**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
Have to disagree. When you have 100 million in cap space, it's fair to expect some exceptional players, especially onthe O and D lines where the need was greatest. . As for the draft, the Bears have pick 9 in round one and then no picks pick until 51, I think. So getting difference makers in the draft will be tough.

I would have liked Dre'Mont Jones, but I don't know if he is "exceptional". Very good player and would have been a big upgrade but free agency is a two way street. I really like Demarcus Walker. He had 7 sacks and most of the were from the DT position. They got a solid Nose Tackle today. Otherwise, the edge rushers were very weak, no one I had any interest in personally. Converse the draft is stacked with edge rushers.

Like I said, I like McGlinchey/McGary but both of them are pretty mediocre pass.blockers. I don't think they were really upgrades in that regard.

As far as the draft, if there's a guy like Kalijah Cancey in the 20's they really like, they can move up. Maybe swap one of next years picks? They have draft capital to work with for the first time in a long time.

We shall see how it all works out, but I am happy so far. Long way to go still.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It's a good list.

Poles is doing what I hoped he would. It's the smart play. He is adding value starters (think players on the level of when Pace signed Prince Amukamara and how well that turned out) to team friendly deals.

The idea here is to raise the overall "floor" of the Bears by having a baseline of competency.

That way, rather than being locked into a need, come draft time they will take BPA and count on the draft for their long term guys.

At the same time, by targeting young players, Poles is allowing himself the opportunity to be surprised by them, and if they deliver, he can then lock them into a longer term deal.

He's playing this whole thing exactly right....

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's a good list.

Poles is doing what I hoped he would. It's the smart play. He is adding value starters (think players on the level of when Pace signed Prince Amukamara and how well that turned out) to team friendly deals.

The idea here is to raise the overall "floor" of the Bears by having a baseline of competency.

That way, rather than being locked into a need, come draft time they will take BPA and count on the draft for their long term guys.

At the same time, by targeting young players, Poles is allowing himself the opportunity to be surprised by them, and if they deliver, he can then lock them into a longer term deal.

He's playing this whole thing exactly right....
It’s the same thing pace did except pace missed on all his picks and traded them away. Remains to be seen if Poles can draft yet

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope.

Signing a rb to a one year deal does nothing to inhibit us drafting Bijan Robinson.

If anything, Foreman was part of the 1-2 combo with CMC back in Carolina, last I checked. So, Poles is doing it right. He’s making sure he doesn’t have to draft a NT, a C, a TE, or a RB.

Now, why anyone wouldn’t want the most explosive, dynamic offensive player in the draft that is also a sure fire hit is beyond me. Oh, positional value and maths and some shit.
Bijan "not a scheme fit"

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You’re saying you NEVER wanted the bears to attempt to sign or sign any exceptional players? Not even on DL??
The problem is there really wasn’t any exceptional players available this free agency period. A lot of decent players but nobody with breaking the bank for

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It’s the same thing pace did except pace missed on all his picks and traded them away. Remains to be seen if Poles can draft yet

Yep - that's really what it comes down to. Pace actually had it right when it comes down to the blueprint. The issue was Pace had severe issues with identifying what Poles would call "Blue" talent, i.e. future pro bowlers and difference makers, identifying the same with coaching, and he had Mickey Loomis as his blueprint for contracts.

It meant the Bears couldn't get enough upper echelon talent consistently, were poorly coached, and once they were out of the first phase, we ended up in salary cap hell.

Based on what I have seen thus far, I really believe Poles is better than Pace on the last 2 items, but really its going to come down to now talent evaluation in the draft, as you correctly pointed out.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
People are trying so fucking hard to pretend like we're being introduced into next gen general managing.

Look what we've had in town - I don't think many Bears fans know enough to know that how Poles is doing it (and how Pace tried but failed to do it) is just the way it's supposed to be done.

Reminds me of the old cartoon when the Bears traded for Cutler of a knuckle-dragging Bears fan saying "Quarter..mack?" and Angelo telling Cutler "Don't mind them Jay, they've never seen a quarterback before."

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
DT/RT at #9 IMO.

Has to be an edge rusher in my opinion. Myles Murphy and Tyree Wilson seem to fit what the Bears want. You don't need to spend a top 10 pick to get a right tackle. Unless Carter falls and the Bears think he's worth the risk. But it seems like he's got a lot of question marks. The biggest need is without question DE.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
No one thinks Robinson is the best player in the draft though. The best OT or 2nd best pash rusher might be there though if 4 QBs go ahead of us.
Really? Did you really say that NOBODY thinks he is the best. Check that. Please do.

He and Anderson are the consensus top 2, with many scouts stating it’s Bijan.

Robinson is potentially the best player in the 2023 NFL Draft, and pro teams think he has rare ability and superstar potential

So, excuse me for calling out weak ass group think that would rather have the second or third best of something and claim value when they could have the elite best of a thing.

Last edited:

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Bijan "not a scheme fit"
Now you’re just being a cantankerous fucking idiot.

Robinson can be a one-cut downhill zone-rushing runner or function in a man-blocking scheme who can create on his own.

I know you’re being a fucking dumbass clown of a troll, but, should your dumbass be capable of reading, peep the quote above about him working in a scheme. So, don’t get your skivvies in a bunch because you’re too fucking obtuse to understand scheme and get all triggered because Poles didn’t sign the dude you wanted.

1679026681455.jpeg

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now you’re just being a cantankerous fucking idiot.

I know you’re being a fucking dumbass clown of a troll, but, should your dumbass be capable of reading, peep the quote above about him working in a scheme. So, don’t get your skivvies in a bunch because you’re too fucking obtuse to understand scheme and get all triggered because Poles didn’t sign the dude you wanted.

View attachment 27414
#triggered. Oh my. LMAO

Rise

Liked Posts:
Reading people talking themselves out of free agency is just hilarious. Orlando Brown Jr should be a Bear, fuck the “scheme”. That contract makes me sick. He was the best tackle available and that is what Fields needs, real oline talent.

No other non move really upsets me, and Poles has made some good value signings. Would I have liked to see one of those centers and a DT yes but they aren’t anything to care about long term.