**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Reading people talking themselves out of free agency is just hilarious. Orlando Brown Jr should be a Bear, fuck the “scheme”. That contract makes me sick. He was the best tackle available and that is what Fields needs, real oline talent.

No other non move really upsets me, and Poles has made some good value signings. Would I have liked to see one of those centers and a DT yes but they aren’t anything to care about long term.
Just say you don't understand that teams run different schemes and be done with already!

The Bears are looking for guys who can move in space, not guys who are fortresses.

Orlando Brown Jr is good if used properly. He's no more a fit for this OL than he is for the WR room, but no matter how many football people tell you that, you refuse to listen.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Just say you don't understand that teams run different schemes and be done with already!

The Bears are looking for guys who can move in space, not guys who are fortresses.

Orlando Brown Jr is good if used properly. He's no more a fit for this OL than he is for the WR room, but no matter how many football people tell you that, you refuse to listen.

You’re talking about 3-5 plays a game where he would be asked to pull. It’s ridiculous the bears oline is horrible and this 4x pro bowler wouldn’t start on it? Good enough for Lamar, Mahomes, burrow but he don’t fit here in the vaunted bears scheme, it’s a joke.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
It's a good list.

Poles is doing what I hoped he would. It's the smart play. He is adding value starters (think players on the level of when Pace signed Prince Amukamara and how well that turned out) to team friendly deals.

The idea here is to raise the overall "floor" of the Bears by having a baseline of competency.

That way, rather than being locked into a need, come draft time they will take BPA and count on the draft for their long term guys.

At the same time, by targeting young players, Poles is allowing himself the opportunity to be surprised by them, and if they deliver, he can then lock them into a longer term deal.

He's playing this whole thing exactly right....
Correct. Plus make it easier next year I’m in FA and the draft. Gotta build the full team no matter what and it ain’t going to happen in one year. But if you can pick up good players that are either starters or good back ups, then that makes the draft and free agency easier next year.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Look what we've had in town - I don't think many Bears fans know enough to know that how Poles is doing it (and how Pace tried but failed to do it) is just the way it's supposed to be done.

Reminds me of the old cartoon when the Bears traded for Cutler of a knuckle-dragging Bears fan saying "Quarter..mack?" and Angelo telling Cutler "Don't mind them Jay, they've never seen a quarterback before."
First off lets all acknowledge that you just replied to me and that I'm not on ignore(never was).

There is no way it's supposed to be done. If GMs draft well and hires good coaches then everything falls into place. To act like this guy is doing things the right way because he's not giving a lot of money to premium position players is just you trying to rationalize it all and convince yourself to feel like the Bears finally got it right.

Bears fans are so shell shook from Ryan Pace that they think a GM cant overspend on a player. Wait until people realize every GM does it. Better yet, wait until everyone realizes Poles already did with Edmunds(money) and Claypool(draft pick). They would have been much better off overpaying for lineman than a LB. I think a lot of people here know it and wont admit it. You want to talk about the floor of a team? Starting level lineman get you there, not LBs.

It's always the same cycle with Bears fans. Loves everything the new GM says and does and conveniently forgets that its a lot of the same shit the guy before him said and did. Every move is right. Every non-move is right. You want to optimistic and regurgitate what DBB tells you, fine, its a free country but please don't act like Poles is of GM Mandalore and there's "a way". Sorry but when you badly need OL and DL and you give 50M to a LB, you have not played an off-season to perfection.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Correct. Plus make it easier next year I’m in FA and the draft. Gotta build the full team no matter what and it ain’t going to happen in one year. But if you can pick up good players that are either starters or good back ups, then that makes the draft and free agency easier next year.
Thanks Scott Pioli.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
You’re talking about 3-5 plays a game where he would be asked to pull. It’s ridiculous the bears oline is horrible and this 4x pro bowler wouldn’t start on it? Good enough for Lamar, Mahomes, burrow but he don’t fit here in the vaunted bears scheme, it’s a joke.

He's not a great pass blocker and he doesn't fit the Bears scheme. An outside zone offense needs mobile lineman. It's not just 3-5 plays, it's potentially any run play, not to mention screen plays.It's not that hard to understand. Some players can play in any scheme and excel. Brown isn't one of those guys. That's why his market was so lukewarm.

