Justin Fields or Caleb Williams?

What would you do with first overall pick?

• Trade Fields and draft Caleb Williams

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Trade #1 overall pick (big value back) and take Fields

Votes: 58 67.4%
  • Draft Williams and take Fields, put them in competition

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It's very very early, I know.

But if Fields plays like he play in the last two games and Carolina finish last.
If Fields continues to play like the last 2 games, he ends with a 65% Comp % for 4800 yrds, 59TDs, and 8INTs.

Sooooo...

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
The only right answer to this question is the 3rd option because it's the scenario that mitigates the most risk while not losing out on any upside.

Fields is under contract for at least one more season. You can always trade him at next year's deadline if Caleb Williams were to win the starting job as a rookie. I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to have both guys on your roster as insurance until you know, for sure, who the right guy is.

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The only right answer to this question is the 3rd option because it's the scenario that mitigates the most risk while not losing out on any upside.

You draft Williams and make Fields compete with him for a year. The loser gets traded (or walks in FA at the end of the year, if it's Fields).
Nah. If you draft Williams and he doesn’t beat out Fields then his trade value will be very diminished.

The #1 pick in this draft will be easily worth 3 1st round picks. You won’t get that for him after that

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Fields is under contract for at least one more season. You can always trade him at next year's deadline if Caleb Williams were to win the starting job as a rookie. I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to have both guys on your roster as insurance until you know, for sure, who the right guy is.
Nah…fields either proves it this year or he’s out. If you draft Caleb to hedge your bets, his value would be lower than it would be during the draft process because it would be one less year of control….and that’s assuming Fields solidifies himself next year. For my money, if fields doesn’t prove he’s the guy by seasons end, trade him and draft Caleb/Maye.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will be fun to watch this play out. We hope Panthers get #1 pick, then it is all on JF to do something this year.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Nah. If you draft Williams and he doesn’t beat out Fields then his trade value will be very diminished.

The #1 pick in this draft will be easily aorth 3 1st round picks. You won’t get that for him after that
I vehemently disagree with this. If Williams sits for a year, because Justin Fields is really good, teams aren't going to suddenly forget in a year of how good a prospect he is. I don't think his value changes at all.

It's also important to remember the context of how well Justin Fields would have to play in order to keep Williams on the bench. It's not like he'd be sitting because he's bad and can't play—which would diminish the value—it's because the other guy is really damn good.

Last edited:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Who is the hyped QB for the '25 draft?

If we trade the #1 that means we can easily move up in '25 so it's not just Fields vs Caleb but the '25 hyped QB(s) too.

The reason I was saying this is the year to decide is because I would've only expected the Bears to trade a future 1st for the #1 and end up having that future 1st be the #1 not the team we traded with. If we end up with the #1 again we more options than stay or go now.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I vehemently disagree with this. If Williams sits for a year, because Justin Fields is really good, teams aren't going to suddenly forget in a year of how good a prospect he is. I don't think his value changes at all.

It's also important to remember the context of how well Justin Fields would have to play in order to keep Williams on the bench. It's not like he'd be sitting because he's bad and can't play—which would diminish the value—it's because the other guy is really damn good.
No doubt changes the value. #1 pick far more valuable than an unproven player who sat for a year.

Speed

Liked Posts:

If we trade the #1 that means we can easily move up in '25 so it's not just Fields vs Caleb but the '25 hyped QB(s) too.

The reason I was saying this is the year to decide is because I would've only expected the Bears to trade a future 1st for the #1 and end up having that future 1st be the #1 not the team we traded with. If we end up with the #1 again we more options than stay or go now.

Arch Manning will be eligible by then. #1 prospect in his class, and the Nephew of Peyton and Eli if you haven't heard.

Reactions: Myk

Weebey Brice

Formerly Caleb Williams/Weebay
Liked Posts:

Caleb is about as hyped of a prospect as TLaw and Luck. If they do get the 1st pick, this is the year to decide. There’s no 2025 draft to look forward too. Either Fields or Caleb will be the QB in 2024.

