Must win for Cutler to remain a Bear

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Call me what you want, I am a level headed truthful poster.

Yes you sure are. A few posts above you take away from Joshperformances because of those bad D's, yet Jay's game vs the Eagles somehow doesn't measure up to the same critic.

Stop thinking you're better than most, that would be a real good place to start in the new year, good luck.

Also please stop responding to me, ever since you told me how my opinions aggravate you, I worry about your health.

Thanks.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Athough he has not just stared down Marshall this year... he sometimes stares down Jeffrey or Bennett.... That has always been a large part of my gripe about cutler.
Bad decision making, bad vision, and desire to go for everything in one shot happens WAY too often for my taste and can kill a game via turnovers.
The lack of desire to take what the defense gives him leads to many of the hits and sacks he suffers as well.
He also has not been very successful finding the favorable matchup in a blitz.

None of this is new. None of this will likely change.

I have not seen an improvement in those tendencies this year.
His results are SLIGHTLY improved, but honestly the addition of Bennett and emergence of Jeffrey are big enough factors to account for the improvement in results.

I have been a "move on from cutler guy" for a long time, but I honestly believe that if I had been a cutler supporter or fence sitter, watching McCown thrive here would have pushed me over the edge.
McCown played the most basic game he could, played as safely as he could, and the offensive playmakers around him thrived as a result.
If McCown can come in and do what he did given his lack of overall talents, I have no doubt in my mind that a talented rookie could step in and do that same to start with a much higher ceiling.

At the end of the day, Fixing Cutler is illogical. The best case scenario is to tame Cutler down, teach him how to progress through his reads, and stop making the risky shots downfield.... the end result, if successful, would be a QB that may in fact be a lesser version of McCown.

His aggressiveness that allows the occasional big play is inextricably tied to his turnovers, take away one and you will lose the other.
His decision making is not as quick as McCown it seems, and he is missing some of the little talents McCown has such as looking off the safety, cycling through his reads, being elusive in the pocket without rolling out, and selling a pump fake..... that just isn't Cutlers style.

As you said, Jay is Jay. 8 years tells us he is not going to change the up and down play, and tearing him down, chipping away at his game and making him McCown 2.0 is senseless when we have a coach that likely could teach a talented, less injured rookie to be the same thing.

The choice is crystal clear- 1- The Bears live and die with Cutlers up and down play, hoping to get a Eli manning-like streak in the playoffs.
2- Cut the losses and let Trestman draft and create a new player.... something he is purported to be good at.

The option everyone was hoping for- Cutler maintaining his big play ability AND cutting down the turnovers- is just not realistic.

We can all agree on exactly what he is for the most part. The likelyhood of that changing is slim to none (enough of the "lets give him another year in the system and see" is false hope... McCown hit his ceiling immediately and Cutler should have as well).
So do we break the bank or commit long term to someone who will likely produce at the same level he always has with the negative of being injury prone?

I would rather go with a draft pick, believe that Trestman can make him functional at the McCown level at least, and hope that he grows from there.

I think it is clear enough that Cutlers ceiling has been reached, and it isn't high enough to tie the team to it long term, especially when you factor in the injury concern.

Excellent post airtime, I agree on nearly all of your points. It's unfortunate that we couldn't see Cutler un der center the whole season, but I'm not sure anything would have been much different. It's the first time we have had a well rounded offense in years and we still see the same bad habbits honestly. We all hoped trestman could change Jay's decision making and some bad habbits but it has not gone far enough. A couple years ago we had a defense good enough to win with Cutler, now that isn't true. It's unfortunate but it's clear the QB problems are going to continue in Chicago.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Yes you sure are. A few posts above you take away from Joshperformances because of those bad D's, yet Jay's game vs the Eagles somehow doesn't measure up to the same critic.

Stop thinking you're better than most, that would be a real good place to start in the new year, good luck.

Also please stop responding to me, ever since you told me how my opinions aggravate you, I worry about your health.

Thanks.
The fact, is that you and a couple of others around here blame every loss on Cutler(even a couple traditionally good posters like bearmick), when that isn't necessarily the case. It does not matter what happens in the game you blame one guy in spite of the actual facts. So it's impossible to carry on a reasonable conversation with you. I don't blame Cutler OR McCown when we lose and it's not their fault. If the opposing team offense puts up 45 points and Bears put up 42, you would blame Cutler regardless of his performance, period.

