It's official: Cutler is starting

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
How many players reach their potential with incompetent coaching [Turner, Martz, Tice] and a terrible supporting cast [Webb, Omiyale, Hester, Knox, Davis]?

Give Trestman some time to work with Cutler because if he can take a career back up in McCown and have people thinking he is a star give him a season with Cutler and see the magic that happens.

I literally cringe thinking about the offensive cast before this year and ESPECIALLY pre-marshall. Coaching included.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cutler is going to get hurt again, id rather find out Sunday than next season when he gets hurt in the first game after he was signed to a nice contract.

In fact, Id rather find out this season who we want to lead the team in the future, than to play it safe and play McCown and make the playoffs only to get bumped in the first playoff game.

The future of the team is more important to me than one playoff game that we lose. Thats why I want to see Cutler run this offense again before the season is over, and this game seems like the right one

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How many players reach their potential with incompetent coaching [Turner, Martz, Tice] and a terrible supporting cast [Webb, Omiyale, Hester, Knox, Davis]?

Give Trestman some time to work with Cutler because if he can take a career back up in McCown and have people thinking he is a star give him a season with Cutler and see the magic that happens.

Wait, who thinks McCown is a star? McCown has learned the offense in the same amount of time as Cutler and has looked better within the system than Cutler. That would be telling that Cutler doesn't get the system, or doesn't care and continues playing the same old way. I'd like to think with a full season, Cutler would have looked better, gotten the INTs under control... Going into the Eagles game in 2010 Cutler was sitting at 12 TD and 10 INT. He finished with 23/15 showing improvement within Martz system. However, as has been my main gripe with Cutler, he just can't stay on the field, which makes me want to move forward and luck into someone who isn't injury prone.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay is lucky that this game is in cleveland. If he drops a duece on the field in Chicago, the boo birds would destroy him.

beargoggles

Liked Posts:
What IF we let Cutler go and stick with Josh and Josh goes back to being old and unproductive? And Jay lands on a new team where he goes on to have multiple pro bowl seasons?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, i really cant argue with any of the points you made here. If the bears lose it will backfire but in the end, he is putting the right guy in for a chance to win this game.

IMO, this has the chance to be no win situation for Trestman. If he plays McCown, and he struggles, people will question why Cutler didn't play if healthy. If Cutler struggles why play him when McCown was playing so good. The only win here is if Cutler plays well now.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
We've seen about 5 games where Jay has been well protected. I'm counting on some big throws and a Bears W.

We've seen an equal number of games from Josh McCown in which he was equally well protected, and McCown has performed better in those games.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
If Cutler is going to get hurt again, id rather find out Sunday than next season when he gets hurt in the first game after he was signed to a nice contract.

In fact, Id rather find out this season who we want to lead the team in the future, than to play it safe and play McCown and make the playoffs only to get bumped in the first playoff game.

The future of the team is more important to me than one playoff game that we lose. Thats why I want to see Cutler run this offense again before the season is over, and this game seems like the right one

Seems reasonable as long as you hold Cutler accountable. If he plays great, awesome, he should be re-signed to a sensible deal. But if he plays worse than McCown over the course of the next three games then the excuses need to stop.

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Jay is lucky that this game is in cleveland. If he drops a duece on the field in Chicago, the boo birds would destroy him.

When a player actually gets "destroyed" from boo birds, this point will be relevant.

Nope. Still waiting.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I thought I told you to stop being rational.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trestman knows it, Emery knows it, anyone with at least a half functioning brain knows it. Cutler is the better athelete with the better chance to succeed in the long run. McCown played well above his normal ceiling.

At this point I am willing to let the formost offensive expert this football town has ever seen to make the right call on something of this magnitude.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

McCown has had 9 different offensive coordinators in his career.

McCown has had the likes of Marcell Shipp, Freddie Jones, Justin Fargas, Ronald Curry.

In 1 year, Trestman has McCown playing the position the best he has ever played. He's had Jay for the same amount of time (actually longer if you count the time he worked with him pre-draft - which everyone was found of saying) and Jay is STILL PRONE to making the same mistakes.

How many more excuses must be made for poor Jay?

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
IMO, this has the chance to be no win situation for Trestman. If he plays McCown, and he struggles, people will question why Cutler didn't play if healthy. If Cutler struggles why play him when McCown was playing so good. The only win here is if Cutler plays well now.

If he started McCown Trestman could say he doesn't feel comfortable until Jay gets more practice reps in. I don't believe that would be hard to explain. Especially since he could take McCown out in favor of Cutler if McCown struggled.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

This statement makes it sound as if Cutler hasn't played all season and is coming in to play now. Cutler has played with the same supporting cast that McCown has this season and has played worse in just about every one of those games...so this logic is starting to fail miserably.

If you have two QBs playing in the same system with the same protection and the same talent and one of those QBs is outperforming the other QB, why should we expect the other one to suddenly become the better QB of the two given the eight game body of work we've seen from Cutler?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Agree completely

Its interesting cause its almost the same thing I posted earlier, but you responded with this:

Right..Cause the coaches will decide his future on 1 game that came while he was rusty after an injury as opposed to his body of work this season..Atta boy there Gil Brandt

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
It does make sense to try and answer the question of whether Cutler can be the long term QB for the bears.

Actually, makes perfect sense.

Some people may have already decided that Cutler just isn't capable of being the guy. But the coaching staff obviously wants to see more before coming to that conclusion. Really has nothing to do with McCown and everything to do with the future of this team.

Good points, fellas.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
We've seen an equal number of games from Josh McCown in which he was equally well protected, and McCown has performed better in those games.

against far worse defenses. Not to mention he HAS made quite a few shaky throws that he has been bailed out on. Why is that being blatantly ignored?

riggs685

Liked Posts:
What IF we let Cutler go and stick with Josh and Josh goes back to being old and unproductive? And Jay lands on a new team where he goes on to have multiple pro bowl seasons?

Even as a McCown supporter, in the situation, I would have to agree that would be a risk. Though the Bears need to weigh that with cost in salary cap and the reward that may or may not be gained. If Bears drop Cutler and run with McCown while raising a draft QB, McCown could regress. On the other hand, they keep Cutler and they can't afford to address the defense.

Either way you cut it Cutler hasn't proven that he is as good as everyone wants him to be. If Trest can transform a McCown into a Gannon within this offense, why isn't Cutler a Manning. If Cutler can't perform at the top in this offense, he isn't going anywhere else that has a supporting cast better than this one.

P.S. Could you imagine Manning in this offense. That would be ridiculous.