Weebey Brice

Liked Posts:
Arch Manning will be eligible by then. #1 prospect in his class, and the Nephew of Peyton and Eli if you haven't heard.
He’ll be eligible in 2026 at the earliest. So I’ll probably expect him to enter in 2027.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Double Moore, Spy Justin, send pressure. I mean which one is it?
Can always double up on Moore and we've already seen early in the season when teams did that very successfully. Broncos just have the worst defense in football. They still limited Fields scrambling by assigning Spies. In fact every team has negated his scrambling except GB so far. So it's definitely doable. And Denver still forced several mistakes late in the game and that was the reason they were able to get the big comeback win.

Washington was different. Their Safety sucked and was constantly making poor decisions and Fields saw that and was able to exploit it and knew right away when he'd have Moore 1 on 1 with the Safety taking himself out of position. He didn't have the high completion % he did against Denver but saw more wide open receivers. There were many plays were Moore was getting open as quickly as he'd want to and they never adjusted.

Lets not pretend their aren't teams that can get pressure without blitzing. Can always have a spy on obvious passing downs. Just need to be sure you have one assigned who's fast enough or it's a waste. Can also contain. 11 of Fields' 19 sacks have come when not blitzed.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Caleb is about as hyped of a prospect as TLaw and Luck. If they do get the 1st pick, this is the year to decide. There’s no 2025 draft to look forward too. Either Fields or Caleb will be the QB in 2024.

Wasn't Darnold also a highly hyped QB from USC? I remember someone warning about all USC QBs.

If Fields is showing anything like he could stick you stay with the known over the hyped college QB.
Even with a Manning dynasty offspring, Eli didn't work out as good as the hype of his brother caused.

Not to mention the amount of picks two #1s in a row would pump into this team, or that Mahomes wasn't a hyped QB at all.

Weebey Brice

Liked Posts:
Can always double up on Moore and we've already seen early in the season when teams did that very successfully. Broncos just have the worst defense in football. They still limited Fields scrambling by assigning Spies. In fact every team has negated his scrambling except GB so far. So it's definitely doable. And Denver still forced several mistakes late in the game and that was the reason they were able to get the big comeback win.

Washington was different. Their Safety sucked and was constantly making poor decisions and Fields saw that and was able to exploit it and knew right away when he'd have Moore 1 on 1 with the Safety taking himself out of position. He didn't have the high completion % he did against Denver but saw more wide open receivers. There were many plays were Moore was getting open as quickly as he'd want to and they never adjusted.

Lets not pretend their aren't teams that can get pressure without blitzing. Can always have a spy on obvious passing downs. Just need to be sure you have one assigned who's fast enough or it's a waste. Can also contain. 11 of Fields' 19 sacks have come when not blitzed.
Commanders adjusted in the second half of that game tbh. Fields was his usual self and was pretty erratic once the defense figured it out. That last TD to DJ in the game would’ve been a pick six against any decent CB in the league.

Weebey Brice

Liked Posts:
Wasn't Darnold also a highly hyped QB from USC? I remember someone warning about all USC QBs.

If Fields is showing anything like he could stick you stay with the known over the hyped college QB.
Even with a Manning dynasty offspring, Eli didn't work out as good as the hype of his brother caused.

Not to mention the amount of picks two #1s in a row would pump into this team, or that Mahomes wasn't a hyped QB at all.
Imagine the outrage and anger if Fields ends up having a post contract regression, while Caleb is lighting the league up with the Giants or somebody . Good lord, it will be worse than Mahomes/Trubisky. That is definitely the darkest timeline. I know the context is different, but the Colts moved on from Peyton Manning to draft Andrew Luck. The Chargers drafted Philip Rivers while they had a Pro Bowl QB on their roster in Drew Brees. Either way, nothing is a sure thing, it will be a gamble regardless.

RandomGuy

Liked Posts:
Nothing Iis a given in the NFL. Even the skeptics know that Fields wants to be great. At that point, if he shows it for a majority of a year, if he proves he is top 5 QB then you keep him. GM drafts good players and you are set.
Starting over when you know you have a top QB is insanity.
Management needs the right players and they need to make the right moves in terms of roster.

RandomGuy

Liked Posts:
Commanders adjusted in the second half of that game tbh. Fields was his usual self and was pretty erratic once the defense figured it out. That last TD to DJ in the game would’ve been a pick six against any decent CB in the league.

Always easy to say things like this. Woulda, coulda, shoulda been is weak.
Everyone plays who is on their schedule against other pro teams. The results are all that matters. No one plays top teams every week of the year.