Kyle Fuller would be open to re-joining the Bears

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A 4 year deal averaging over 10m a season woldnt get it done? Look at Slay's contract extension in Detroit last year. He had proven himself longer, yet didn't get 10m per. FA contracts likely go up this year, but 10m should do it for a player like Fuller.

The thing you fail to realize about Slay's contract is it was an extension, Fuller is a FA. You have to take into account he got a substantial raise (and thus less risk) in the final year of what would have been his rookie contract.

I had to edit this, I misread what you were saying.......... I think it's all about the guaranteed money, closer to 11 mil per year with a 4th year option.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Sounds good on paper, but isn't going to happen. $20 mill guaranteed isn't going to get the job done. A 4 year contract with $30 mill guaranteed might.....

Damn , you think the guaranteed money would get to $30 mil?? I'm not sure it will get that high but i guess $20 is a little light so lets say $27 mil guaranteed. I'd still rather pay him $27 mil for 2-3 years then one year at $15+ especially when we have money to spend at other positions in free agency.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If we sign Fuller and he's not playing well about half way through the season then how many threads will there be about firing Pace because he signed Fuller to a contract?? I say somewhere between 7-12.

There is a calculated risk in signing or giving any player a contract. Fuller had a great year. If we ever want this rebuild to end, Pace needs to stop creating holes on the team. Sure, there is always a chance a player is going to regress. Fuller is coming off his best season and coming into his prime. Sounds like a good risk to me.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn , you think the guaranteed money would get to $30 mil?? I'm not sure it will get that high but i guess $20 is a little light so lets say $27 mil guaranteed. I'd still rather pay him $27 mil for 2-3 years then one year at $15+ especially when we have money to spend at other positions in free agency.

Yeah, 27 guaranteed mil might get the job done. It will all depend on who's actually hits the market this year. 20 Mil guaranteed isn't much better (for Fuller) than playing under (ie forcing) the Tag.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
There is a calculated risk in signing or giving any player a contract. Fuller had a great year. If we ever want this rebuild to end, Pace needs to stop creating holes on the team. Sure, there is always a chance a player is going to regress. Fuller is coming off his best season and coming into his prime. Sounds like a good risk to me.

Well yeah signing Fuller to a contract after watching what he did last year sounds great to every Bears fan but all the questions being brought up on here are all being brought up in Pace's meetings. There's the fans way of looking at it and then the front office way of looking at and they're the ones with jobs on the line.

Don't get me wrong here cause i love Fuller and want him back as well but the question marks are there.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah, 27 guaranteed mil might get the job done. I twill all depend on who's actually hits the market this year.

If it were me i'd bring both Prince and Fuller back and either cut Cooper and draft a CB in the 4th or sign one in free agency for cheaper then what we have Cooper for. I do think Cooper is better then what he showed in his minimal playing time he got but i wouldn't miss him if we did cut him. What's his contract anyway? Isn't it only around $5 mil per? If so then i might just keep him. We also have a new HC and DC coming in so they'll have a say in how any of these guys fit their scheme.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup. That is the pill you swallow in franchise tagging him. $15,212,000 right off the cap space.

Not that I care, but Ryan Pace is going to look pretty foolish applying the franchise tag on Fuller for the same season he just declined his 5th year option.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Not that I care, but Ryan Pace is going to look pretty foolish applying the franchise tag on Fuller for the same season he just declined his 5th year option.

the reason the 5th yr option was declined was due to his inconsistent play/injury
the reason to tag him now is to see how he does with a new staff before trying to extend him long term

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd rather give him a 4 year contract worth $10-$11 mil per with all the guaranteed money runs out after two years. So lets say 4 years $44 mil with $20 mil guaranteed. If this year was him playing for a new contract or whatever then i can handle keeping/paying him for two years and then cutting him. So he gets $20 mil for two years instead of $15+ mil for one year under the tag.

