Kyle Fuller would be open to re-joining the Bears

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, we know he’s capable of performing at a high level. Just have to keep him motivated.

....said about many talented players that never performed consistently at the level they were capable of.....

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, we know he’s capable of performing at a high level. Just have to keep him motivated.

Not every player reacts well to a coaching style, personality or approach. Trestman is a testament to that concept. I am conflicted on Fangio's approach with Fuller. He roasted him in the media which to me is stupid and you keep that shit in house. Then again perhaps that was what lit a fire under his ass to prove he had it when he felt healthy to return this season. I don't know.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not every player reacts well to a coaching style, personality or approach. Trestman is a testament to that concept. I am conflicted on Fangio's approach with Fuller. He roasted him in the media which to me is stupid and you keep that shit in house. Then again perhaps that was what lit a fire under his ass to prove he had it when he felt healthy to return this season. I don't know.

or maybe he wanted to get paid. Hopefully after he gets a new contract from someone, he continues his good play.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That was kinda the point I was making earlier. He almost wasn't going to get paid. He was about to be relegated to backup cornerback.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was kinda the point I was making earlier. He almost wasn't going to get paid. He was about to be relegated to backup cornerback.

right, so when he gets paid, will he become year 1 thru 3 Fuller?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
right, so when he gets paid, will he become year 1 thru 3 Fuller?

Year 1 and 2 Fuller had already flashed what he could be. Year 3 Fuller pissed people off because he said he didn't feel right to play. Year 4 Fuller balled out and naturally everyone decided to scream contract season shenanigans. This seems to be a regular occurrence by NFL fans. Everyone immediately runs to the cliche of contract year motivation.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Year 1 and 2 Fuller had already flashed what he could be. Year 3 Fuller pissed people off because he said he didn't feel right to play. Year 4 Fuller balled out and naturally everyone decided to scream contract season shenanigans. This seems to be a regular occurrence by NFL fans. Everyone immediately runs to the cliche of contract year motivation.

year 1 fuller had some flashes....year 2 fuller was awful.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
year 1 fuller had some flashes....year 2 fuller was awful.

I've already said this so many times I don't even know how it hasn't been commonly known. Year 2 Fuller was far better than year 1 Fuller. He was inconsistent for the first half of the season then he put it together for the 2nd half of the season. Enough to the point he finished the reason ranked among the league's top corners. So actually you're wrong. Very wrong.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
CB is one of the hardest positions to adjust to in the NFL outside of QB and takes the longest. Fuller finally 'gets it' and you guys want to say buh bye? What is wrong with you people? Did we not learn anything from the Alshon Jeffery situation. Imagine this scenerio - we let Fuller and Prince walk. OR even if we sign Prince, he gets hurt. Similar to our WRs. We try to get a top CB FA but fail. The draft comes and we don't take a CB until the 4th. We are then looking at starting Cooper and a 4th rounder or Callahan.

Lets keep talent when we have it!

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
CB is one of the hardest positions to adjust to in the NFL outside of QB and takes the longest. Fuller finally 'gets it' and you guys want to say buh bye? What is wrong with you people? Did we not learn anything from the Alshon Jeffery situation. Imagine this scenerio - we let Fuller and Prince walk. OR even if we sign Prince, he gets hurt. Similar to our WRs. We try to get a top CB FA but fail. The draft comes and we don't take a CB until the 4th. We are then looking at starting Cooper and a 4th rounder or Callahan.

Lets keep talent when we have it!

I'm afraid the scenario could be even worse. Callahan is a nickel corner and an elite one at that. He is a RFA this off-season. No guarantees on keeping him and people for some reason think nickels and outside corners are interchangeable which is not even in the slightest true. The skill sets to be an outside corner and a nickel corner are totally different. A prototypical outside corner can look like dog shit playing nickel and vice versa.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm afraid the scenario could be even worse. Callahan is a nickel corner and an elite one at that. He is a RFA this off-season. No guarantees on keeping him and people for some reason think nickels and outside corners are interchangeable which is not even in the slightest true. The skill sets to be an outside corner and a nickel corner are totally different. A prototypical outside corner can look like dog shit playing nickel and vice versa.

I feel you. I was just trying to lay out a realistic scenario for the Fuller detractors. I didn't look into contracts or anything. What about LeBlanc? He was the only other guy I could think of. Or even worse, Sherrick McManis goes back to playing CB. Lord help us.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I feel you. I was just trying to lay out a realistic scenario for the Fuller detractors. I didn't look into contracts or anything. What about LeBlanc? He was the only other guy I could think of. Or even worse, Sherrick McManis goes back to playing CB. Lord help us.