Because McCown did play bad defenses, and yes Philly is bad as well but we went in a hole fast and the oline played like shit. Yes it was a shit performance from Cutler. What I am saying is that the performances we see from McCown may not be the norm. McCown IS NOT the future here. At most he would be a quick bridge or bandaid. I disagree with you about most things, but trust me, I don't let you effect my health.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact, is that you and a couple of others around here blame every loss on Cutler, when that isn't necessarily the case. It does not matter what happens in the game you blame one guy in spite of the actual facts. So it's impossible to carry on a reasonable conversation with you. I don't blame Cutler OR McCown when we lose and it's not their fault. If the opposing team offense puts up 45 points and Bears put up 42, you would blame Cutler, period.

Because McCown did play bad defenses, and yes Philly is bad as well but we went in a hole fast and the oline played like shit. Yes it was a shit performance from Cutler. What I am saying is that the performances we see from McCown may not be the norm. McCown IS NOT the future here. At most he would be a quick bridge or bandaid. I disagree with you about most things, but trust me, I don't let you effect my health.

Yet my opinions aggravate you, lol

I have asked you at least 10 times to stop responding to me, I'm not interested in talking with you whatsoever, thanks.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Yet my opinions aggravate you, lol

I have asked you at least 10 times to stop responding to me, I'm not interested in talking with you whatsoever, thanks.

Then stop responding to me, I don't take orders from you. I will respond to whatever I want on here. Sometimes Spartan's posts aggravate me at times but Spartan doesn't give a shit and nor do I, I like the guy. Stop being a pussy.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then stop responding to me, I don't take orders from you. I will respond to whatever I want on here. Sometimes Spartan's posts aggravate me at times but Spartan doesn't give a shit and nor do I, I like the guy. Stop being a pussy.

Do it for you health Jester. I don't talk to or hang out with characters like yourself.

PS - Spartan lives for that shit, I actually come here to talk about football with my fellow Bears fan. If ever you decide to do the same, I could possibly change my mind.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Do it for you health Jester. I don't talk to or hang out with characters like yourself.

PS - Spartan lives for that shit, I actually come here to talk about football with my fellow Bears fan. If ever you decide to do the same, I could possibly change my mind.

Like I said, you don't impact my health, so no worries. I don't care who you hang out with. You need to relax a bit if anyone does, lol. :beer:

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Excellent post airtime, I agree on nearly all of your points. It's unfortunate that we couldn't see Cutler un der center the whole season, but I'm not sure anything would have been much different. It's the first time we have had a well rounded offense in years and we still see the same bad habbits honestly. We all hoped trestman could change Jay's decision making and some bad habbits but it has not gone far enough. A couple years ago we had a defense good enough to win with Cutler, now that isn't true. It's unfortunate but it's clear the QB problems are going to continue in Chicago.

Who knows, maybe a complete year might have shown a maturity process... I was not a big detractor as far as injuries went prior to this season, but it really is becoming alarming this year.

The point about the defense being good enough to win a couple years back is a sore spot- those years the bad version of jay was very costly (it wasn't all on him, but the green bay games of course are going to stand out as winable games that we lost by horrid mistakes). We had a spectacular D that deserved more.

For frame of reference, the desire to move on from cutler on my part is really enhanced by the indecision that plagued this team in 07-08... the 08 season was just unforgivable insanity.... there was no reason in the world why they should given Grossman and orton each one year deals.... I was on board with flipping a coin to see which one to cut and drafting a guy at that point.

It gets tiresome having the whole "it might be good enough if things go right" mentality.
More important, I dont want to look back in 2015 or 16 and say "too bad we didn't try to make a move".

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
First Ciutler needed an oline, then he needed receivers, then he needed a decent o coach, now he needs a good defense.......when is Cutler ever going to strap this team on his back and carry them on his own.....I suspect never because he is nothing more than an average QB.......and when he is in games that are big he tends to be way less then average.

Butkusrules

Liked Posts:
Insane

That's the way I see it, how about you?