I get what you're saying but that is a pipe dream. People need to make the cruel realization he is due a large contract and he is not going to leave money on the table. He played like a top 5 cornerback in several ways while still leaving room for improvement in other areas. As I've said before the only reason he isn't going to get the extreme contract is because he missed out on a bunch of opportunities to get some more interceptions and he had a couple of bad games this season.

Sounds good on paper, but isn't going to happen. $20 mill guaranteed isn't going to get the job done. A 4 year contract with $30 mill guaranteed might.....

This, he is going to get much more guaranteed money than 20 Mil imo.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I think he had every reason to not pick up his 5th year option after last year. Now of course we'll have the good ole people that love to live in the hindsight and say he fucked that up but at that time it was a good move.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The 5th year option is only guatanteed due to injury. Wasn't worth the risk at the time.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I get what you're saying but that is a pipe dream. People need to make the cruel realization he is due a large contract and he is not going to leave money on the table. He played like a top 5 cornerback in several ways while still leaving room for improvement in other areas. As I've said before the only reason he isn't going to get the extreme contract is because he missed out on a bunch of opportunities to get some more interceptions and he had a couple of bad games this season.

This, he is going to get much more guaranteed money than 20 Mil imo.

Well i already changed that to him getting $27 mil guaranteed so there's that and there's much more reason to hold back from paying Fuller top 5 CB money then just all of his missed opportunities on some INT's. It's already been gone over many times about how great he was this year but if you look at the money and years part of what he deserves like a GM is gonna look at it then the GM is gonna look at all the questions that have been brought up on here while the fan is just gonna say "pay the man".

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think he had every reason to not pick up his 5th year option after last year. Now of course we'll have the good ole people that love to live in the hindsight and say he fucked that up but at that time it was a good move.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz but need I remind you that Fuller had his coach roast him publicly and give up on him after 2 years of play. Its that sort of stupidity that makes me not give a shit about losing Fangio this off-season. No coach in his right mind gives up on a top drafted cornerback after only two years when he had flashed his potential in those two years. It was supreme meatballing to call him out over not feeling right to play last season. Now I can't nor won't I speculate if that was after all the proper tact to take with him to light a fire under his ass but what I can say is that I doubt that was Fangio's intention because he was all too ready to bench Fuller as cornerback depth this season until Amukamara's injury forced Fuller onto the field for the pre-season.

So TLDR, I understand the not picking up his 5th year option reasoning but there is no justification for how Fangio handled and gave up on Fuller. He's a moron in that regard. DBs don't routinely develop fast. Its a rarity to have a defensive back that balls out from the very get go. Its why Eddie Jackson has been so impressive to me.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz but need I remind you that Fuller had his coach roast him publicly and give up on him after 2 years of play. Its that sort of stupidity that makes me not give a shit about losing Fangio this off-season. No coach in his right mind gives up on a top drafted cornerback after only two years when he had flashed his potential in those two years. It was supreme meatballing to call him out over not feeling right to play last season. Now I can't nor won't I speculate if that was after all the proper tact to take with him to light a fire under his ass but what I can say is that I doubt that was Fangio's intention because he was all too ready to bench Fuller as cornerback depth this season until Amukamara's injury forced Fuller onto the field for the pre-season.

So TLDR, I understand the not picking up his 5th year option reasoning but there is no justification for how Fangio handled and gave up on Fuller. He's a moron in that regard. DBs don't routinely develop fast. Its a rarity to have a defensive back that balls out from the very get go. Its why Eddie Jackson has been so impressive to me.

It was probably just to light a fire under his ass and it seemed to work quite well actually and no you didn't need to remind of that since i was already mentioning it in other posts. Pace went out and signed Prince and Cooper because they had no idea what Fuller was gonna be this year so i wouldn't say Fangio gave up on him at all. I wouldn't call it a rarity that DB's don't ball out right away since i can name many that have but it's definitely one of the positions that they usually take longer to develop their game for sure.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your definition of balling out and my definition of balling out for young DBs are probably not the same.