My gut feeling is this is a shitty draft class

msadows

Liked Posts:
Or maybe Poles agrees which is why he traded our 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks for vets.

Its pretty much universally agreed by "experts" that this draft is loaded in the top 15 with talent, and after the 4th round takes a massive nosedive.

Makes sense, because of NIL money and the transfer portal plenty of draft eligible players will decide to stick around in college for another year.,

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Its pretty much universally agreed by "experts" that this draft is loaded in the top 15 with talent, and after the 4th round takes a massive nosedive.

Makes sense, because of NIL money and the transfer portal plenty of draft eligible players will decide to stick around in college for another year.,
Are those the same "experts" that thought Justin Fields was worth a first round pick in trade?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Or maybe Poles agrees which is why he traded our 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks for vets.
This is a really fair point - though I think that the late round picks are just a different calculus. That 2nd round pick netted a starter that we expect 5 years of productive play. Typically, a "win" in the second round would get you the same thing for 8 years (or two contracts).

Those later round picks? I don't think that 6th and 7th round picks should be considered here, because those guys make the practice squad and move around the league before disappearing most of the time.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Yes i pay attention to what's being said. Poles is not a fantasy "expert" like the "experts" we follow are.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Real question for all the non burger flippers in here(Daniel sit down fatboi)

How many day 3 picks do you guys think actually succeed in the NFL in a draft?

The number is always very low.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is a really fair point - though I think that the late round picks are just a different calculus. That 2nd round pick netted a starter that we expect 5 years of productive play. Typically, a "win" in the second round would get you the same thing for 8 years (or two contracts).

Those later round picks? I don't think that 6th and 7th round picks should be considered here, because those guys make the practice squad and move around the league before disappearing most of the time.
Agree, just wanted to say that we've traded 5 draft picks for vets but don't think the 6th (Feeney) or 7th (N.Harry) have anything to do with if Poles actually thought this was a weak draft class a year and two ago. That's if any of them had anything to do with Poles thinking this class was going to be weak.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Real question for all the non burger flippers in here(Daniel sit down fatboi)

How many day 3 picks do you guys think actually succeed in the NFL in a draft?

The number is always very low.
Depends on what you think succeeding is? Is it just making the 53 man squad or do they have to be a starter or even making the practice squad since you're talking about rounds 3 thru 7?

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Agree, just wanted to say that we've traded 5 draft picks for vets but don't think the 6th (Feeney) or 7th (N.Harry) have anything to do with if Poles actually thought this was a weak draft class a year and two ago. That's if any of them had anything to do with Poles thinking this class was going to be weak.
Let's bring that one step further - Harry may have washed out, but he was a former first-round pick. Trading a 7th rounder to give a guy with day-1 talent a second chance with a change of scenery sounds perfectly normal in this league. You expect plenty of guys you would draft in the 7th round to flip burgers in three years' time.

That 6th for Feeney? Yeah, this team rotated centers last year like the ol' QB Carousel. I will be glad to see that position cemented, but a 6th rounder for some security in that position does not strike me as odd at all.

But 2nd rounders, those are ones that he should be stingy with. You expect a guy who will compete to start. Stevenson showed us this year what this defense can do with the right rookie in the right place. Thankfully, Poles got a guy who will start, and makes our defense more competitive with that pick. OP's original premise is that this draft is not loaded with top-DE talent; well, Poles used his second rounder to grab one who is shown to be worth his game check.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Lol Do you even hear yourself?

Just because there are players that are going to be drafted doesn't mean those players are any good.

It's the NFL Draft guys are GOING to be drafted that's the entire. The question is whether the guys drafted will be any good. All you've said thus far is the best players in this draft are going to be drafted first...... Duh.

Maybe try a little reflection about whether these players are actually any good.

Not at all surprised that you're the one most triggered by this I fully expected you to have the biggest reaction and here we are.

Let's try this again tell me why the players in this draft are better than players from previous drafts. Please show me how and why the overall talent coming out of college is better or as good. Please make an argument that the overall talent level in college football isn't worse and getting worse by the year.

Here I'll start to make my case View attachment 37550
Please please please give us the breakdown of how this years OL and edge classes stack up compared to last years!

Or is all you can provide this ‘gut’ feeling?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Allen comes of the books after 2024..... Do you want to extend a 33 year old WR asking for the money he is? Do you think it would be more economical to trade for another young WR who is headed towards the prime of his career versus the back end of his career like Allen is?

If Odunze is gone do you really want to invest in Ola the offensive tackle from Penn State who is the 4th best OT on the PFF big board?

My guess is you want to draft one of these below average edge rushers in the Top-10?

Maybe instead of just reacting to something that I post that you disagree with you can actually think about the point I've made.

My point is that Poles isn't going to waste capital trading for a guy he has to extend to huge money when he has DJ close to an extension as well.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Depends on what you think succeeding is? Is it just making the 53 man squad or do they have to be a starter or even making the practice squad since you're talking about rounds 3 thru 7?

Most players drafted after the 4th round I'd guess are out of the nfl by year 3.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Please please please give us the breakdown of how this years OL and edge classes stack up compared to last years!

Or is all you can provide this ‘gut’ feeling?

That would require actual work, so no, he wont give you that.

I doubt he's even watched tape on the current bears OL and edge rushers, much less the guys in the draft.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
That would require actual work, so no, he wont give you that.

I doubt he's even watched tape on the current bears OL and edge rushers, much less the guys in the draft.
Oh I’m not expecting that but he could just write out the names and explain very briefly why it’s worse

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
My point is that Poles isn't going to waste capital trading for a guy he has to extend to huge money when he has DJ close to an extension as well.
I wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand. It could very well be that, like in Seattle last year, this is a team that starts a really good vet and a young star WR, that drafts their #3 in the first round. In two-year's time, you intend that first round WR will be a star #2, and is your star #1 three or four years after that.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
There will be very good to great edge rushers and d linemen who come out of this draft (and receivers & o linemen), so I never really buy the weak class/strong class stuff. But I understand where you’re coming from.