PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well, good player that I hate to see go, but the writing was on the wall. The Bears weren't able to win with Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett, so they might as well get something for him before he walks in FA next off-season. The compensation pick after next off-season would potentially be for the 2018 draft, but there is no guarantee in the Bears getting a comp pick just b/c Bennett signs somewhere else.

It sucks to lose a talent like Bennett, but I can understand the rationale behind trading him and getting the 4th round pick for him. Teams build through the draft in today's NFL, not free agency. The way of the current NFL is to draft and develop your talent. The only position on the field where I can see the Bears obtaining or keeping a guy well into his 30's is at QB. I know Cutler isn't that guy, but what this added pick allows is for more draft flexibility at the top of the draft. It is well documented, many people like the depth of this draft at DL. The Bears now have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds of this draft.

I believe they can now pick a QB to develop behind Jay for a couple years and still get 4 quality players to impact this roster through 4 rounds of this draft.

Do I like losing the "Black Unicorn"? No. Do I like Pace attempting to build a roster for not only this season, but with an eye on the future? Yes. It's hard to have both in the NFL. I don't believe the Bears were a Super Bowl contender this year or next year, so why not get something for Bennett. I believe the trade market would have been better for him later this summer or during pre-season, but not my call.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread is a veritable orgasm of Stupid. And, of course, it's the Usual Suspects leading the charge.

Completely agree. I can't believe that anyone here is the slightest bit surprised at trading MB. Everyone knew this was coming and the Bears got about what was predicted. Now, everyone is shocked. Shocked. And after this widely predicted event, the meat-head haters are lining up taking the terribly boring and now routine shots at Pace, Fox or anyone else they can somehow blame.

They are re-building. MB has been a malcontent and that has been reported dating back to his days with the Cowboys. Get over it.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Funny people keep mentioning that teams build thru the draft by 45% of Denver's snaps were played by free agents and Carolina had about 43% of their snaps from free agents as well.
I'd rather the bears build thru the draft but to say you have to build that way to compete for championships is simply not true

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Funny people keep mentioning that teams build thru the draft by 45% of Denver's snaps were played by free agents and Carolina had about 43% of their snaps from free agents as well.
I'd rather the bears build thru the draft but to say you have to build that way to compete for championships is simply not true

It is economics.

Draft picks are cheap. The Broncos had Jackson, Trevathan, Wolfe and Marshall making 2 million combined.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread is a veritable orgasm of Stupid. And, of course, it's the Usual Suspects leading the charge.

With Mongo-loid as the tip of the spear.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Tell me how it has worked for the Bears signing those free agents over the last 10-15 years. Sure they hit on a couple, but they didn't win anything with them either. You need both, you need to draft well and sign free agents that don't break the bank, so you have flexibility under the cap. If you miss on your draft picks, it just costs you more money on the free agent market and ruins your cap flexibility.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Stat line it's a FACT he is a Top 5

I'm good with trading him cause we get a 4th round pick, $5 million and if he isn't getting along with the coaches and players then i don't want him in our locker room or on our team but the people that don't think he's a top 5/7 TE in the NFL are fooling themselves cause he absolutely is.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I thought Fox was a players coach. A coach that commands the locker room, rallies the players around him, and gets 100% buy in.

And in every single interview you see with Chicago Bears players, be it after practice during the week, in post-game press conferences after a win or a loss, one thing is consistent: The players have bought in completely, and love working for Fox and company.

Guess not.

Why do you ALWAYS find the bad in everything Bears?? No matter what's going on with the Bears you ALWAYS find the bad and bring it up on here but NEVER talk about anything positive. It must be horrible to be nothing but negative.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Tell me how it has worked for the Bears signing those free agents over the last 10-15 years. Sure they hit on a couple, but they didn't win anything with them either. You need both, you need to draft well and sign free agents that don't break the bank, so you have flexibility under the cap. If you miss on your draft picks, it just costs you more money on the free agent market and ruins your cap flexibility.

Well, good player that I hate to see go, but the writing was on the wall. The Bears weren't able to win with Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett, so they might as well get something for him before he walks in FA next off-season. The compensation pick after next off-season would potentially be for the 2018 draft, but there is no guarantee in the Bears getting a comp pick just b/c Bennett signs somewhere else.

