**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The bears could not pass the ball last year in a LARGE part because the O line could not block. Unfortunately getting DJ Moore doesn’t solve this problem.

Getting Nate Davis did not solve this problem either.
Well Moore does have the short-area quickness to get open fast, and he is a really good route runner. A lot of the problems start and stop with Mustipher alone, but how many times did bad receivers cost this team just last year? Washington is a win on the throw to Pettis if Moore is in instead of him. Chicago had a chance to steal on against minnesota until a special teamer playing receiver didnt secure the ball. A better receiving option is key to next year's success, or else nobody here would have ever mentioned drafting JSN.

While this team is still in need at RT and C, and that is part of why this team did not let Fields complete his drop so many times, it is more than just blocking that was keeping the passing offense in the stable. There was no reason for teams to respect the pass - half of the year we were starting receivers that wouldn't make some team's practice squad. Pettis wasnt beating single coverage by linebackers, ESB was lazy in a lot of his cuts, and everyone else below them were glorified special teams players.

Having someone who can get open and secure the catch, who is genuinely a valid starting receiver (as opposed to Pettis), will help the passing offense, and was just as big a need as any individual lineman. Mooney wasnt cutting it as a #1, nobody has illusions that Claypool will do it either. Bringing Moore to Chicago was a big win.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
It seems like he didn’t have many teams interested. So yes, the one year deal for a good price looks like his best option.

Hopefully, he’s a security blanket for their incoming rookie QB and he racks up some stats.
Does anyone have any idea what his market was? He is clearly betting on himself, but yeah is a legit security blanket for a rookie QB. It could work perfectly in his favor but don’t see it happening

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Well all players abused pain killers, they got them from team doctors to keep them on the field. And I am in agreement with you, but I am here to talk about how this policy is differently applied depending on the person, not the drug of choice.

I just think that Roger Goodell needs to make a statement on why it is okay for Aaron Rodgers do psychedelic cocktails in the desert with accompanied by people that think they are witches. He should do it on TV. The league's drug rules are all about how we need to have football players be good role models for children, so Goodell should be made to go on TV and say why this specific case is different.
The policy around marijuana changed two years ago. Players are tested once per year and cannot be suspended even if they fail that one test.

As long as you don't beat your old lady or get behind the wheel the NFL no longer gives a shit what hole you dig yourself with drugs and booze. All this outrage over a perceived double standard is completely baseless.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
It is true. I think Justin Fields is a trash thrower and stands very little chance of improving to the point where he's worth a veteran contract. Hence why this obsessive pursuit of wide receivers at any and all costs is so misguided. That is what this is all about for me.

Now what's it all about for you?
Not sure why you'd overspend for mediocrity on the line if you don't feel that Fields the future QB

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Well Moore does have the short-area quickness to get open fast, and he is a really good route runner. A lot of the problems start and stop with Mustipher alone, but how many times did bad receivers cost this team just last year? Washington is a win on the throw to Pettis if Moore is in instead of him. Chicago had a chance to steal on against minnesota until a special teamer playing receiver didnt secure the ball. A better receiving option is key to next year's success, or else nobody here would have ever mentioned drafting JSN.

While this team is still in need at RT and C, and that is part of why this team did not let Fields complete his drop so many times, it is more than just blocking that was keeping the passing offense in the stable. There was no reason for teams to respect the pass - half of the year we were starting receivers that wouldn't make some team's practice squad. Pettis wasnt beating single coverage by linebackers, ESB was lazy in a lot of his cuts, and everyone else below them were glorified special teams players.

Having someone who can get open and secure the catch, who is genuinely a valid starting receiver (as opposed to Pettis), will help the passing offense, and was just as big a need as any individual lineman. Mooney wasnt cutting it as a #1, nobody has illusions that Claypool will do it either. Bringing Moore to Chicago was a big win.
Look I like the Moore acquisition but it’s plain as day that teams that want to pass the ball effectively and often have a good OL. It’s as simple as that.

Bears signed a career long RG and it’s not clear what this means for the only above average lineman on the team in revenue Jenkins.

Borom is not starter quality and was regularly outplayed by reif. Whitehair is coming off a knee injury and is older. Lucas Patrick has done nothing of value at this point and was absolutely miserable last season.

Braxton jones played great for a 5th rounder, if he builds on his season from last year that is a huge win, but it’s a big ask for a second year player that legitimately could not stop a single bull rush from any rusher. Wait and see with this one imo.

Poles did nothing of significance to address the line and even if he drafts a tackle at pick 9 I’d expect the early season to be a struggle. The offense is going to be much of the same in that they likely struggle to pass whenever it’s obvious passing down or when they NEED to.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The policy around marijuana changed two years ago. Players are tested once per year and cannot be suspended even if they fail that one test.

As long as you don't beat your old lady or get behind the wheel the NFL no longer gives a shit what hole you dig yourself with drugs and booze. All this outrage over a perceived double standard is completely baseless.
Did you read my post or skim for words to react to like normal?

I was talking about ayahuasca, and the NFLPA still produces a list that includes Desoxymethyltestosterone as a banned substance. It's in Appendix A of the list on their website

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
When they announced the trade I was 100% sure it was going to be for Tunsil because he was the only one left on the board worth giving up that much to trade up to #9 overall to get. When then announced that the pick was Floyd, I just sat there in confusion and disbelief for a solid minute. Why wouldn't they have expected Floyd to be there at #11? Why bother trading up? That trade up didn't make any sense at the time and looks even dumber in retrospect.
The Giants wanted Floyd. That’s why he moved up.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The bears could not pass the ball last year in a LARGE part because the O line could not block. Unfortunately getting DJ Moore doesn’t solve this problem.