Also worth noting that neither the Ravens nor Chiefs had any problem moving on from him. Elite left tackles rarely change teams during their prime. Those guys are like gold. Brown is a good player, but scheme fit matters wether you believe so or not.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
First off lets all acknowledge that you just replied to me and that I'm not on ignore(never was).

There is no way it's supposed to be done. If GMs draft well and hires good coaches then everything falls into place. To act like this guy is doing things the right way because he's not giving a lot of money to premium position players is just you trying to rationalize it all and convince yourself to feel like the Bears finally got it right.

Bears fans are so shell shook from Ryan Pace that they think a GM cant overspend on a player. Wait until people realize every GM does it. Better yet, wait until everyone realizes Poles already did with Edmunds(money) and Claypool(draft pick). They would have been much better off overpaying for lineman than a LB. I think a lot of people here know it and wont admit it. You want to talk about the floor of a team? Starting level lineman get you there, not LBs.

It's always the same cycle with Bears fans. Loves everything the new GM says and does and conveniently forgets that its a lot of the same shit the guy before him said and did. Every move is right. Every non-move is right. You want to optimistic and regurgitate what DBB tells you, fine, its a free country but please don't act like Poles is of GM Mandalore and there's "a way". Sorry but when you badly need OL and DL and you give 50M to a LB, you have not played an off-season to perfection.

He traded for a very good receiver, He's signed a quality guard, two good defensive lineman and two very good linebackers. I'm not sure why you just dismiss linebacker(I guess it doesn't fit with your negative narrative?) but the Bears linebacker play was atrocious last year. Now it's a strength. Draft a stud edge rusher at 9 and suddenly your front seven is looking very good.

The o-line obviously had plenty of issues last year, but right now they have four solid o-lineman. Jones got better and better as the year went on. He has all the tools needed to be a good LT. They really just need a Right Tackle. I don't think things are as dire as you think. If that makes me crazy or stupid in your mind, so be it, but I would point out that what you seem to think is some kind of group denial is generally refered to as being a fan. If anything, you're the one insisting there is a " right way" because you have decided what Poles is doing isn't the right way. None of us will know until the games are played.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It actually makes sense. If there is a QB available at 9, some teams will at least call about moving up. If the Bears decide that they do not want Robinson, they can take calls to trade down for another team to draft Robinson.

Now, will a team be willing to move up for Robinson, if he is still around? Who knows, but it only takes one team to fall in love with him.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Have to disagree. When you have 100 million in cap space, it's fair to expect some exceptional players, especially onthe O and D lines where the need was greatest. . As for the draft, the Bears have pick 9 in round one and then no picks pick until 51, I think. So getting difference makers in the draft will be tough.
Name the exceptional players ... who fit the Bears scheme.

Orlando Brown Jr

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I mean you would think someone who was paid to be a scout would follow more closely before farting off on twitter
What?

Are you going to tell me when Poles signed some unknown free agent, you didn't go to youtube to watch some highlights?

The only difference is that you might not have the all 22 for the Panthers, the patience and the eyes of a scout to go over his film.

I can assure you that a retired scout is not going to look at every single player in college nor in the NFL. He will only look at players he is paid to scout or at players he is personally interested in.

I am guessing Gabriel would do the same.

napo55

Liked Posts:
He traded for a very good receiver, He's signed a quality guard, two good defensive lineman and two very good linebackers. I'm not sure why you just dismiss linebacker(I guess it doesn't fit with your negative narrative?) but the Bears linebacker play was atrocious last year. Now it's a strength. Draft a stud edge rusher at 9 and suddenly your front seven is looking very good.

The o-line obviously had plenty of issues last year, but right now they have four solid o-lineman. Jones got better and better as the year went on. He has all the tools needed to be a good LT. They really just need a Right Tackle. I don't think things are as dire as you think. If that makes me crazy or stupid in your mind, so be it, but I would point out that what you seem to think is some kind of group denial is generally refered to as being a fan. If anything, you're the one insisting there is a " right way" because you have decided what Poles is doing isn't the right way. None of us will know until the games are played.
Most people (outside of the CCS bubble) understand that Roquan Smith is a better player than Edmunds. So it's doubtful that the linbacker group is that much better.
The O line was terrible. It remains to be seen what will happen in the draft. Hopefully an OT with #9 and a promising interior lineman/center with one of the low picks in the second round. If that happens, there will be good reason for optimism re the O line--although the new players will have to show up and perform. It would be nice to see Fields not have to run for his life on every play.

