Justin Fields or Caleb Williams?

What would you do with first overall pick?

• Trade Fields and draft Caleb Williams

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Trade #1 overall pick (big value back) and take Fields

Votes: 58 67.4%
  • Draft Williams and take Fields, put them in competition

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Who is the hyped QB for the '25 draft?

If we trade the #1 that means we can easily move up in '25 so it's not just Fields vs Caleb but the '25 hyped QB(s) too.

The reason I was saying this is the year to decide is because I would've only expected the Bears to trade a future 1st for the #1 and end up having that future 1st be the #1 not the team we traded with. If we end up with the #1 again we more options than stay or go now.
Caleb Williams if the Bears get the #1 pick in 2024...😎😎

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Commanders adjusted in the second half of that game tbh. Fields was his usual self and was pretty erratic once the defense figured it out. That last TD to DJ in the game would’ve been a pick six against any decent CB in the league.
No, in fact, Rivera said that he said nothing to them and let them talk amongst themselves. Just a case of the HC giving up on his team. He took some flack for it.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not a QB guru, but if everyone is convinced that say Williams can be as good as Fields has been the last two games from day 1, then u reset the rookie contract clock and have tons of cap space for the next 5 years.

If Fields continues to progress and u stick with him, u have only 1 year with your QB on a rookie contract. After 2024 season you’ll need to make him one of the highest paid players in nfl history to keep him and will be strapped to sign other top tier talent around him.

Because of this, I have a feeling no matter what happens this year, if Poles has the #1 pick and Williams continues to ball out, he’s moving on from Fields.

I’m not saying it’s right, just my gut feel

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Imagine the outrage and anger if Fields ends up having a post contract regression, while Caleb is lighting the league up with the Giants or somebody . Good lord, it will be worse than Mahomes/Trubisky. That is definitely the darkest timeline. I know the context is different, but the Colts moved on from Peyton Manning to draft Andrew Luck. The Chargers drafted Philip Rivers while they had a Pro Bowl QB on their roster in Drew Brees. Either way, nothing is a sure thing, it will be a gamble regardless.

Likewise we could move on from Fields to get Darnold 2.0. The way Bears fans are Caleb could be Darnold 2.0 on another team and someone will be claiming how much better he is than Fields.
Of course you don't need to move on from Fields to get Caleb. Someone just has to accept they're not going to be the starter. So that's an option but that option requires giving up a lot of draft capital we could really use in other places.

My thing for a new QB this year is we have DJ and a better oline than we've been having for rookies so we're not starting the rookie out with nagging injuries or as many ghosts from not having any protection or targets. Of course there's no guarantee there either.

Much different context. Manning had cervical fusion and was at retirement age. Having similar cervical fusion I'm amazed he continued in the NFL at all. I dropped a log on my head I can't imagine taking multiple sacks. And of course it's only my body's way of healing but since all cervical controls head to arms I wouldn't have been throwing passes either.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
he can't do it alone

He's had pretty solid protection and DJ Moore is kind of a good receiver, if you haven't heard

Yes Moore is a great addition.
If you study film, you'll find the pass pro is not that good, in particular the LT position. And overall there have been
OL injuries, Luckily....JF has very good improvisational skills which allows him to extend the pass play.

And we have a OC that has never called plays nor designed an offense prior to last season. So I go back to
the fact that JF can't do it alone. 👈

Liked Posts:
So we're just going to ignore how Williams has said he won't go to certain franchises and rather stay in the school if it's not a franchise to his liking with the first pick?

Chicago is absolutely one of the franchises he won't want to play for...

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
It doesn't look like we'll have the #1 pick at this rate, especially given how shitty some other teams are looking.

But, could you image have the #1 overall pick in back to back years and trading down twice lol. Would be unprecedented.

Also, that might speak to how good Fields is or is not lol
How can anyone take you seriously after this post? Do you follow the Bears?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It doesn't look like we'll have the #1 pick at this rate, especially given how shitty some other teams are looking.

But, could you image have the #1 overall pick in back to back years and trading down twice lol. Would be unprecedented.

Also, that might speak to how good Fields is or is not lol
I doubt Panthers win any games, besides being a bad team lots of internal strife. Coach and Owner already banging heads. They will fold like a cheap umbrella in a windstorm. #1 locked up.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
How can anyone take you seriously after this post? Do you follow the Bears?
Omg you are so right. But why wouldn't someone take the person who's username is Les Grossman on a Chicago Bears message board seriously?

Thank you for letting everyone know.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
He’s overhyped IMO and not some grand slam prospect. He is lighting up garbage defenses and consistently has freeway sized pockets and all day to throw. A lot of his plays are off script. I haven’t seen many instances of him operating in the pocket under pressure. Having Lincoln Riley doesn’t hurt either.

Immensely talented, but extremely difficult to evaluate based on the above. Anytime he faces a halfway decent defense, he doesn’t look great. I think there’s a good chance Maye ends up being the better pro but obviously QB evals are extremely difficult and teams fuck it up every year
Total agreement here.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I’m not a QB guru, but if everyone is convinced that say Williams can be as good as Fields has been the last two games from day 1, then u reset the rookie contract clock and have tons of cap space for the next 5 years.

If Fields continues to progress and u stick with him, u have only 1 year with your QB on a rookie contract. After 2024 season you’ll need to make him one of the highest paid players in nfl history to keep him and will be strapped to sign other top tier talent around him.

Because of this, I have a feeling no matter what happens this year, if Poles has the #1 pick and Williams continues to ball out, he’s moving on from Fields.

I’m not saying it’s right, just my gut feel

So if a QB becomes "to good" he should be cut or traded because he will be to expensive?

I found a guy that would be the worst GM in the history of sports!!!!

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I have watched Williams play numerous times (I doubt many have even seen him play). Everything that makes him great as a college football player are not what people keep saying his strengths are. They tout pocket awareness, timing etc. The dude makes the majority of his plays off script and that is what makes him great as a college QB extending plays, etc. Now maybe he can continue to do that in the NFL ala Mahomes, but I am not betting the farm on it. IMO Maye will have a more successful NFL career.
I watch most of his games here on the west coast and I agree with your comments. He is no sure thing and I think JF has a
higher ceiling and has no diva vibes like Caleb and his dad, no thanks.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I keep seeing posters say Fields better “play like he has the last 2 games all season”…. Y’all realize that would be an absolute historic season for a QB? As in most passing TDs in a season ever? As in better than any Mahomes season? That’s the Chicago Bears baseline for a QB worth keeping around? Goddamn…
CCS posters are lunatics.

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's too soon to say. A lot of things could happen between now and then, including Fields being out for six months or more with an injury or Carolina ending the season with a bunch of meaningless wins. Why I would tend to go with the known quantity rather than the potential generational talent is the last Bears GM I trusted to make that call was forty years ago. Of course I would probably end up crying watching Williams break every NFL record on another team.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Who is the hyped QB for the '25 draft?

If we trade the #1 that means we can easily move up in '25 so it's not just Fields vs Caleb but the '25 hyped QB(s) too.

The reason I was saying this is the year to decide is because I would've only expected the Bears to trade a future 1st for the #1 and end up having that future 1st be the #1 not the team we traded with. If we end up with the #1 again we more options than stay or go now.
Good question, I don't have a feel for the 25 QB class yet. But if we have # 1 this year, which I think we will as I
don't see Panthers winning any more than 1 game, take all those picks and cap $$'s and build a great roster and take a QB in 25
if JF doesn't pan out. I think JF will astound everyone before then.

Reactions: Myk