Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post

That's not the right question. It should be: we have a player with one year remaining on his contract, has torched his bridge in Chicago and will never play another down for the Bears and everyone knows it, can we get anything for him at all?

This, like BM, was not a "market" deal, it was a fire-sale because the team had zero leverage once the league realized we were in a purge situation.

In other words, Pace got boned... because his coach who has 100% players buy-in, couldn't get buy in.

You both are right. Pace showed his hand and the other teams knew that the Bears were desperate to get something back for Bennett. Bad card playing by Pace:(

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
How do you know he wasn't playing a down? At no point did Pace or Fox mention he was getting cut or ride the bench next season.

I don't think we reviewed the appropriate value for him. It would be at the very least less discouraging if we didn't add a pick to the trade. You can disagree but thats how I feel which doesn't mean shit but some here are determined to think it does.

It's the same clowns who felt Emery walked on water as well.

Some fans could give a shit less about being bent over. It's almost like they enjoy losing.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Most of the time, a GM or HC won't flat out announce they are going to cut someone until they actually do it.

I completely agree. Then why was it so widely known, according to some here, that he was not playing for the Bears in 2016. It was all speculation from,hum hum, media reports

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I completely agree. Then why was it so widely known, according to some here, that he was not playing for the Bears in 2016. It was all speculation from,hum hum, media reports

Inside sources. How does anyone ever find out about anything before it is announced by the team. You think a GM is the one calling Adam Schefter?

mecha

Liked Posts:

it's happened so many other times here I can't even specifically cite another instance of it lol

professional athletes, people. Bennett didn't seemingly lay down last season cause he's OMGPISSED at the regime, he played half of it hurt before going on IR. ironically Marshall IRed out the rest of 2014, then people started trumpeting the cancer bullshit.

fucking get lives already.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Good trade. Now let's move on.....might need to draft a "young TE" though the draft is weak for TEs....precious little left in FA as to TEs......let's see what Pace comes up with....?!

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Good trade. Now let's move on.....might need to draft a "young TE" though the draft is weak for TEs....precious little left in FA as to TEs......let's see what Pace comes up with....?!

Pace created a need for a position in a weak draft class at the same time wasting a pick that is needed for a below average Defense with glaring holes to fill. Then he gives a pick away. Tsk tsk tsk

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Inside sources. How does anyone ever find out about anything before it is announced by the team. You think a GM is the one calling Adam Schefter?

I would hope not but it was widely believed not known.

Pace and Fox publicly stated that Bennett was under contract for 1 more year when asked about his status. Again I believe he would have played this year with the Bears and we did not receive fair value but WTF do I know.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Pace created a need for a position in a weak draft class at the same time wasting a pick that is needed for a below average Defense with glaring holes to fill. Then he gives a pick away. Tsk tsk tsk

TE was a need before the trade because Bennett was in the last year of his contract and did not want to play on the Bears anymore.

If I call my boss and say that I hate the company and I am looking for a new job every hour of every day that I am not at work... is he creating a need by letting me go?

TomWaddle

Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post

That's not the right question. It should be: we have a player with one year remaining on his contract, has torched his bridge in Chicago and will never play another down for the Bears and everyone knows it, can we get anything for him at all?

This, like BM, was not a "market" deal, it was a fire-sale because the team had zero leverage once the league realized we were in a purge situation.

You both are right. Pace showed his hand and the other teams knew that the Bears were desperate to get something back for Bennett. Bad card playing by Pace:(

It's really not complicated fellas and it has nothing to do with Pace's card playing ability. Other team GM's and staff are paid lots and lots of $$$'s to know what's going on. Martellus Bennet and his antics are widely known... the media heavily covered his training camp body slam. They know his brother, etc... there's no hiding who he is.

It was no secret MB was on the trading block. If another team offered a 3rd or a better spot in the 4th... or 1 spot higher in the 4th Pace would have taken it. That's how these things work. The Patriots made the best offer. Plain and simple.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I would hope not but it was widely believed not known.

Pace and Fox publicly stated that Bennett was under contract for 1 more year when asked about his status. Again I believe he would have played this year with the Bears and we did not receive fair value but WTF do I know.

What would you expect them to say? "Martellus hates playing for the Bears because he realized that there is another TE that is pretty good and he is not a one man show. We are going to definitely cut him if we do not trade him before the draft. We hope to get a mid round pick for him. Hopefully, a team will be desperate enough to overpay for him and at the same time bad at negotiating since they can have him for free if they just wait another month."

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
TE was a need before the trade because Bennett was in the last year of his contract and did not want to play on the Bears anymore.

If I call my boss and say that I hate the company and I am looking for a new job every hour of every day that I am not at work... is he creating a need by letting me go?

Thats a stretch in the fact you are taking to an extreme. Bennett was not that vocal but if you were really good at your job and I fired you then yes I created a need.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
What would you expect them to say? "Martellus hates playing for the Bears because he realized that there is another TE that is pretty good and he is not a one man show. We are going to definitely cut him if we do not trade him before the draft. We hope to get a mid round pick for him. Hopefully, a team will be desperate enough to overpay for him and at the same time bad at negotiating since they can have him for free if they just wait another month."

I wouldn't say you get him for free. If that's the case why would the Pats trade if they KNEW he was getting cut.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say you get him for free. If that's the case why would the Pats trade if they KNEW he was getting cut.
Because you're guaranteed his services. If Bennett hits the market he's open to any and all. This type of scenario happens multiple times a year.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

There was a need anyway, as it has already been pointed out. The draft class is weak and the FA pool isn't deep. Still, MB didn't want to be on the team and the Bears didn't want him on the team either. So, it was time to move on. Pace gave away a 6th because he had an extras. A 4th could actually contribute this year and certainly be effective in the years after that.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

That is why we didn't get face value. He is good enough that if you really want him, you don't want to wait around for him to get cut and play the guessing game. But you don't want to overpay because there is a chance he could get cut.

If the Bears themselves say he will be released, it lowers the trade value even more.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
There was a need anyway, as it has already been pointed out. The draft class is weak and the FA pool isn't deep. Still, MB didn't want to be on the team and the Bears didn't want him on the team either. So, it was time to move on. Pace gave away a 6th because he had an extras. A 4th could actually contribute this year and certainly be effective in the years after that.

Then address it next year with a new class and the actual need.

There is a 0% gaurantee a backend draft pick will contribute this year or ever. We as Bears fans know this as fact. It would have been a gaurantee Bennett would have contributed if he suited up in a Bears uni in Sept.

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bennett was gonna be gone next year - I think everyone understood that. So the only way this was a bad move is if

1) the Bears were set to make a championship run this year and needed Bennett's talent for one more season

2) they could get more than a 4th back as a compensatory pick for losing him in FA next year

Both seem unlikely, so it looks like a good move to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Bennett was gonna be gone next year - I think everyone understood that. So the only way this was a bad move is if

1) the Bears were set to make a championship run this year and needed Bennett's talent for one more season

2) they could get more than a 4th back as a compensatory pick for losing him in FA next year

Both seem unlikely, so it looks like a good move to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get his services this year and receive a 5th rd comp next year. The 4th from the pats is essentially a early 5th rd pick anyway but you get the production from Bennett (in a contract yr) for one more season and keep the 6th rd pick.

I firmly believe we are trying to be a playoff team this season. However the Bears are worse today then they were two days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.