So it's too early to say Poles is a failure or success. His ability to evaluate talent in the draft will be key. At this point it's an unknown.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Nope.

Signing a rb to a one year deal does nothing to inhibit us drafting Bijan Robinson.

If anything, Foreman was part of the 1-2 combo with CMC back in Carolina, last I checked. So, Poles is doing it right. He’s making sure he doesn’t have to draft a NT, a C, a TE, or a RB.

Now, why anyone wouldn’t want the most explosive, dynamic offensive player in the draft that is also a sure fire hit is beyond me. Oh, positional value and maths and some shit.
I am torn on this one. He sure seems fun, but the Bears have some many needs in the trenches.

I will be ok if their top pick is Robinson or someone very good in the trenches, for what it's worth.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What?

Are you going to tell me when Poles signed some unknown free agent, you didn't go to youtube to watch some highlights?

The only difference is that you might not have the all 22 for the Panthers, the patience and the eyes of a scout to go over his film.

I can assure you that a retired scout is not going to look at every single player in college nor in the NFL. He will only look at players he is paid to scout or at players he is personally interested in.

I am guessing Gabriel would do the same.
Um ok greg

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Um ok greg
Take Greg out of the conversation and I am still right.

You KNOW that YOU looked at some Youtube highlights when some of these unknown players were signed (in my best YOU can't HANDLE the TRUTH voice).

Would you have bothered to look at them if they had not been signed?

Why should some random scout look at them unless he had some personal or professional reason to do so?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Take Greg out of the conversation and I am still right.

You KNOW that YOU looked at some Youtube highlights when some of these unknown players were signed (in my best YOU can't HANDLE the TRUTH voice).

Would you have bothered to look at them if they had not been signed?

Why should some random scout look at them unless he had some personal or professional reason to do so?
Why would a scout who got fired by the bears tweet an opinion publicly about someone he himself admitted he didn’t scout, hmmmmm?

There’s a difference between a forum post and a fired bears scout’s public tweet.

Get bent, Greg

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You’re saying you NEVER wanted the bears to attempt to sign or sign any exceptional players? Not even on DL??

No I am saying there were not exceptional players available on the OL and DL. People were already complaining about how this free agent class was weak so where did all these exceptional players come from?

If I define exceptional as a top 10 player at their position then the only OL/DL available that qualified is McGary who ranked 4 but most here including you didnt want him because his ranking was based largely on his run blocking.

If I expand to the top 20 then on the DL Hargrave was 11th and went for 21m but then Billings was 17th and Walker 24th and we signed them. Brown was 19th but we signed Davis who was 17th at G.

Then of course Edmunds and Edwards were 5th and 6th at LB and we signed both.

So again who are we saying is exceptional and how have we determined that? It seems some just wanted him to sign names they recognized. We ended up with 5 players ranked in the top 25 at their position and 2 in the top 10 but people are crying because we didnt go after largely lower ranked players at positions of perceived need in an alleged weak FA class.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This is a possibility. Nothing like taking the third or fourth best at a position or reaching on a player that isn’t a legit first round talent so that you can win the draft with positional value points instead of games with an offense that can score real points. I mean, right? Nothing wins games like winning positional value and maths.

Oh, right. Offense wins games. We aren’t close to a championship. Poles is building a solid team. Yeah, they could go with lesser talent or the best player in the draft. Seems an easy call to me.
If football were one on one, I would take adetomiwa adebawore over Robinson.

He is bigger (6'2" to 6'), heavier (280 to 220) but a tick slower (4.46 to 4.49) and would eventually injure Robinson as Robinson tried to tackle him.

The thing is (and the point) that football is not a one-on-one sport. It takes teamwork and the 3rd or 4th defensive lineman might be an extremely good player if that year's draft is strong at the top for defensive linemen, the top 3 LTs in this are legitimate 1st rounders and an injury to a RB can end his career, no, the exceptional part of his career, and it has a much better chance of happening if some weak link OT lets a defender through and the defender destroys the special part of the runner, his legs (achilles, MCL, ACL and other Ls).

Now, Poles has just shown that exceptional talent at a less valuable position is still valuable and he is willing to get that exceptional player.

So there is hope for him drafting Robinson, if he sees him like you do.