Bro, I dare not even try to fathom how bad our secondary can devolve outside of our current starters. I would feel like throwing up to take a step backwards after seeming finally fixing the secondary as a whole. Realistically who wants to go back to the days before Amos, Jackson, Fuller, Amukamara and Callahan? Not me my friend. Not me. You can maybe, maybe afford to lose one of those guys. Not two. Certainly not three.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The way I see it, the only way Pace can afford to let Fuller walk is if he has a proven CB signed in FA, otherwise he has to roll the dice and pay the man what the market dictates. He can make him a decent offer, and if he declines, let him taste the FA waters, but he will have to beat any other offer he may receive.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I've already said this so many times I don't even know how it hasn't been commonly known. Year 2 Fuller was far better than year 1 Fuller. He was inconsistent for the first half of the season then he put it together for the 2nd half of the season. Enough to the point he finished the reason ranked among the league's top corners. So actually you're wrong. Very wrong.

its misleading when talking about just how well fuller played in 2015. If you look at who he covered in the 2nd half of the season, aside from a few games he was covering scrubs most of the time with porter generally shadowing the top guys.

2014 - played heavy zone in tuckers scheme,
2015 - played man to man in fangio's scheme - decent year
2016 - got hurt
2017 - targeted a ton by teams and showed how good he can be coincidentally in a contract year.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I still feel they will have to tag Fuller and will do it. They can't have to try to find 2 starting CBs again. Fuller is still young and has flashed plenty to show he can play the position. He has improved in man coverage too. I originally was opposed to tagging him but I have changed my mind.

While not a fan of Cooper, he's depth at a reasonable price this year in a year where the team has no has cap concerns. I would not want him as the #2 CB though. I still would love to see one taken high in the draft.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The way I see it, the only way Pace can afford to let Fuller walk is if he has a proven CB signed in FA, otherwise he has to roll the dice and pay the man what the market dictates. He can make him a decent offer, and if he declines, let him taste the FA waters, but he will have to beat any other offer he may receive.

I've said it before but if Pace really is willing to match offers then he should slap Fuller with the non-exclusive franchise tag. Otherwise if he is that desperate to keep him for a one year rental or a prove it again deal then slap him with the exclusive franchise tag and extend him afterwards based on next season's performance. Although I am sure there would be no shortage of people saying the same tired shit of contract year for a 2nd year in a row if he balled out again.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
its misleading when talking about just how well fuller played in 2015. If you look at who he covered in the 2nd half of the season, aside from a few games he was covering scrubs most of the time with porter generally shadowing the top guys.

2014 - played heavy zone in tuckers scheme,
2015 - played man to man in fangio's scheme - decent year
2016 - got hurt
2017 - targeted a ton by teams and showed how good he can be coincidentally in a contract year.

I said this before. This season wasn't just impressive. It was eye popping production as a whole. He ended the season with 69 tackles 61 of them being solo tackles, 2 interceptions and 22 passes defended. No cornerback in the league had that combination of production. When you compare it to guys that were put into the pro bowl its a joke by comparison. People like to get wrapped up in the sexy stats for defensive players. Sacks for defensive linemen and linebackers and interceptions for defensive backs as well as linebackers. Had Fuller managed to be more sure handed with a few of those could-be INTs he didn't hold onto then people would be singing a different tune and Pace would be forced into paying him top 5 corner money no matter what to keep him.

Riddle me this guys. How many cornerbacks in the league are that willing to tackle? He flat out shit on some players this season laying the wood. He showed he was not only willing to tackle but he did it with some nastiness and cleanly. Even when it was chasing someone who he wasn't covering to make the tackle. Corners that play like that don't grow on trees. Much less have his type of production to go along with it. Target him all fucking day if that is what you're going to get from Fuller is what I have to say.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If anything I would put Fuller on the tag. You don't commit long term and he is still in a prove it year.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've said it before but if Pace really is willing to match offers then he should slap Fuller with the non-exclusive franchise tag. Otherwise if he is that desperate to keep him for a one year rental or a prove it again deal then slap him with the exclusive franchise tag and extend him afterwards based on next season's performance. Although I am sure there would be no shortage of people saying the same tired shit of contract year for a 2nd year in a row if he balled out again.

Both ways have their merits as well as their risks. My initial post on the matter was this will be very interesting to watch play out. The one thing Pace cannot do is to lose him to FA and then replace him with shit, ala the WR fiasco this year.