Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Just started watching some Fromm games since I really don't watch college football anymore. Kid looks almost undraftable to me which means he's probably QB#1 on Pace's board.
But his hairline says savy grizzled veteran. He appears to be a few scant years away from being able to pull off the visor wearing testicle head .

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
maybe lets say Miller is asked to take a pay cut by the Broncos from the 17m he is owed...do they cut him....would you spend that 13m on Miller?

A lot of things can happen

Miller is going to come here for 13/season or we are paying him 22 million so we can have 48 million at edge?

They could cut Floyd and reinvest the 13 million in Robert Quinn or Markus Golden, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

The Bears need a cheap edge option.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
they already said they are bringing in a QB in free agency

My bad if I missed that. I thought it was still up in the air, like..."We're looking at all our options."

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
My thoughts on Jeremiah's list:

- Has some interesting positioning just to create buzz. Lamb over Jeudy? Brandon Aiyuk at 19? Love above Herbert (already mentioned).
- First RB is Jonathan Taylor at 36. With that being a rotational position in the NFL is he suggesting one might not be drafted in the first 2 rounds?
- It shows where the draft has high end talent (WR, QB, DL) and where it lacks that high end group (TE & RB).

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I disagree. Let Nagy Trubs and pace have next year. No reason to change any one of them. Then replace all 3 at once if needed. I think we'll be a playoff team next year so it might not happen then either.

What is the best case sceanrio?

You get league average QB play from Trubiksy and then in 2021 you are over the barrel again because your are not paying Trubisky.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My bad if I missed that. I thought it was still up in the air, like..."We're looking at all our options."

I do not think they ruled out or guaranteed either.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

they basically said something similar on the OT.....

They said both guys contracts mean they are here for another year, but who they bring in as a backup could affect things....basically someone to compete whether a free agent or a draft.

said basically the same thing about QB but it was in reference to a vet in free agency.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
they already said they are bringing in a QB in free agency
When? This is Pace at the year end presser.

“I think we’re looking to increase competition at every position,” Pace said. “Mitch is our starter. We believe in Mitch and we believe in the progress that he’s going to continue to make. … The quarterback room is critical. It’s important for us. We’re always going to try to make it better. But as far as who it is, what we’re going do, we’re not there yet.”

Pace also left open the possibility of drafting a quarterback.

“I do think that drafting a quarterback, developing quarterbacks, that’s important for the franchise,” Pace said. “You’ve seen teams do that to their advantage, to flip them for draft picks. It’s something we talk about it. It just hasn’t been something that’s lined up in recent drafts. It doesn’t mean that it’s something we still don’t believe in and something that can’t happen.”

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
funny part with self proclaimed experts on twitter they seem to thenk the Bears will get a vet in free agency and draft a QB in round 2 and have Trubisky......this is not going to happen. They can't afford it.

They will get another QB other than Chase Daniel in the room and if Trubisky continues to make too many mistakes they will bench him for the vet......they are not going to start over with a round 2 selection at QB when they should be winning now.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
When? This is Pace at the year end presser.

“I think we’re looking to increase competition at every position,” Pace said. “Mitch is our starter. We believe in Mitch and we believe in the progress that he’s going to continue to make. … The quarterback room is critical. It’s important for us. We’re always going to try to make it better. But as far as who it is, what we’re going do, we’re not there yet.”

Pace also left open the possibility of drafting a quarterback.

“I do think that drafting a quarterback, developing quarterbacks, that’s important for the franchise,” Pace said. “You’ve seen teams do that to their advantage, to flip them for draft picks. It’s something we talk about it. It just hasn’t been something that’s lined up in recent drafts. It doesn’t mean that it’s something we still don’t believe in and something that can’t happen.”

1. Pace said Mitch is the unquestioned number 1 QB going into next year.

2. He said the problems on offense were absolutely not all his fault. There were a lot of issues

3. There were signs of positive improvement by Trubisky.

4. Both backup QBs are free agents and we will increase competition in the backup roll

The last point is key for me on what Pace said....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
a round 2 QB is not going to push Trubisky for playing time, it will be a vet. And they are not going to carry a vet, Trubisky and a round 2 QB....

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
funny part with self proclaimed experts on twitter they seem to thenk the Bears will get a vet in free agency and draft a QB in round 2 and have Trubisky......this is not going to happen. They can't afford it.

They will get another QB other than Chase Daniel in the room and if Trubisky continues to make too many mistakes they will bench him for the vet......they are not going to start over with a round 2 selection at QB when they should be winning now.

I'm thinking Mitch and Case Keenum on a two year deal. Keenum will be cheap and can step right in if Mitch doesn't improve. I can't see Pace making a QB trade because he has so little to trade as far as picks go. And little cap space too.

Pace will spend a late round pick on a QB to say he's at least trying. Spend the two second rounders on OLB, TE, OLINE, WR or CB. Best available.

Then starting next year when they have a first round pick again the never ending QB search continues. Yes, if a good QB falls in round 2 I'm sure they'd jump but I'd be surprised if that happened.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
So much of what makes a QB good is pre-snap. Making sure you are never running a play into a bad look is half the battle and where Trubisky struggles a lot.

That is why I would be fine with Fromm in the 2nd.

This scheme is about getting the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there.
No doubt. There have been many QBs who either have physical limitations or only 'meh' college stats end up pretty good in the NFL. Remember this specimen:

image-placeholder-title.webp

I agree with you when talking pre-snap. Fromm is a smart guy and I could easily see him do well in the NFL. The issue I have is where he'll be drafted there are many comparable QBs, so it's more around what you want. IMHO the top 2 are locks (Burrow and Tua). After that I can't see someone taking Fromm over Herbert or Eason. After that he's in line for the #5 spot, but if you want a better athlete Love or maybe Costello. I'd add in that 2-3 round range you are drafting someone to develop, not a starter. Why not take the better athlete?

I'd also not entirely forget about Jalen Hurts. Extremely different prospect, but he did well in a gimmicky offense on a national stage. Some have Lamar Jackson comparables. I'm not there, but I also recognize Lamar did drop over concerns over his uncle Rico passing motion and his overall accuracy. Personally I think Hurts projects better in a Taysom Hill type role for an offense. Granted, Taysom Hill was undrafted, but there's no denying the value of that type of player in the right system creates interesting mismatches.

Anyway, I think there's a lot of competition where Fromm will end up going. He'll probably win someone over in a close door interview, meaning we will not see it coming.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do expect Pace to, ata minimum, get an UDFA QB.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
a round 2 QB is not going to push Trubisky for playing time, it will be a vet. And they are not going to carry a vet, Trubisky and a round 2 QB....

I agree. A lot of ppl are hoping for that, but it's going to be one or the other.

I just hope when they bring in a vet it isn't Case Keenum - that's just another stop gap and a slap in the face to the fan base. They have to take it serious. If they are thinking about bringing in some Keenum-level guy or lower, they should just try to draft Eason.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
1. Pace said Mitch is the unquestioned number 1 QB going into next year.

2. He said the problems on offense were absolutely not all his fault. There were a lot of issues

3. There were signs of positive improvement by Trubisky.

4. Both backup QBs are free agents and we will increase competition in the backup roll

The last point is key for me on what Pace said....
Again, "But as far as who it is, what we’re going do, we’re not there yet.”

But you stated that "they already said" they were bringing in a FA QB. They did not. These are all just your assumptions.

Will they bring in a FA QB? More than likely. Will he be given an honest best man plays opportunity? Probably not.
If they did would that exclude drafting a 2nd rnd QB. Absolutely not, Pace traded up and drafted a QB 2nd overall after giving Glennon $18.5M forwhat amounted to 4 starts.

Pace knows that he needs to get the QB position right and anything he does predraft will not effect what he will do in the draft if he sees a perceived upgrade available.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are going to be a ton of good WRs when we pick in the 2nd round IMO. That is where the value is IMO. We desperately need a WR with speed to challenge the top of the defense.

As for the other 2nd round pick, I would go BPA at OL/QB/OLB.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
QB/OT in any order in the 2nd round.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree. A lot of ppl are hoping for that, but it's going to be one or the other.

I just hope when they bring in a vet it isn't Case Keenum - that's just another stop gap and a slap in the face to the fan base. They have to take it serious. If they are thinking about bringing in some Keenum-level guy or lower, they should just try to draft Eason.

Who is available and better? I mean Brady and Brees are pipe dreams. I just don't see anyone out there that's better than stop gap level. Wish there was.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, "But as far as who it is, what we’re going do, we’re not there yet.”

But you stated that "they already said" they were bringing in a FA QB. They did not. These are all just your assumptions.

Will they bring in a FA QB? More than likely. Will he be given an honest best man plays opportunity? Probably not.
If they did would that exclude drafting a 2nd rnd QB. Absolutely not, Pace traded up and drafted a QB 2nd overall after giving Glennon $18.5M forwhat amounted to 4 starts.

Pace knows that he needs to get the QB position right and anything he does predraft will not effect what he will do in the draft if he sees a perceived upgrade available.

I am using the application of common sense. Bears need to win now. If Trubisky gets injured or falters a round 2 QB ain’t going to get it done.