**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Would you say you were more surprised that the Bears didn’t draft him, or that people would still be talking about not drafting him seven years later?
That's how desperate the Bears have been for OL all these years.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't think Stein left but was just demoted or shuffled off to the side, may be wrong.
Correct, Pace didn't appreciate the stink eye he was getting from Stein with every shitty contract he concocted.

Imagine having one of, if not the, best cap guys in place when you become GM and demoting him out of hubris? What a fucking tool.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If we are talking on what players fit what scheme, is this the type of tackle Chicago would do well to not consider? The Bengals are a vertical offense, it seems. Or is this the kind of player that struggled in Cinci and moving him to a zone scheme would be a friendly move for someone of his skill set?
Not sure because he played thru a knee injury last 1-2 years, probably hurting him now when he could have sat out.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It's not so much about who they signed in isolation. It's that they used free agency wisely to address their weakest position group on a team that's young and ascending. And i don't believe they lost a single good player that couldn't be replaced. The only guys i'm aware of that they lost were Jamaal Williams and D.J. Chark but it's not like those guys are great players. Fletcher Cox too maybe? Not bad for a team that went 9-8 last year.

Then not only that but they have two 1sts and two 2nds to spend.
Cox is with Eagles, not Lions and resigned.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Correct, Pace didn't appreciate the stink eye he was getting from Stein with every shitty contract he concocted.

Imagine having one of, if not the, best cap guys in place when you become GM and demoting him out of hubris? What a fucking tool.

Dont think he was demoted. Was SVP and General Counsel basically handling all things legal and contractual on both football and non-football side. Think Pace just removed the football operations side of that and Pace brought in a Director of Football Admin who was a salary cap guy and contracts guy. Poles hired more of an analytics guy for that role so gave the cap and contracts back to Stein.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because we are talking extending Quan vs signing Edmunds as a FA. If I wanted to bring in 2022 I would note keeping Quan likely means no No 1 pick for the Bears and having Quan still resulted in the same 1st round exit Ravens would have endured without him. So Bears still better off getting the draft picks and not having Quan get us an extra win somewhere.

We are not paying top dollar. Top dollar is 20m a year. We are paying the 4th highest AAV for the 5th best LB per PFF so pretty much right around his value. Ravens are paying No 1 AAV for the No 21 LB per PFF. And again we also have a 2nd and 5th round pick we would otherwise not have.
It is really not that hard. The trade equity is illrelevant to this conversation. The Ravens gave up a 2nd and a 5th to have Roquan in 2022 and only had to pay him peanuts. That ship has sailed. Never said it was a bad move. Not once. Your also making assumptions that can not be proven as it pertains to this years draft pick. There are many ways to "tank". You can say if the Bears would have had Roquan, they would have won more games? Maybe? Butterfly effect. I can also say, if the Bears would not have aquired a 2nd round pick in that trade, they would not have turned around and traded thier 2nd round pick for deadweight Claypool.

It has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation, until you hop in moving goal posts and trying your damdest to vortex this.

The overwhelming concensus on CCS at the time of the trade was that is too much money to pay for a non premium position.

Both Edmunds and Roquan negotitated new contracts after the close of 2022. Everything that happened prior is mute. The only comparison that is now trying to be made is between the two contracts. Why? I don't know. Two completely different issues. Never intended to argue which contract was better, which player is better, blah blah blah, that is all subjective and can never really be examined until after the contracts have expired and performances evaulated.

Newsflash, you are still paying top dollar to a non premium position.
Maybe spend it on a legit O-line?

Last edited:

Bort

Liked Posts:
When your defensive line is this fucking bad, you drool over average players.

Ed Oliver is a very good DT. He's not the all-pro that the Bills were hoping for when they drafted him #9 overall, but he's been a quality starter in the NFL for 4 years now. If he's going to become a cap casualty for the Bills, other teams will be making trade offers, and trading away a mid to late round pick to make sure you get him seems like a reasonable price.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Ed Oliver is a very good DT. He's not the all-pro that the Bills were hoping for when they drafted him #9 overall, but he's been a quality starter in the NFL for 4 years now. If he's going to become a cap casualty for the Bills, other teams will be making trade offers, and trading away a mid to late round pick to make sure you get him seems like a reasonable price.
Issue here is if the bears acquire him they may not lead the league in cap space by quite as much. Poles seems pretty content on trying to make sure
Bears hold first place in this category.