It sucks to lose a talent like Bennett, but I can understand the rationale behind trading him and getting the 4th round pick for him. Teams build through the draft in today's NFL, not free agency. The way of the current NFL is to draft and develop your talent. The only position on the field where I can see the Bears obtaining or keeping a guy well into his 30's is at QB. I know Cutler isn't that guy, but what this added pick allows is for more draft flexibility at the top of the draft. It is well documented, many people like the depth of this draft at DL. The Bears now have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds of this draft.

I believe they can now pick a QB to develop behind Jay for a couple years and still get 4 quality players to impact this roster through 4 rounds of this draft.

Do I like losing the "Black Unicorn"? No. Do I like Pace attempting to build a roster for not only this season, but with an eye on the future? Yes. It's hard to have both in the NFL. I don't believe the Bears were a Super Bowl contender this year or next year, so why not get something for Bennett. I believe the trade market would have been better for him later this summer or during pre-season, but not my call.

I enjoy your posts. please post more.

I'm not a fan of letting Marshall, Forte, and Bennett go in the slightest, but even with all that high level talent they couldn't win. my opinion, Ryan Pace is doing good business thus far.

now he just needs a quarterback.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I'm not a fan of letting Marshall, Forte, and Bennett go in the slightest, but even with all that high level talent they couldn't win. my opinion, Ryan Pace is doing good business thus far.

Honestly, pace's next step is that he jettisons Cutler next year after he drafts someone this year. He set out to get rid of this toxic atmosphere with marshall, Bennett and cutler. Easier to dump guys who actually produce so that's why marshall was the first to go. Cutler he had to be patient with because of his contract and numbers, but it's an easy cut after this year.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I think you missed the entire point of the post.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think he pulls the trigger on a QB this year, if the right one is sitting their at #11 or in the 2nd/3rd rounds. Pace and company would still have 4 picks in the top 4 rounds of this draft that can have a big impact on the roster. I can see them using 1 of the 5 picks (first 4 rounds) on a QB, now more than ever, after the Bennett trade.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You do know Bennet only played in 10 full games last year right?

You do know that Bennett had more catches and the same exact yards which was padded with a fluke 87yrd Miller TD

It's fucking ridiculous how we're arguing about M.Bennett and if he would of got cut if not traded and now we're comparing Z.Miller to M.Bennett on how good of players they are.....hahahaha. There is no comparison on who's the better TE out of the two cause it's easily Marty. The Marty lovers need to understand that not one single person knows just how much of a problem Marty really was for our Bears in the locker room or on the field or sidelines because we only hear a little bit cause they don't let stuff like that out. If the guy is getting in the way of what J.Fox is trying to do then why wouldn't you want him gone?? You do want the Bears to get better right?? If so then to do that the team needs to go by what J.Fox wants and what kind of people he wants on the team and if there's a player that's getting in the way of that then that player needs to go or he's just gonna keep disrespecting what Fox is trying to do and the younger players see that shit and it can rub off on other players which you absolutely don't want. M.Bennett is a beast on the field when he's happy and his head is right but if he would of been on the team next year he wouldn't of been happy and his head wouldn't of been right so he had to go.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is economics.

Draft picks are cheap. The Broncos had Jackson, Trevathan, Wolfe and Marshall making 2 million combined.

Yep, and its why Belichek values draft picks almost as much as his own children. He knows you build through the draft first and foremost, and the more picks you have the better you can build. They have 11 draft picks this year and no 1st rounder even.

Sure they sign a FA here and there but generally all very team friendly deals. ( like Pace has been doing ) and they are consistently in the playoffs year after year after year.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you missed the entire point of the post.

ok, I don't think I did, but i could be wrong, I try to keep an open mind. You basically stated that the 2 super bowl teams were free agency built (nearly 45% of their snaps), which is fine. Every team needs to sign free agents to complete their rosters. I think signing big names every year or every other year isn't sustainable in the long term.

I realize there are more ways to skin a cat than just 1 way. I think spending big money in free agency turns you into a 1 trick pony with cap limitations down the road, which if you draft well might impair the ability to keep your talent. Drafting your talent and getting production from cheaper contracts is more sustainable for long term relevancy in this league than signing big contracts.

It comes back to balancing the draft and filling needs with free agency. I would rather lean on the draft, than spending big money on the open market. Keep your key, core talent year to year like the good teams, then fill in with the draft and mid-low level free agent signings.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Status
Not open for further replies.