Look at everyone's every individual performance statistic on the team. Cutler is near the top. He is not the reason the team isn't winning. If cutlers job was to draft players or coach the defense your question might make sense. As it stands now, your question just shows an illogical bias against a specific player. Such a waste of time to talk about Cutler as though he is the problem.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
First Ciutler needed an oline, then he needed receivers, then he needed a decent o coach, now he needs a good defense.......when is Cutler ever going to strap this team on his back and carry them on his own.....I suspect never because he is nothing more than an average QB.......and when he is in games that are big he tends to be way less then average.

Yeah QBs in general need to have tools around them. No QB is going to carry an entire team, get real man. Peyton Manning has come about as close to carrying a whole team as you can get and he may be the best QB to ever play. If you think we are going to simply cut Cutler and go out and get a Peyton Manning, keep dreaming.

Butkusrules

Liked Posts:
How is cutler going to strap a team on his back when the defense doesn't not even function, ridiculous expectations. How are Eli manning or Phillip rivers doing with bad
teams? Why isn't lance Briggs strapping this tam on his back and winning games. Why, because it's a team game no matter how good one player is.

Butkusrules

Liked Posts:
How is cutler going to strap a team on his back when the defense doesn't not even function, ridiculous expectations. How are Eli manning or Phillip rivers doing with bad
teams? Why isn't lance Briggs strapping this tam on his back and winning games. Why, because it's a team game no matter how good one player is.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Who knows, maybe a complete year might have shown a maturity process... I was not a big detractor as far as injuries went prior to this season, but it really is becoming alarming this year.

The point about the defense being good enough to win a couple years back is a sore spot- those years the bad version of jay was very costly (it wasn't all on him, but the green bay games of course are going to stand out as winable games that we lost by horrid mistakes). We had a spectacular D that deserved more.

For frame of reference, the desire to move on from cutler on my part is really enhanced by the indecision that plagued this team in 07-08... the 08 season was just unforgivable insanity.... there was no reason in the world why they should given Grossman and orton each one year deals.... I was on board with flipping a coin to see which one to cut and drafting a guy at that point.

It gets tiresome having the whole "it might be good enough if things go right" mentality.
More important, I dont want to look back in 2015 or 16 and say "too bad we didn't try to make a move".

Our team on offense really started an all around collapse, that's for sure. It was all a thanks to Angelo and completely missing in the draft on O especially the Oline. Just think, we had a shitty Oline and Earl Bennett, Hester, and Knox as our WR group....WOW. What we needed was draft picks and someone who could actually draft Oline so we could build from the trenches up. Matt Forte was the only bright spot we had for a couple of years.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rivers is actually having a pretty good year and beat the Broncos. You're correct about Eli though, he needs a running game to help him out.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do have one question Jester, as a Bears fan, what's the point of your sig.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Look at everyone's every individual performance statistic on the team. Cutler is near the top. He is not the reason the team isn't winning. If cutlers job was to draft players or coach the defense your question might make sense. As it stands now, your question just shows an illogical bias against a specific player. Such a waste of time to talk about Cutler as though he is the problem.

Seriously? He hasn't even been the best quarterback. Cutler isn't "the" problem, but he is a problem.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I do have one question Jester, as a Bears fan, what's the point of your sig.

That run was a summary of the game in one play. Weak and showed little effort, Matt played like shit for one of the stars on the offense. I expect more from him. Matt is TERRIBLE in short yardage situations and breaking tackles, especially for a 220 lbs RB. It's hard to see such a big guy go down with such little contact.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That run was a summary of the game in one play. Weak and showed little effort, Matt played like shit for one of the stars on the offense. I expect more from him. Matt is TERRIBLE in short yardage situations and breaking tackles, especially for a 220 lbs RB. It's hard to see such a big guy go down with such little contact.

The defender almost took the hand off himself.

Did Jay play like shit too?

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
The defender almost took the hand off himself.

Did Jay play like shit too?

Forte went down getting his leg tapped by ONE HAND.

Yes Jay played like shit, everyone except AJ and MB did. I know you are one of the big Forte vs Cutler goofballs on this forum but I am not. Even Forte said he had a terrible game in the postgame, he admitted to giving up two sacks as well. The oline was terrible as well, which didn't help Cutler OR Forte in that game. Do you see it differently?