Getting Nate Davis did not solve this problem either.

No they could not pass the ball because of the OL, WRs and Fields. It was a collective failure. Whatever faults that exist on the OL the fact is the WRs ranked last in the NFL per PFF and Fields held onto the ball longer than any QB in the NFL and it wasnt even close.

So all need to get better. DJ Moore certainly improves the WR room and I seriously doubt Davis is the last OL that will be added. Crying as if the season starts tomorrow is quite odd. As is pretending the WRs and Fields werent a large part of the problem last year.

There is a reason both Flus and Fields have said he needs to work on taking what the D gives him and the short game. He was fucking terrible at it and no it wasnt because of the OL. His intermediate and deep passing were much better and those plays take longer to block. Yet he was garbage in the short game and you guys need to stop pretending that was all on the OL. This whole team needs inproving. Not just the OL.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is true. I think Justin Fields is a trash thrower and stands very little chance of improving to the point where he's worth a veteran contract. Hence why this obsessive pursuit of wide receivers at any and all costs is so misguided. That is what this is all about for me.

Now what's it all about for you?

It is about being not letting one's bias posion how one evaluates every move. The trade from an unbiased perspective speaking was good. The FA moves from an unbiased perspective were good. That is true whether Fields is the answer or not.

There is more than one way to build a team and stupidly pretending it can only be built in the manner you prefer is juvenile.

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
No they could not pass the ball because of the OL, WRs and Fields. It was a collective failure. Whatever faults that exist on the OL the fact is the WRs ranked last in the NFL per PFF and Fields held onto the ball longer than any QB in the NFL and it wasnt even close.

So all need to get better. DJ Moore certainly improves the WR room and I seriously doubt Davis is the last OL that will be added. Crying as if the season starts tomorrow is quite odd. As is pretending the WRs and Fields werent a large part of the problem last year.

There is a reason both Flus and Fields have said he needs to work on taking what the D gives him and the short game. He was fucking terrible at it and no it wasnt because of the OL. His intermediate and deep passing were much better and those plays take longer to block. Yet he was garbage in the short game and you guys need to stop pretending that was all on the OL. This whole team needs inproving. Not just the OL.
Yeahhhh so Moore is an obvious upgrade, hopefully fields develops …. This just leaves the OL. Hopefully jones develops, but they needed to add more than just Nate Davis imo.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Yeahhhh so Moore is an obvious upgrade, hopefully fields develops …. This just leaves the OL. Hopefully jones develops, but they needed to add more than just Nate Davis imo.
Are you aware that the NFL draft hasn't occured yet and the bears have four of the top 64 picks? Just checking.

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:

They waited late to sign him last year but Riley Reiff did help raise the floor of the OL after seeing that Borom wasn't an answer longterm.

I'd expect them to sign an older RT in the same vein before the draft to eliminate that as an absolute MUST heading into the draft but still address both C and T in the draft.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
They waited late to sign him last year but Riley Reiff did help raise the floor of the OL after seeing that Borom wasn't an answer longterm.

I'd expect them to sign an older RT in the same vein before the draft to eliminate that as an absolute MUST heading into the draft but still address both C and T in the draft.
Yeah but reif wasn’t good yet he was an upgrade to borom, that’s the exact concern I have.

I don’t expect pro bowl play out of RT but I despise the idea of going into a draft and NEEDING to come away with starters at specific position.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
Look I like the Moore acquisition but it’s plain as day that teams that want to pass the ball effectively and often have a good OL. It’s as simple as that.

Bears signed a career long RG and it’s not clear what this means for the only above average lineman on the team in revenue Jenkins.

Borom is not starter quality and was regularly outplayed by reif. Whitehair is coming off a knee injury and is older. Lucas Patrick has done nothing of value at this point and was absolutely miserable last season.

Braxton jones played great for a 5th rounder, if he builds on his season from last year that is a huge win, but it’s a big ask for a second year player that legitimately could not stop a single bull rush from any rusher. Wait and see with this one imo.

Poles did nothing of significance to address the line and even if he drafts a tackle at pick 9 I’d expect the early season to be a struggle. The offense is going to be much of the same in that they likely struggle to pass whenever it’s obvious passing down or when they NEED to.
From my armchair GM perspective I viewed this offseason as 2 things being critical to accomplish: Improving WR and OL. The reason being that developing Fields and evaluating him should be the priority in 2023 imo. Improving the defense is important, but a more patient approach can be taken.

I didn't have high expectations for improving WR given the options, but Poles found a way to bring in a young WR1 on a good contract, from a team who is looking to draft a QB. That was a huge win and completely unexpected for me.

The argument could be made that the addition of Nate Davis improves the entire interior of the OL. It remains to be seen who will play where, but an interior OL of Davis/Whitehair/Jenkins seems to be a big improvement over Whitehair/Mustipher/Jenkins. It's reasonable to expect Jones to show significant improvement this upcoming season as well.

That leaves RT as the big area of concern, and it is concerning. I expect Poles to find a way to solidify RT in the draft and/or other means by the time the season starts. Maybe they should have been willing to overpay for McGlinchey, but I hear he is an average pass protector. I assume Poles had a plan B once the McGlinchey contract got too big, and they feel confident that their plan B can achieve at least a similar pass protection option at RT. Finding an average pass blocking RT seems achievable (protecting Fields is priority over run blocking). Plan B could be via the draft or trade.

They likely look to add a C in the draft as well, and with Poles pulling a rabbit out of his hat to nab a WR1, I'm not panicking on the lack of a RT at this point in the offseason either.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange