Jim Hendry Bust or Great GM?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't read Carlos' mind.

The FACTS are his ERA last year was 4.49. The major league ERA was 4.01.

Slightly below average.

Volstad's ERA was 6.31

That is significantly worse and to try and say they were equal is an enormous stretch.
So it isn't telling you at all that no major league team offered him a slot on a major league roster? That the player that was significantly worse was given a slot on a major league roster, and that Carlos Zambrano clearly wants to pitch given him signing with an Indy league team.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I care what this team actually does.

Apparently not enough to stop defending the moves that led to a 100 loss season last year and on pace for another one this year.

I doubt that this team doesn't sign a signifcant FA during the next seven seasons, but I suppose that would matter what your definition of significant is.

My definition of a significant FA signing is a Soriano, Fielder, Greinke type of signing. A TOP free agent.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently not enough to stop defending the moves that led to a 100 loss season last year and on pace for another one this year.

My definition of a significant FA signing is a Soriano, Fielder, Greinke type of signing. A TOP free agent.
So the Cubs have made one significant FA signing in their history?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
So it isn't telling you at all that no major league team offered him a slot on a major league roster? That the player that was significantly worse was given a slot on a major league roster, and that Carlos Zambrano clearly wants to pitch given him signing with an Indy league team.

He just signed the Indy League deal this week.

Maybe he changed his mind about wanting to pitch?? After all he had said in the past once his contract had expired he would seriously consider retiring.

You don't know for a fact that he wasn't given a shot and turned it down. It is just speculation.

Just curious, please find me any sources at all that indicated Carlos Zambrano was a problem or distraction for Miami last year.

He had many of his early seasons starts blown by bad bullpen performance and eventually got pulled from the rotation, yet I don't remember hearing one thing about any temper tantrums or clubhouse distractions or being a bad teammate. Perhaps you can refresh my memory.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Maybe he changed his mind about wanting to pitch?? After all he had said in the past once his contract had expired he would seriously consider retiring.

You don't know for a fact that he wasn't given a shot and turned it down. It is just speculation.

Just curious, please find me any sources at all that indicated Carlos Zambrano was a problem or distraction for Miami last year.

He had many of his early seasons starts blown by bad bullpen performance and eventually got pulled from the rotation, yet I don't remember hearing one thing about any temper tantrums or clubhouse distractions or being a bad teammate. Perhaps you can refresh my memory.

[video=youtube;2wv8_VU0D9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wv8_VU0D9g[/video]

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
images

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[video=youtube;jhT7-yBzHlc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhT7-yBzHlc[/video]

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
So the Cubs have made one significant FA signing in their history?

I just went with recent history.

But name me another one??

Andre Dawson ended up being a significant signing, but at the time of the signing his knees were so bad that no one was willing to take a chance on him and he basically had to talk the Cubs into signing him.

Danny Jackson in the early 90's and Todd Hundley in the early 2000's??

It isn't like the Cubs have a lengthy history of significant FA signings.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Last year in Miami fisch.

Read the post and understand the paragraph.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just went with recent history.

But name me another one??

Andre Dawson ended up being a significant signing, but at the time of the signing his knees were so bad that no one was willing to take a chance on him and he basically had to talk the Cubs into signing him.

Danny Jackson in the early 90's and Todd Hundley in the early 2000's??

It isn't like the Cubs have a lengthy history of significant FA signings.

I want to understand what your definition of a top FA signing is. Seemed to indicate signing a guy at peak value for hefty dollars, and wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Just curious find me any post where I said that Carlos Zambrano was a headcase that needed to go. I said the Cubs traded a well below average starter for a guy that was even worse. Sucks that the Cubs got worse, but it isn't like the Cubs gave up something of value which is I why I don't understand the constant bickering about giving him up.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I want to understand what your definition of a top FA signing is. Seemed to indicate signing a guy at peak value for hefty dollars, and wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.

What is your definition of top then?

Top seems to be more about performance and significant is about the money spent.

I do not believe that the farm system will produce enough core players in the next 7 years that complimentary type FA signings will be enough to net 3 playoff trips in the next seven seasons.

For that to happen, most likely Soler, Baez, Almora AND whomever they draft this year will ALL need to be in the majors in the next 3-4 seasons and producing at above average to All Star level performance.

And by that point, you are looking at having to make 3 straight playoff trips or 3 out of 4 years.

Not impossible. But also very unlikely. Most likely outcome is that 1 or maybe 2 of the 4 are producing at that level and that is not enough to elevate this team to multiple playoff trips.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is your definition of top then?

Top seems to be more about performance and significant is about the money spent.
I used the word top because you used it when I asked you to define significant. I honestly have become less concerned about guys perception at the time of signing. Plenty of moves that received kudos at the time for getting a top player has blown up in the team's face, looking at you LAA.
I do not believe that the farm system will produce enough core players in the next 7 years that complimentary type FA signings will be enough to net 3 playoff trips in the next seven seasons.

For that to happen, most likely Soler, Baez, Almora AND whomever they draft this year will ALL need to be in the majors in the next 3-4 seasons and producing at above average to All Star level performance.

