Status
Not open for further replies.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
ok, I don't think I did, but i could be wrong, I try to keep an open mind. You basically stated that the 2 super bowl teams were free agency built (nearly 45% of their snaps), which is fine. Every team needs to sign free agents to complete their rosters. I think signing big names every year or every other year isn't sustainable in the long term.

I realize there are more ways to skin a cat than just 1 way. I think spending big money in free agency turns you into a 1 trick pony with cap limitations down the road, which if you draft well might impair the ability to keep your talent. Drafting your talent and getting production from cheaper contracts is more sustainable for long term relevancy in this league than signing big contracts.

It comes back to balancing the draft and filling needs with free agency. I would rather lean on the draft, than spending big money on the open market. Keep your key, core talent year to year like the good teams, then fill in with the draft and mid-low level free agent signings.

NoWhere in my post did I suggest signing big names all the time in free agency. And nowhere did I suggest or hope for building the team that way. But as I suggested, Denver has proven that statement inaccurate that a team needs to build solely thru the draft to compete. (Carolina actually only had 38% snaps by FA's) The 2006 Bears had nearly 38% as well.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep, and its why Belichek values draft picks almost as much as his own children. He knows you build through the draft first and foremost, and the more picks you have the better you can build. They have 11 draft picks this year and no 1st rounder even.

Sure they sign a FA here and there but generally all very team friendly deals. ( like Pace has been doing ) and they are consistently in the playoffs year after year after year.

BB is also a master of letting players go just before or right at the time they start to decline. Like 30+ year old running backs. He will also cut a malcontent without thinking about it, too. MB doesn't move is ass to the huddle fast enough or to the line of scrimmage and his tenure won't be long and Brady sure as hell won't throw him the ball. BB is also a master of finding mid-round players that contribute. He will also use FA to improve the team.

Pace, I think, is trying to do a lot of the same things. I do not for one second believe that he is the second coming of BB. But you build your team through the draft and FA. You get the locker room you want, players buy in and cooperate or they're gone. You get the players that work with your system. The Bears are a long, long way from having who they need in the locker room and on the field. But this is a complete tear down and re-build. That takes time and some hurt feelings from the fan base-misguided or not.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They didn't know shit it was speculation.

Also there is not "crying" it's called discussion which is something you do here on a message board.

Like you said, it was speculation so that means you also don't know if it were true or not.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
He moved us up 77 spots in the third day of the draft. Does that sound like the value of a top TE?

That's not the right question. It should be: we have a player with one year remaining on his contract, has torched his bridge in Chicago and will never play another down for the Bears and everyone knows it, can we get anything for him at all?

This, like BM, was not a "market" deal, it was a fire-sale because the team had zero leverage once the league realized we were in a purge situation.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
But the 6th rd pick was still value and the 4th rd pick is really late, just 4 picks, from being a 5th rd.

I just dont see the gain of adding the additional pick with a top TE in the league.

Because you can't seem to grasp the obvious fault in your premise. Unicorn was not playing a down for the Bears in 2016, period, under any circumstances, and therefor he was in no way valued as a "top TE in the league".

LOL at all the tears and whining......Olin, Url, Peanut, Hester, BM, Forte, MB - bunch of zit-faced teenage fanboys fawning over them.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
NoWhere in my post did I suggest signing big names all the time in free agency. And nowhere did I suggest or hope for building the team that way. But as I suggested, Denver has proven that statement inaccurate that a team needs to build solely thru the draft to compete. (Carolina actually only had 38% snaps by FA's) The 2006 Bears had nearly 38% as well.

Where did I say, "solely thru the draft"? I think I've recognized in my posts it takes a mixture of draft and free agency, I think the Bears just have to make smart decisions in free agency. I think every team would love to hit on their draft picks, rather than signing free agents, why else would they put all this energy and money into the combine and draft?

Ok, it appears I misrepresented/assumed big name free agents. I think we are talking about the same message, at the end of the day. Sorry I took your post out of context. I know there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, but I don't feel big name, splash signings is the way to consistently build a winner in the NFL (this statement isn't assuming this is what you think). I think for long-term success, you stick with mid to lower level free agent signings and hopefully you are successful in the draft, especially the early rounds.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
How have you not been banned? We know what you are trying to do.

So you're saying either get into the circle jerk of lemming stupidity or get banned?

They won't ban me because I'm always right.

Just because you don't like what I have to say, doesn't mean I should be banned.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
That's not the right question. It should be: we have a player with one year remaining on his contract, has torched his bridge in Chicago and will never play another down for the Bears and everyone knows it, can we get anything for him at all?

This, like BM, was not a "market" deal, it was a fire-sale because the team had zero leverage once the league realized we were in a purge situation.

In other words, Pace got boned... because his coach who has 100% players buy-in, couldn't get buy in.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Why do you ALWAYS find the bad in everything Bears?? No matter what's going on with the Bears you ALWAYS find the bad and bring it up on here but NEVER talk about anything positive. It must be horrible to be nothing but negative.

I find the bad when there is bad.

Have you not watched this team for the last couple of years?

6-10...

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Because you can't seem to grasp the obvious fault in your premise. Unicorn was not playing a down for the Bears in 2016, period, under any circumstances, and therefor he was in no way valued as a "top TE in the league".

LOL at all the tears and whining......Olin, Url, Peanut, Hester, BM, Forte, MB - bunch of zit-faced teenage fanboys fawning over them.

How do you know he wasn't playing a down? At no point did Pace or Fox mention he was getting cut or ride the bench next season.

I don't think we reviewed the appropriate value for him. It would be at the very least less discouraging if we didn't add a pick to the trade. You can disagree but thats how I feel which doesn't mean shit but some here are determined to think it does.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
How do you know he wasn't playing a down? At no point did Pace or Fox mention he was getting cut or ride the bench next season.

I don't think we reviewed the appropriate value for him. It would be at the very least less discouraging if we didn't add a pick to the trade. You can disagree but thats how I feel which doesn't mean shit but some here are determined to think it does.

Most of the time, a GM or HC won't flat out announce they are going to cut someone until they actually do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.