**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Something is wrong with your brain if the first thing that comes to mind when you read that a few NFL teams don't have a lot of draft picks this year is some weird racial shit about quarterbacks.
The 9ers have 11 picks in this years draft.

Side note...the Vikings with QB Cousins has 5 draft picks

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Yeah OK right that's the argument you were initially making, sure thing.
I'm not sure what other pt. I was trying to make? It doesn't matter if you have 1 pick or 20, the goal is to nail it.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
There's risk and reward for the Bears trying to pull off the double trade down.

Risk: The Bears trade with Houston, Carolina waits to determine if they trade, or how much they are willing to trade, until they know who Houston takes at #1. This possibly affects their willingness to trade Moore, how much draft capital they will give up, or if they are willing to trade up with the Bears at all. Maybe even shifting their focus to Arizona as a trade target as well.

Reward: The Bears gain the extra pick/picks from Houston, but presumably also get less from Carolina to move to #2 instead of to #1, even if everything else remains the same. So the reward on trying to double trade down is the difference of what's gained from Houston vs. what's lost with Carolina.

Even if we go with your position that Moore is a fringe top 20 WR, there doesn't appear that there was a better path to obtaining a WR1 this offseason, and it was important to be able to make that happen now for Fields and his timeline. The possibility of losing out on Moore alone is enough for me to forego the potential reward of waiting, or trying to pull off a double trade down. The outlook with Moore/Claypool/Mooney is completely different than with Claypool/Mooney/WR3.
Then you go without adding a wide receiver. There are more important positions on the football field, namely defensive end/pass rusher and offensive tackle--two positions the Bears are absolutely dreadful at. There are college teams with more talent in the trenches than the Bears.

I get what you're saying and that the Bears took the sure thing, and I'll admit it holds some water. But the decision to then not maximize the draft capital return in the trade looks really bad, and I have no idea why the deal with Carolina had to be struck so early. They prioritized getting a win-now player over future draft assets that could've fundamentally changed the course of the franchise.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what other pt. I was trying to make? It doesn't matter if you have 1 pick or 20, the goal is to nail it.
You were saying the focal point of every team's offseason is the draft. That's not true.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
You were saying the focal point of every team's offseason is the draft. That's not true.
Are you suffering from Pace-itis?

The draft is the focal point of every team. You want to draft well, regardless of the number of picks

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
Then you go without adding a wide receiver. There are more important positions on the football field, namely defensive end/pass rusher and offensive tackle--two positions the Bears are absolutely dreadful at. There are college teams with more talent in the trenches than the Bears.

I get what you're saying and that the Bears took the sure thing, and I'll admit it holds some water. But the decision to then not maximize the draft capital return in the trade looks really bad, and I have no idea why the deal with Carolina had to be struck so early. They prioritized getting a win-now player over future draft assets that could've fundamentally changed the course of the franchise.
I guess we disagree on how important improving WR was this offseason. It's not just about winning games in 2023, but helping Fields development and the ability to have a better evaluation of him going forward. I think both of those things are critical.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
What if you have a white quarterback?
In your eyes that apparently solves all issues. They'll nail the draft even if they have 5 picks

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You forget the simplest things. Probably why your football takes are horrible here.

See DJ Moore/Fields
Look man, you're the one celebrating another offseason championship and convinced yet another talented-yet-flawed Bears quarterback is going to be The One. This movie plays on Bears fandom repeat and you think this time it has a different ending? Lol, yeah and you call me the forgetful one.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Look man, you're the one celebrating another offseason championship and convinced yet another talented-yet-flawed Bears quarterback is going to be The One. This movie plays on Bears fandom repeat and you think this time it has a different ending? Lol, yeah and you call me the forgetful one.
Me not celebrating the offseason doesn't make your takes any less shitty

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Are they? Sutton is a good corner, that was a nice signing. Mosley has injury issues, Gardner-Johnson is a solid signing though I think he may have benefited from playing on that defense. Glasgow is an almost 31 year old mediocre guard, and Montgomery is a mediocre running back. I am unimpressed.
I think most people are focused on the secondary signings, not so much Glasgow. And yea, Montgomery isn't going to move the needle a whole lot when they already have a back in Swift who's good in the pass game. They needed help in the secondary though and addressed it about as reasonably well as they could in free agency. Credit where credit is due.