dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm afraid the scenario could be even worse. Callahan is a nickel corner and an elite one at that. He is a RFA this off-season. No guarantees on keeping him and people for some reason think nickels and outside corners are interchangeable which is not even in the slightest true. The skill sets to be an outside corner and a nickel corner are totally different. A prototypical outside corner can look like dog shit playing nickel and vice versa.

I like Callahan but elite??

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like Callahan but elite??

Yes he graded out elite. Only had a few lapses in coverage for the year. Take it for what you will. Callahan is a nickel absolutely worth keeping.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I said this before. This season wasn't just impressive. It was eye popping production as a whole. He ended the season with 69 tackles 61 of them being solo tackles, 2 interceptions and 22 passes defended. No cornerback in the league had that combination of production. When you compare it to guys that were put into the pro bowl its a joke by comparison. People like to get wrapped up in the sexy stats for defensive players. Sacks for defensive linemen and linebackers and interceptions for defensive backs as well as linebackers. Had Fuller managed to be more sure handed with a few of those could-be INTs he didn't hold onto then people would be singing a different tune and Pace would be forced into paying him top 5 corner money no matter what to keep him.

Riddle me this guys. How many cornerbacks in the league are that willing to tackle? He flat out shit on some players this season laying the wood. He showed he was not only willing to tackle but he did it with some nastiness and cleanly. Even when it was chasing someone who he wasn't covering to make the tackle. Corners that play like that don't grow on trees. Much less have his type of production to go along with it. Target him all fucking day if that is what you're going to get from Fuller is what I have to say.

I don't think anyone on here is saying he didn't have a great year this year and if there is then they're a moron. I think it's more about the past and the questions about what he'll be in the future. I want him back as well but no way can i not be nervous about not knowing which Fuller we'll be getting in the future.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes he graded out elite. Only had a few lapses in coverage for the year. Take it for what you will. Callahan is a nickel absolutely worth keeping.

I never said he wasn't worth keeping and actually said i like him and i do, but he was horrible last week besides that special teams return. He had a couple of bad pass interference calls cause he was beat by his guy so bad. He's good but not elite. Hopefully if we keep him he'll become elite and hopefully he'll stay healthy as well which has been a problem with him. You know i always love the guys my guy Pace hits on especially the UDFA's like Callahan.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone on here is saying he didn't have a great year this year and if there is then they're a moron. I think it's more about the past and the questions about what he'll be in the future. I want him back as well but no way can i not be nervous about not knowing which Fuller we'll be getting in the future.

We don't have the luxury of letting him walk. I keep hearing the same BS about Fuller that we heard about Alshon. "Ohhh he's hurt, he's only done it 1 year, he won't try after getting a contract, etc, etc." We have to take a chance on him. The Bears can't keep letting talent walk out the door. If Pace wants to build through the draft like he mentioned in his presser, then he actually needs to keep the people that were drafted by the Bears and are successful.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I said this before. This season wasn't just impressive. It was eye popping production as a whole. He ended the season with 69 tackles 61 of them being solo tackles, 2 interceptions and 22 passes defended. No cornerback in the league had that combination of production. When you compare it to guys that were put into the pro bowl its a joke by comparison. People like to get wrapped up in the sexy stats for defensive players. Sacks for defensive linemen and linebackers and interceptions for defensive backs as well as linebackers. Had Fuller managed to be more sure handed with a few of those could-be INTs he didn't hold onto then people would be singing a different tune and Pace would be forced into paying him top 5 corner money no matter what to keep him.

Riddle me this guys. How many cornerbacks in the league are that willing to tackle? He flat out shit on some players this season laying the wood. He showed he was not only willing to tackle but he did it with some nastiness and cleanly. Even when it was chasing someone who he wasn't covering to make the tackle. Corners that play like that don't grow on trees. Much less have his type of production to go along with it. Target him all fucking day if that is what you're going to get from Fuller is what I have to say.

dont get my wrong, i'm not down on fuller for lack of sexy stats as you called it. I think he deserves a contract extension but the problem will likely be what he thinks he should be compensated vs what the bears value him at. After such an amazing season if he is looking for top 5 CB money do the bears pay it? The chances are high that there will be a new defensive staff, how will fuller mesh with the new coaches/new techniques/new scheme? IMO pace should offer fuller AAV of 10-11 mill, if fuller balks tag him, see how he does with the new staff and for 2018 and then work on paying him top money if he continues to shine.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some more food for thought: 2018 Franchise Tag # is $15,212,000 for Kyle Fuller, about a 7% increase over 2017's tag.

I'm not sure if I got unofficial stats from somewhere or if stats were adjusted at some point from review. I don't know. I just saw that another source shows he ended the season with 66 total tackles and another source says 24 passes defended. Meh whatever, couple of tackles/passed defended here or there doesn't matter in the end. What matters though is the fact he is the only cornerback in the NFL to record at least 65 tackles and 20 passes defended.

Another nugget that I am sure people aren't commonly aware of is that by PFF's tally through 15 games Fuller played a team high 536 snaps at corner this season being targeted 113 times allowing just 57 catches and 2 touchdowns. That amounted to opposing quarterbacks posting just a 68.8 rating when throwing at him through those 15 games. I would have to look up the final numbers to be able to tell you through all 16 games but you get the picture.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Some more food for thought: 2018 Franchise Tag # is $15,212,000 for Kyle Fuller, about a 7% increase over 2017's tag.

I'm not sure if I got unofficial stats from somewhere or if stats were adjusted at some point from review. I don't know. I just saw that another source shows he ended the season with 66 total tackles and another source says 24 passes defended. Meh whatever, couple of tackles/passed defended here or there doesn't matter in the end. What matters though is the fact he is the only cornerback in the NFL to record at least 65 tackles and 20 passes defended.

Another nugget that I am sure people aren't commonly aware of is that by PFF's tally through 15 games Fuller played a team high 536 snaps at corner this season being targeted 113 times allowing just 57 catches and 2 touchdowns. That amounted to opposing quarterbacks posting just a 68.8 rating when throwing at him through those 15 games. I would have to look up the final numbers to be able to tell you through all 16 games but you get the picture.

$15m? Ouch.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yup. That is the pill you swallow in franchise tagging him. $15,212,000 right off the cap space.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Fuller on the franchise tag would be a great deal. And you keep him motivated for another year too. That is what I would do.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
DSfPrYUWAAAiica.jpg

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Not my money. Pay him.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Not easily replaced...
How many times do the Bears make this mistake.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We don't have the luxury of letting him walk. I keep hearing the same BS about Fuller that we heard about Alshon. "Ohhh he's hurt, he's only done it 1 year, he won't try after getting a contract, etc, etc." We have to take a chance on him. The Bears can't keep letting talent walk out the door. If Pace wants to build through the draft like he mentioned in his presser, then he actually needs to keep the people that were drafted by the Bears and are successful.

If we sign Fuller and he's not playing well about half way through the season then how many threads will there be about firing Pace because he signed Fuller to a contract?? I say somewhere between 7-12.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If we sign Fuller and he's not playing well about half way through the season then how many threads will there be about firing Pace because he signed Fuller to a contract?? I say somewhere between 7-12.

You can sign him to a solid contract, but also one that gives the team the option to part ways with minimal salary cap damage after a couple seasons.

Is signing Fuller a risk? Of course it is. But there's never a guarantee on any FA out there, either. Better the one You know than the one you don't, IMO...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yup. That is the pill you swallow in franchise tagging him. $15,212,000 right off the cap space.

I'd rather give him a 4 year contract worth $10-$11 mil per with all the guaranteed money runs out after two years. So lets say 4 years $44 mil with $20 mil guaranteed. If this year was him playing for a new contract or whatever then i can handle keeping/paying him for two years and then cutting him. So he gets $20 mil for two years instead of $15+ mil for one year under the tag.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather give him a 4 year contract worth $10-$11 mil per with all the guaranteed money runs out after two years. So lets say 4 years $44 mil with $20 mil guaranteed. If this year was him playing for a new contract or whatever then i can handle keeping/paying him for two years and then cutting him. So he gets $20 mil for two years instead of $15+ mil for one year under the tag.

Sounds good on paper, but isn't going to happen. $20 mill guaranteed isn't going to get the job done. A 4 year contract with $30 mill guaranteed might.....

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Sounds good on paper, but isn't going to happen. $20 mill guaranteed isn't going to get the job done. A 4 year contract with $30 mill guaranteed might.....

A 4 year deal averaging over 10m a season woldnt get it done? Look at Slay's contract extension in Detroit last year. He had proven himself longer, yet didn't get 10m per. FA contracts likely go up this year, but 10m should do it for a player like Fuller.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Remember when everyone was pissed that Pace missed out on Bouye last year and now they don't want to sign Fuller?

images

I missed the posts where people said they don't wanna sign him. I saw a lot of posts of people that would be nervous about giving him a multi year contract or paying him $15+ for the tag, i saw posts of people saying if we didn't sign Fuller then they better sign one of the top free agent CB's or draft one in the 1st round.

Fuller had a crazy great season for us and if the pro bowl wasn't a popularity contest he would of made the pro bowl this year but even the people that are saying we need to sign him to a multi year contract or tag him can't not have some questions about it. I'm down with signing him and love that he came back and had the type of season he had after all he went through last year the injury and with what Fangio said about him and i'm sure fans were all over twitter saying bad things about him. That says a lot about him to not only come back and have a good season but to have a really good season and stay healthy, but i'll still have questions about him until i see him playing good football next year.