Jenkins out for maybe 6 weeks.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He wont be on the team next season.

Yeah not buying that. He's still on a rookie deal and has lot's of talent. I do think he's going to have competition though. They need to draft some interior OL next year.

Only way I see him gone next year is if someone trades a lot for him. And why would anyone do that now?

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I like Tevin a lot, but if the best ability is availability he's failing in that regard. As much as I hate to say it, I think the Bears move on from him relatively soon. Might not be this year, but probably before next year.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Jenkins has to become a back up in his last year. The Bears goal should be to have a great OL next year and if that's the case you can't be relying on him to start. You also won't be able to bring in a strong starting G by telling them they'll be competing to start. So unless you get a guy in the draft that can play day 1, then having Jenkins penciled in as a starter is an issue.

Odds are you aren't drafting a G rd 1 because it's not smart, and after rd 1 there is no sure thing a G will be able to step in day 1. Obviously lots of good G come from day 2 picks, but it's kind of a crapshoot. So preference would be to add a starting G in FA (or hope Carter can stand out this year).

greg23

Liked Posts:
The back guy, the hip guy, now the knee guy......

He's working his way down the body; fully expect a foot injury soon

Last edited:

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
This must have happened off the field, otherwise, why would he have practiced two full days of joint practices? The timeline is really strange.

Also, it's pretty clear now that injuries are going to derail his future here in Chicago. Even if he stays healthy the rest of the season when he gets back, you can't trust this guy won't end up hurt again for an extended period of time at some point later on, which makes an extension seem highly unlikely.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I do not like to get predictive with injuries. The man could find himself with a clean bill of health going forward and he could be going through a series of terrible misfortune right now.

All that aside, the more time he spends injured, the better chance he has of losing his job. Someone who steps up and can show half of the potential Jenkins has can take his starting position for the rest of the season

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Not really sure on the conspiracy theories. He's been limping around at practice the last week or more, it seems. The guy can't be relied on.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
This news sucks but is entirely predictable. Jenkins has unfortunately had injury problems his entire career. I think he's a hell of a player when he's available but he's had a tough time staying consistently available which sucks.

My biggest reason for wanting additional competition across the offensive line for this year with the available free agent money was so we could have a real assessment on Fields and what he is/might become. I've been saying since April that I felt like they're an injury away from being back to a similar trainwreck to last season's offensive line. The fact the best offensive lineman on the team is injured again does not inspire any confidence. Justin's going to be running for his life for a third year in a row, lovely.

I feel like the Bears front office and coaches have been evaluating these players with rose-colored glasses on. It's like they don't seem to plan for anything other than an optimal outcome from a health perspective. Jenkins has had an injury history his entire time with the team. Whitehair was injured a good portion of last season. Davis has barely practiced since he arrived. So 3 of the 5 starters are guys who you can't truly rely upon to stay healthy. You're asking an awful lot from a 2nd year LT and a rookie RT to successfully do their job with such unreliability on the interior.

In summary, fuck.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Are any of these dudes worth looking into
  • Dalton Risner, G.
  • Justin Pugh, G. ...
  • Ben Jones, C. ...
  • Gabe Jackson, G. ...
  • Billy Price, G/C. ...
  • Pat Elflein, C. ...
  • George Fant. ...
  • Cameron Erving.
EDIT:
I have it on good authority (Mr B. B. BlackSheep) that Elflein, Fant and Erving are not FAs anymore.

Last edited:

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
At this point relying on him is like curing cancer with prayer. I'd love to see him pull it together and stay healthy, but the Bears can't rely on that happening. They should have put more draft capital into the line this year (for Fields' sake) but instead they rolled the dice. And it looks like that failed. Again. I'm not shocked at the outcome, and I doubt anyone else is either.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jenkins has to become a back up in his last year. The Bears goal should be to have a great OL next year and if that's the case you can't be relying on him to start. You also won't be able to bring in a strong starting G by telling them they'll be competing to start. So unless you get a guy in the draft that can play day 1, then having Jenkins penciled in as a starter is an issue.

Odds are you aren't drafting a G rd 1 because it's not smart, and after rd 1 there is no sure thing a G will be able to step in day 1. Obviously lots of good G come from day 2 picks, but it's kind of a crapshoot. So preference would be to add a starting G in FA (or hope Carter can stand out this year).

I think more likely it's Carter/Jenkins/Rookie fighting it out for starting LG next year. Davis's contract means he's the starting RG.

I would be shocked if they spent money for two guards in FA.

Free agency money is hopefully going to re-signing Mooney, Claypool, JJ and Yanick because they played well this year. If they're spending a lot of money in free agency on new guys that means this season went very poorly.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Are any of these dudes worth looking into
  • Dalton Risner, G.
  • Justin Pugh, G. ...
  • Ben Jones, C. ...
  • Gabe Jackson, G. ...
  • Billy Price, G/C. ...
  • Pat Elflein, C. ...
  • George Fant. ...
  • Cameron Erving.

Last three are not free agents. But yes, a few are.