Micah Parsons

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Trading for a guy who was good was a mistake. Drafting a guy who was bad was not a mistake. Someone get this info to Poles pronto.
Never said Mack wasn’t good, but it’s hard to justify spending 2 first rounders on a DE when your QB was a question mark.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Unlikely. Issue was not so much Trubisky but the team around him. Mahomes struggles just as much in Chicago with the support system or lack there of that was in place.
I disagree with this. Mahomes wouldn't be a goat in 2018-2020, but I think we would have one a SB with him. We just needed a QB that could just not completely suck. Trubisky was missing wide open players for touchdowns.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The bears need a 3T who gets home/dominates the ‘B’ gap with consistency more than they need a guy who will cost more than the 27 year old edge rusher Poles just paid 98 million for.

Parsons is a luxury, and he’ll probably cost multiple 1sts, then on top of that you have to pay him a record setting deal, and now 2 DEs, as good as they are—cripple your cap and the bears fall back into the trap of JA, the end of Pace’s era, and most of my life where far too much salary is spent on defense while fans wonder why the bears can never seem to have a good offense since the era of black and white TV.
You know, I totally get the point on Parsons being the luxury get, and that the Bears need to be an offensive-oriented team. I even agree to an extent that the Bears should not push too hard on a trade for Parsons - this would clearly be a Pace move, which did blow up in his face and put a hard ceiling on how the rest of the team could improve. I just want to push back that this would cripple the team due to dollar amounts. I am using this website for reference to the salary totals, and am focusing on 2025-2028 dollars.

One key circumstance to consider is the length of the a Parsons contract - a four year that averages 35M/Y deal is not crippling to this franchise; 2/3 of that figure is coming off the books anyway should they not resign Keenan Allen, the rest comes off the books the following year if Edmunds gets cut a year early (which, for practical money reasons, is a probable event regardless of Parsons being on the team). The big negatives to focus on are that it would absolutely take multiple first round picks in trade to get him, and that there would be no more big free agent signings for two years (just my estimation of duration). This team would have 5 players with contracts around or above $20M in 2025 (counting Edmunds at 17.5M and the theoretical Parsons) which is only accomplishable because we are not paying our QB his market value until his 5th year under an option.

I agree that Poles has to look close, but every successful team is in this situation anyway, so it cannot be off the table: The Chiefs pay 40% of their salary totals to 4 players and had to play the money-shell-game to keep Jones on the team. That 5th year option that makes Williams (should he succeed) one of the top paid players isn't until 2028 - and at that point the only contract still paying out on this team is DJ Moore (with Odunze also possibly having his option exercised).

To that end, the only way this would be a franchise-crippling move is Poles can't draft well with the remaining draft picks, which would cripple the franchise anyway. Or if Williams is a bust, which would also set the team behind the 8-Ball and lead to Poles losing his job.

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Unlikely. Issue was not so much Trubisky but the team around him. Mahomes struggles just as much in Chicago with the support system or lack there of that was in place.

Who in the 2019 NFL Draft was going to elevate Mitch?

Is there enough offensive talent on this roster to safely say that Caleb is supported enough to become a superstar?

If he's got it, you push those 2025 assets in and go get yourself a HOF level talent at one of the most impactful spots on the defensive side of the ball.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mack was the reason 2018 was fun, or at least 70 percent of the reason why. That kind of HOF talent isn't traded often, and the risk was worth it.
Mack was da man. But honestly him without Hicks, or vice-versa, significantly reduced the other's effectiveness.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Mack was da man. But honestly him without Hicks, or vice-versa, significantly reduced the other's effectiveness.

Mack played through a lot too…seemed like he was constantly banged up after 18

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
People are missing out on the fact that 1st and 2nd round picks are where you look for impact playmakers... If the Bears trade for Parsons they will have all their playmakers accounted for the next 3-5 years...

Two WR: DJ & Rome
RB: Swift
QB: Caleb
Two Edge Rushers: Parsons & Sweat
CB: Jaylon & Tyrique

Basically it wouldn't matter that they don't have a 1st next year or the year after because they would already have the premium positions filled and would only need to fill in with role players.

The only places to worry would be the Oline and replacement DBs. Those can be found in later rounds easily as we have seen. On the other hand trying to find a star playmaker like Parsons outside of the top 10 picks is always like bobbing for apples.

*IF* Dallas is stupid enough to accept two #1's and Both of this year's #2's... Poles should immediately drive directly to Parson's house to pick him up like Lovie Smith for Julius Pepper.

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
For what it would likely cost in.picks and cap space I would still rather have Trey Hendrickson

Parsons is clearly the better player but as other posters are projecting, Parsons is likely going to command two first round picks and more cap space than the Bears have ever tied up in any player.

I do belive that the Bears could get Hendrickson for one of their 2025 Second round picks, a 2026 third round pick and Khalil Herbert and still get their 10 - 15 sack DE over the next 2 seasons.

That would still allow Poles to draft a true 3 TECHNIQUE that the defense currently needs and will still need come draft time.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
For what it would likely cost in.picks and cap space I would still rather have Trey Hendrickson

Parsons is clearly the better player but as other posters are projecting, Parsons is likely going to command two first round picks and more cap space than the Bears have ever tied up in any player.

