John Lynch just on radio here in SD

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Adipost , the pace didn't need to trade up to get Trubisky argument has no leg to stand on. I think it is obvious to everyone by now that Pace needed to trade up. As for the mid round picks, you are right they absolutely have value your right.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I would also add that Soloman Thomas is the definition of a safe pick. He fits their defense and should be a ten yr starter barring serious injury. Not a perfect fit for the Bears under Fangio. Some good points made in this thread, but any good GM will never come clean while he's still working. Pace seems to have some good relationships. I think he was probably pretty honest with the niners.

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:
This is true, Pace won the trade. And he should have traded up if he had any doubts. But that doesnt mean that what he gave up was a bunch of role players/special team players. He gave up a borderline first rounder, not some scrub special teamer like many here believe.

So let's assume he would have hit on a pro-bowler like a Lance Briggs...making the same assumption would you not make that trade for a pro-bowl QB?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
My bad. I am with you then....what the heck are people griping about??? There was no guarantee that Trubisky would be there at 3.

The funny thing is that people complained when the Bears didn't pull the trigger on trading up for Mariota because it would have cost too much to do so, yet they are complaining about losing a 2017 3rd and 4th round pick and a 2018 3rd round pick to move up to guarantee that they get their BPA at a position of dire need and for fair market value per the trade chart.

Pace knew that he would have been kicking himself in the ass if he had come within one pick of getting his top target in the whole draft, not have been willing to pay market value to move up that one spot to get him and have him drafted at #2 by another team. So he was willing to lose a starter (30% best case average of getting a starter in the 3rd round) for the chance of solving their QB problems ever since they "thrilled the nation with" their "T formation."

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
None of this matters in my mind. I wanted Pace to get the QB he wanted if he thought highly enough of one. A lot of fans felt the same way. He has tied his future to MT and that is fine. He made the move, it took balls or a lack of judgement whichever you like. But MT is the future of the Bears like it or not. We'll know in about 3 years.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So let's assume he would have hit on a pro-bowler like a Lance Briggs...making the same assumption would you not make that trade for a pro-bowl QB?

One of my favorite writers, Cian Fahey, had convinced me that Trubisky was the #1 pick. So yes, I would have traded up if I had to.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This is true, Pace won the trade. And he should have traded up if he had any doubts. But that doesnt mean that what he gave up was a bunch of role players/special team players. He gave up a borderline first rounder, not some scrub special teamer like many here believe.

You are right to a certain point. The 3rd and 4th rounders have some value separately and some value together.

If Pace had not made the trade and somehow had gotten Trubisky at #3 (which I don't believe that he would have been available), he would have had the 3rd and 4th rounders in 2017. If he did not use those picks to trade up, he would have most likely have gotten special teams players and backups. Simple fact.

If he had used those picks (plus the 2018 3rd rounder) to move up, he would have had a much better chance of getting a starter with the low 1st or high 2nd he would have gotten for all the picks.

It all depends on if he makes the trade up or not.

But, yes, all draft picks have some value.

Heck, even UDFAs have value. As an example, there have often been multiple UDFAs going to most pro bowls. Sure, a pro bowl is pretty insignificant and is often a popularity contest. But consider that UDFAs don't win popularity contests and have to outwork everyone else to be invited to pro bowls.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you have a link to that article? I would like to read it.

He has a lot of stuff posted on his twitter. There is a radio piece in Cleveland where he makes the case that Cleveland should draft Trubisky over Garrett. I highly value his QB assessments. His QB breakdowns are magnificent. Fahey comes out with a booklet every year where he analyzes every snap of every QB and puts together rare new stats like dropped INT's and INT's that were not the QB's fault. Here is an article about Trubisky vs. Watson and what he looks for when breaking down a QB.

http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/12/evaluating-quarterback-prospects-mitchell-trubisky-and-deshaun-watson/

Also, read his breakdown of Brock Lobster for a good laugh.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Does anyone here even realize how many hits to the head lynch has taken?

