Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Still gotta like what you've seen out of these two
Absolutely. Both of them along with Wada appear to be safe bets for next season. Let's see if anything can be done with Turner. I'm not sure the Cubs' FO knows exactly what they will need in the off-season, except for at least 1 TOR.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Absolutely. Both of them along with Wada appear to be safe bets for next season. Let's see if anything can be done with Turner. I'm not sure the Cubs' FO knows exactly what they will need in the off-season, except for at least 1 TOR.

And for me (not as a hater but as a fan) I am not sure the FO knows how to handle quality pitching. They have made some cheap smart moves, but on their attempts at long term success they have come up empty.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And for me (not as a hater but as a fan) I am not sure the FO knows how to handle quality pitching. They have made some cheap smart moves, but on their attempts at long term success they have come up empty.
Who have they tried to have long-term success with? They haven't even barely finished turning over the roster/salary structure to where they want it. ???

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

I consider who they targeted and say I will remain on the sidelines until more evidence is there. To want Sanchez and Tanaka as long term pitchers, swing and miss, and settle for E-Jax is not enough for me.

The initial thought was in the right place, but their reactionary thought was what was flawed.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If you were a stud TOR pitcher would you of wanted to sign with the cubs the last 3 off seasons if money and years were close with a better competitive team ?

Even though their a bit closer with a couple of their top prospects arriving, you have to think lester and scherzer might hesitate in signing with cubs this off season if a team that ready to contend in 2015 offers up close to same offer..

Honestly I think only chance cubs have in signing a guy like lester is too offer him crazy money and years thst blows away any other offer...

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Who have they tried to have long-term success with? They haven't even barely finished turning over the roster/salary structure to where they want it. ???
Shark Garza Darvish
I consider who they targeted and say I will remain on the sidelines until more evidence is there. To want Sanchez and Tanaka as long term pitchers, swing and miss, and settle for E-Jax is not enough for me.

The initial thought was in the right place, but their reactionary thought was what was flawed.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If you were a stud TOR pitcher would you of wanted to sign with the cubs the last 3 off seasons if money and years were close with a better competitive team ?

Even though their a bit closer with a couple of their top prospects arriving, you have to think lester and scherzer might hesitate in signing with cubs this off season if a team that ready to contend in 2015 offers up close to same offer..

Honestly I think only chance cubs have in signing a guy like lester is too offer him crazy money and years thst blows away any other offer...
And has been that way for sometime

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I think a lot of players understand what is going on in Chicago and the tide is definitely turning. Maybe not this offseason, but I really believe next year for sure the Cubs will be the top FA destination for pitchers. At that point, we will see what all these prospects are really made of. Baez, Bryant, and Soler will have a year or so experience and the team will really see where they stand moving forward.

This year with Lester I think the Cubs can definitely contend for him, but there are teams that will be for sure things heading into next season competing for him

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Thats a pretty big pie in the sky right there. I can't recall the Cubs ever being the destination for a FA

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i thought this was the greg maddux thread. whoooops. :rolleyes:

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Shark Garza Darvish
Garza? What Epstein got back from trading Matt looks good. Darvish? When has Darvish ever been associated with the Cubs? Why would Darvish have wanted to be a Cub? Shark? He didn't want to be a Cub for the right money. Arrieta is excited enough, he wants a long term contract. The team has turned a corner. The mood of FA towards the Cubs should be considerably different this off-season.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Garza? What Epstein got back from trading Matt looks good. Darvish? When has Darvish ever been associated with the Cubs? Why would Darvish have wanted to be a Cub? Shark? He didn't want to be a Cub for the right money. Arrieta is excited enough, he wants a long term contract. The team has turned a corner. The mood of FA towards the Cubs should be considerably different this off-season.

Shark was excited too. He wanted to stay. Like i said this team has not shown the ability for long term pitching. And if I am a FA I am only considering the Cubs like the past with a bump of 20%. The Cubs have not shown to value games. Until they actually do that and a good selection of prospects pan out I want to be on a team that can win. That ain't the Cubs for this crop of Free Agents. It's too early so as a free agent assuming all things work out on the Cubs I am only coming this off season if they can top the best off I have from a contending team by 20%. Because as much as a FA wants to win, Cash seems to almost always be king.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Oh I understood you as saying you don't recall them ever being a destination for FA. Does Soriano ring a bell? Or is your memory just shot?
You mean the guy they grossly overpaid for to get him to come to the Cubs? You weren't even born when then was done, right??

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
You mean the guy they grossly overpaid for to get him to come to the Cubs? You weren't even born when then was done, right??

LOL, most top level free agents are overpaid. Yes I was alive and well, I just don't use revisionist history to fit my bias.