I do belive that the Bears could get Hendrickson for one of their 2025 Second round picks, a 2026 third round pick and Khalil Herbert and still get their 10 - 15 sack DE over the next 2 seasons.

That would still allow Poles to draft a true 3 TECHNIQUE that the defense currently needs and will still need come draft time.

I would make that trade you proposed for a Hendrickson but don’t see it…the bengals would have to flop before trading Trey and I don’t think they take anything less than a 1st

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
2021 was the Bears chance and they fucked it up!! Just add it to the long list of “Chicago Bears only if’s”

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
If they put Parsons across from Sweat, they could play you at 3T and still harass the QB.

I do agree, the cost would be prohibitive.

A package of Stevenson (Bland is injured), Herbert (their RB room is awful), a 2025 1st, and a 2026 1st would be interesting.
While I’m flattered you’d give my old fat ass that much undeserved credit, the bears run an outdated defense predicated upon the 3T being an interior wrecker. (I think when the 49ers cut him, Poles did a disservice not getting Arik Armstead)

And while having 2 lights out DEs is theoretically tantalizing, remember; the results don’t equate to wins. Ask the Vikings how successful they were with Jared Allen and Everson Griffin were both getting lots of sack lunches in the early 2010s when Kevin/Pat Williams were toast and over the hill or retired and ‘just guys’ were plugged in at 3T. Spoiler: 10-6 was their best year (along with an 3-13) and they didnt make the postseason.

So the notion, even with 2 outstanding DEs, that anybody can play 3T is foolish. After acquiring Sweat, Gervon Dexter couldn’t get home when he was in 1 on 1 situations.

That trade package makes me cringe.

So Tez Sweat gets 98 mil to not be “their” 10-15 sack DE over the next 2 seasons?

What was the point of making him the 3rd highest paid edge rusher (behind Watt and Garrett) in the NFL then?

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
But in this case we also have Sweat so though he's not an interior lineman, it still helps Parson's ability to cause havoc.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Never said Mack wasn’t good, but it’s hard to justify spending 2 first rounders on a DE when your QB was a question mark.
No it isnt. You dont really draft a QB 2nd if you think he is a question mark. Any GM that thinks like that probably isnt survimg at GM.

Same stuff was said trading for Sweat albeit at less comp. It is silly. These guys have to have conviction on the big moves they make.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fun fact the Bears essentially got 3.5 years of Mack and 2 seconds for 2 firsts. Raiders 2 firsts were Jacobs and Arnette. Bears 2 2nds were Kmet and Brisker.

So in the end it was Jacobs, Arnette for 3.5 years of Mack, Kmet and Brisker. Bears win that trade easily.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Fun fact the Bears essentially got 3.5 years of Mack and 2 seconds for 2 firsts. Raiders 2 firsts were Jacobs and Arnette. Bears 2 2nds were Kmet and Brisker.

So in the end it was Jacobs, Arnette for 3.5 years of Mack, Kmet and Brisker. Bears win that trade easily.

Ironically, if the bears didn’t make the trade, they could have selected Montez sweat in 19….or deebo/metcalf/AJ brown

In 2020, they could have selected wirfs, Justin Jefferson, or ceedee lamb , so I’m not sure the bears won easily. If you compare it to what the raiders did, maybe…but I never like judging those moves based on what another team did…doesn’t mean the bears would have done the same…the raiders definitely botched those picks and left a ton of value out there

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Ironically, if the bears didn’t make the trade, they could have selected Montez sweat in 19….or deebo/metcalf/AJ brown

In 2020, they could have selected wirfs, Justin Jefferson, or ceedee lamb , so I’m not sure the bears win easily. If you compare it to what the raiders did, maybe…but I never like basing those moves on what another team did…doesn’t mean the bears would have done the same…the raiders definitely botched those picks and left a ton of value out there
I kind of agree with this. It really doesn't matter what the other team (Raiders) did, it just matters what the Bears did. FTR, both teams can lose a trade and both can also win a trade. It's not always either/or.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

In 2020, they could have selected wirfs, Justin Jefferson, or ceedee lamb , so I’m not sure the bears won easily. If you compare it to what the raiders did, maybe…but I never like judging those moves based on what another team did…doesn’t mean the bears would have done the same…the raiders definitely botched those picks and left a ton of value out there

And the Bears would NEVER do that right?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
And the Bears would NEVER do that right?

Of course they have…but they’ve also made some good ones…we’ll never know what they would have done…I just don’t like judging a trade based on the selections the other team made. I think you have to look at the players that were on the board and the overall value available more so than whatever players the other team selected.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Sure but you also can't judge just by the good guys. They could have also ended up with Jalen Reagor who went ahead of Jefferson. Or Tiller or Collier instead of Sweat. Of course they also could have lost more games without Mack amd drafted even higher.

Either way you are going to be hard pressed to on average get more value than 3.5 years of Mack, Kmet and Brisker than the 2 firsts unless you assume a 100% hit rate.