And by that point, you are looking at having to make 3 straight playoff trips or 3 out of 4 years.

Not impossible. But also very unlikely. Most likely outcome is that 1 or maybe 2 of the 4 are producing at that level and that is not enough to elevate this team to multiple playoff trips.
I think trade is the area that is going to have provide core players because with the changes in free agency that is the only way to net core players without huge red flags going forward, excluding international amateurs. But I agree that the farm isn't going to provide all the pieces needed to win consistently.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Plenty of moves that received kudos at the time for getting a top player has blown up in the team's face, looking at you LAA.

No one has ever said on this board that top or significant or whatever adjective you want to use, free agent signings are risk free.

But they have less risk than counting on a draft pick turning into an All Star. People look at the money as the only risk involved. It isn't. The Cubs are taking a great risk right now in completely throwing away multiple major league seasons on the gamble that these top picks turn into All Star players.

If the Cubs #2 pick this year doesn't end up being a multiple time All Star on a playoff team, then losing 101 games last year will have been a complete waste.

As for LAA, sure right now it isn't looking good, but the just signed their new TV deal and have the money to spend. There problem right now is they have no pitching and even less with Weaver on the DL. They tried to keep Greinke but he signed crosstown so they then went after the next best available player in Hamilton.

I will take having my team try and fail over failing because they didn't even try every single time.

That is why I think it is dumb to call Hendry a failure because he didn't win the World Series. That is a ridiculous standard. That would also mean that Hall of Fame players like Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, Ferguson Jenkins and Ryne Sandburg were all failures also.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the new CBA climate, the types of free agents that you seem to be pining for are few and far between. As for draft picks turning into superstars...obviously some of them have to, or else you wouldn't even have free agents to pine for in the first place.

If you're arguing in terms of money, there are multiple sources explaining why the Cubs don't have as much money as you thought they did.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
I just love how people defend GM's that lose 100+ games in a season and are on pace to do it again and then try and bash a another for never losing that many and making the playoffs with some good teams.

Some of you can argue all you want, but you continue to look like morons with this philosophy.

Some of you want to give the current regime time. But, the "unspecified" time some of you are willing to give seems to be just fine with you. You want to wait 10-15 years while crossing your fingers...fine. Go for it.

But don't try and defend this dumb ass stance to people that realize that the professional arena known as sports are about winning now. Why? Because it is a multi-million dollar business and their product is the team on the field. You know, the major league one. And when you don't do what you need to in order to win, you should be fired and slammed for it.

Only in Chicago do fans go crazy and are all excited because they lose 100+ games and get a high draft pick. Of course, unlike football, that draft pick won't even sniff the Majors for 3 years and only if he pans out.

It is painfully obvious why Boston fans were happy to get rid of this clown. Then again, now that he's gone, I see they are in the running for first place in their division. Where are the Cubs again? Oh yeah...

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
In the new CBA climate, the types of free agents that you seem to be pining for are few and far between. As for draft picks turning into superstars...obviously some of them have to, or else you wouldn't even have free agents to pine for in the first place.

And??

There was Prince Fielder staring the Cubs right in the face last year.

The draft picks that you want to depend on turning into superstars are few are far between also.

Only difference is that I and several others are saying to do BOTH things.

You are saying to put all your eggs in one basket.

If you're arguing in terms of money, there are multiple sources explaining why the Cubs don't have as much money as you thought they did.

There have been multiple OPINIONS trying to explain, or more like repeating the PR campaign they have boughten into.

There have been FACTS provided about the amount of revenue and estimated profits the team is making.

You go right ahead and continue to believe the Cubs are poor and can't manage the level of payroll that teams with less revenue and resources seem to manage.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
How many All Stars did the Red Sox draft under Theo's tenure?

2003- Papelbon
2004 - Pedroia
2005 - Ellsbury & Buchholz

Then the players that have an outside shot of being an All Star:

2006 - Justin Masterson - Back to back double digit win seasons. Got off to hot start this year and has come back down a bit. Still could be an All Star this year or next.
2006 - Josh Reddick - Put up 30+ HR season last year. Been dealing with injury this year. If he can put up another 30+ HR season, he has an outside chance to be an All-Star.
2007 - Anthony Rizzo - Right now, even with early struggles, Rizzo is 4th in OPS for NL 1B & 3rd in WAR for NL 1B.

I'll trust that track record to oversee the Cubs draft for the next few years.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
How many All Stars did the Red Sox draft under Theo's tenure?

2003- Papelbon
2004 - Pedroia
2005 - Ellsbury & Buchholz

Then the players that have an outside shot of being an All Star:

2006 - Justin Masterson - Back to back double digit win seasons. Got off to hot start this year and has come back down a bit. Still could be an All Star this year or next.
2006 - Josh Reddick - Put up 30+ HR season last year. Been dealing with injury this year. If he can put up another 30+ HR season, he has an outside chance to be an All-Star.
2007 - Anthony Rizzo - Right now, even with early struggles, Rizzo is 4th in OPS for NL 1B & 3rd in WAR for NL 1B.

I'll trust that track record to oversee the Cubs draft for the next few years.

And the whole time that Theo was drafting these guys, they were in 1st or 2nd place. BOTH!