I'll say zero....but he sure as hell gave a lot of hits with his head.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you have a link to that article? I would like to read it.

Here is an excellent interview from Cian Fahey about why Trubisky will be a successful QB and why Watson will probably be a bust. He says you cant win with intangibles and he actually says Watson is closer to Tebow level then Luck or Rodgers. He also talked about Mahomes and Kizer.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nfl/audio/16657996/

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
None of this matters in my mind. I wanted Pace to get the QB he wanted if he thought highly enough of one. A lot of fans felt the same way. He has tied his future to MT and that is fine. He made the move, it took balls or a lack of judgement whichever you like. But MT is the future of the Bears like it or not. We'll know in about 3 years.

The thing I am upset about is not the trade up to get Trubisky. It was the insane signing of Glennon. That was a completely stupid move. Hoyer would have been cheaper as a care-taker and in my opinion is a better qb than Glennon. That is why I think tht quarterback position next year will be worse than last year. I also think that it will make grooming Trubisky harder because he and Glennon are light years apart in quarterbacking a team. Trubisky has nice pocket agility while Glennon might as well have shoes made of concrete blocks.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He has a lot of stuff posted on his twitter. There is a radio piece in Cleveland where he makes the case that Cleveland should draft Trubisky over Garrett. I highly value his QB assessments. His QB breakdowns are magnificent. Fahey comes out with a booklet every year where he analyzes every snap of every QB and puts together rare new stats like dropped INT's and INT's that were not the QB's fault. Here is an article about Trubisky vs. Watson and what he looks for when breaking down a QB.

http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/12/evaluating-quarterback-prospects-mitchell-trubisky-and-deshaun-watson/

Also, read his breakdown of Brock Lobster for a good laugh.

Pretty good read. I loved the quote below. Makes sense why Cutler was a terrible QB lol.

Being accurate and making good decisions is 90 percent of your success.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
The thing I am upset about is not the trade up to get Trubisky. It was the insane signing of Glennon. That was a completely stupid move. Hoyer would have been cheaper as a care-taker and in my opinion is a better qb than Glennon. That is why I think tht quarterback position next year will be worse than last year. I also think that it will make grooming Trubisky harder because he and Glennon are light years apart in quarterbacking a team. Trubisky has nice pocket agility while Glennon might as well have shoes made of concrete blocks.

keeping Hoyer tells everyone we are targeting a QB in the draft.. probably in the first round.

Getting Glennon tells everyone we might wait and see or grab a QB in the later rounds.

Brilliant move by Pace.. who cares about basically a 1 year contract for a QB.

It also might give the Bears trade bait if Glennon plays good. No one is going to trade for Hoyer..

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Signing the much younger QB with more up-side to a deal that is easily terminated after one season, in a year in which they had a shit-ton of cap room, is "insane" and "stupid..."

:hawked:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
keeping Hoyer tells everyone we are targeting a QB in the draft.. probably in the first round.

Getting Glennon tells everyone we might wait and see or grab a QB in the later rounds.

Brilliant move by Pace.. who cares about basically a 1 year contract for a QB.

It also might give the Bears trade bait if Glennon plays good. No one is going to trade for Hoyer..

Precisely. It worked too; he completely fooled the sports media, and they didn't like it one bit.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm unsure why anyone would look at an Irish guy as an NFL analyst. Trubisky has the physical tools and he's a bit unusual for a college qb, because he does go through his progression. Most of these guys are one read and off to the races.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Precisely. It worked too; he completely fooled the sports media, and they didn't like it one bit.

And several teams calling the Bears to move up to #3 to take Trubisky.

Pace was masterful.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Soooo there were multiple offers for the pick as admitted by lynch, but the Bears negotiated against themselves. Makes sense

Adorable, some fans still think NFL teams tell the truth. You guys cling to that childish naivete if it helps.

Oh, and Kevin White is 100%!

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Adorable, some fans still think NFL teams tell the truth. You guys cling to that childish naivete if it helps.

Oh, and Kevin White is 100%!

Not very often publicly, haha.