense that McCown had tremendous success with immediately upon taking over. it's gotten better, sure, but Josh has run it better and more efficiently right off the bat, and done so given less time with Trestman than Jay had (all off-season and camp, etc.).

i hope Jay does blow things up with this offense, hoping he takes to it with even more efficiency than Josh - because that would be the best scenario imaginable - but i'm afraid i won't be holding my breath... well, actually, i'll be holding my breath every time Jay drops back, like i have always done (even when he was in Denver) wondering if it's going to be a pick or not.

would love to stop holding my breath and cringing when Jay drops back, but just don't have alot of faith in his fundamentals, instincts or his maturity.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
That stat being posted by Cutler supporters is not factual. They use the Giants 19th rated overall defensive rating(against the pass), but when Cutler played them, they gave up 302 ypg and didn't hold a team under 30+ ppg.
It was well documented that the Giants defense was being put in horrid position by the offense. The offense was being blamed. Only people with their heads up their asses and not paying attention didn't know that, so I understand.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His entire career has been growing pains.

11 turnovers to McCown's 2. I don't see it changing. It's who he is.

You cannot look at the past. This decision is about moving forward.

The turnovers are an issue and that is an area where he needs to improve. The same way we have seen Alshon improve his understanding of the offense, Long's pass blocking, Mils recognition.

If Cutler struggles in the next 3 games then I will drive him to Nashville.

We are handing him the keys to a humming Ferrari that McCown has been racing around the track with, if he fails there will be no excuses.

But why do people think that he is going to fail? And you cannot reference anything other than 2013. Because the last time he had this talent he was a Pro Bowler in Denver.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Or Trestman might see him for the loser he is. We can only hope.
It was nice that the head coach saw something in McCown to bring him in as the backup. Guess what, the back up did his job. Good for him, now it is time for the same head coach to go back to the QB he has for his starter. Not sure why that is so hard for you to figure out. But like I said on another post to you, you'll probably be rooting against Cutler. What a skanky thing to do.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i hear ya', but that same offense that Cutler was not exactly getting ahold of yet was the very same offense that McCown had tremendous success with immediately upon taking over. it's gotten better, sure, but Josh has run it better and more efficiently right off the bat, and done so given less time with Trestman than Jay had (all off-season and camp, etc.).

i hope Jay does blow things up with this offense, hoping he takes to it with even more efficiency than Josh - because that would be the best scenario imaginable - but i'm afraid i won't be holding my breath... well, actually, i'll be holding my breath every time Jay drops back, like i have always done (even when he was in Denver) wondering if it's going to be a pick or not.

would love to stop holding my breath and cringing when Jay drops back, but just don't have alot of faith in his fundamentals, instincts or his maturity.

McCown had 6 weeks to sit and watch and learn.

Now Cutler has had 6 weeks to sit, watch and learn.

We will see if he has mastered it.

Anyone who does not think that Jay Cutler cannot learn and improve and change does not know Trestman as a coach. There is a reason you are seeing everyone on offense growing and getting better.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
So you're rooting against Cutler right?

nope. just not that confident in his being what he could and should be by this time in his career, or that he'll ever be... too much evidence to the contrary, i'm afraid.

if Jay plays like Josh has been under Trestman and this offense than i'll be the fan of Cutler i always hoped to be. but let's just say i'm skeptical.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
It's strange that Cutler has so many sincere supporters who simultaneously don't seem to really believe that he'll outperform perpetual journeyman Josh McCown. Yeah we hear the stuff about Cutler being so talented, but you don't see much confidence in him actually producing.

Is he going to come in and play better than McCown or not? And if he doesn't it'll be clear that he's not the guy right? Three games seems like a fair shot. Or do we just keep moving those goal posts for Cutler indefinitely?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We are handing him the keys to a humming Ferrari that McCown has been racing around the track with, if he fails there will be no excuses.

Haha I think you underestimate the fanboys. There will be excuses a'plenty, I assure you.

jc456

Liked Posts:

Then why did McCown lose to the Vikings?

jc456

Liked Posts:
Haha I think you underestimate the fanboys. There will be excuses a'plenty, I assure you.
Nope, if Cutler fails, he fails. Me personally if Cutler does fail early, I expect this head coach to bring back in McCown.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This statement makes it sound as if Cutler hasn't played all season and is coming in to play now. Cutler has played with the same supporting cast that McCown has this season and has played worse in just about every one of those games...so this logic is starting to fail miserably.

If you have two QBs playing in the same system with the same protection and the same talent and one of those QBs is outperforming the other QB, why should we expect the other one to suddenly become the better QB of the two given the eight game body of work we've seen from Cutler?

maybe because you just got disliked?