**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I said if you trade him now then his 32m cap hit changes to 40m so increases the salary cap by 8 million ie it reduces your cap from 23m to 15m.

If you trade him post June 1 then his 32m cap hit reduces to 15m and the cap goes up to 40m (23m current cap + 17m cap savings) but then 24m of cap hit gets kicked into next year. So think you are confusing 40m cap hit if traded before June 1 with 40m in cap space if traded after June 1. I also should have said the cap hit increases to 24m next year not the cap so that part was just a typo.
Waiting until June 1 increases ......

That is the part that confused me, it does not increase anything, only allows the cap hit to be spread over two years. Long story short, it is advantageous for the Packers to wait until after June 1 to trade him, IF they do not get adequate compensation (in their mind) in the 2023 draft.

Then things get even more dicey after the option is implemented.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
We were 60-40 run vs pass. Think we get to maybe 50-50 or 45-55 but dont think it will flip say 40-60 the other way as Getsy likes to run.

Having said that even if we assume the 340 there is still not enough balls to go around. You said there were about 90 receptions after top 4. Ok so RBs caught about 50 balls last year on 192 completions so stands to reason they probably get 50-60 so just 30-40 balls left. Tonyan had 53 receptions last year. And I am saying combined that VJJ and ESB probably get around 30 receptions (not VJJ getting 30 by himself) as no team is staying completely healthy. This doesnt even get into the fact your totals on the top 4 may in fact be a bit low for a 17 game season.

So all I am saying is we have talent on O right now. Adding a Bijan is more of a luxury unless we moving one of these guys. Fields will not be short on weapons. What he needs to be able to do is actually execute noe that he has those weapons in place.

What probably makes more sense is getting another WR that you can probably develop for a yearto guard against one of Mooney or Claypool leaving after this year. A guy like a Jayden Reed.
Yeah I'm not arguing for Bijan right now, I like two of the top three OTs at 9, or the top pass rusher available in the position before considering a trade down.

But I do think you are overestimating what Tonyan will receive as the second TE, and I think Bijan would blow the competition on this team out of the water to eat up the starter's share. A vet FA may get cut if that's the case, but I'm not going to fret over that if Poles ultimately makes the move to add a RB in the draft. Nobody on the team is expressly better than Monty, who signed elsewhere.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
That is surprising as figured they would want the big money guy at Will given that is where plays are funneled to in this D. Urlacher always complained that playing Mike in a Cover 2 meant less big plays since his job was mainly preventing teams fro. exploiting the deep middle and taking on more blocks as a Mike.

On other hand it makes sense because Edmunds has more length than Edwards so if Flus is envisioning Edmunds as more of an Urlacher who can drop to deep middle then having that extra length makes it harder for a QB to get the ball over him relative to Edwards.
I think Poles, Flus and Edmunds all mentioned the latter piece here.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Waiting until June 1 increases ......

That is the part that confused me, it does not increase anything, only allows the cap hit to be spread over two years. Long story short, it is advantageous for the Packers to wait until after June 1 to trade him, IF they do not get adequate compensation (in their mind) in the 2023 draft.

Then things get even more dicey after the option is implemented.

The current cap space is 23m. So trading him now means cap space goes down from 23m to 15m (32m current cap hit vs 40m dead cap means additional 8m in cap space used).

Waiting until June 1 means that that 40m in dead cap gets spread over 2 years ie 15m this year and 25m next year year). So that means this years cap would increase 17m (32 current cap hit vs 15m in 2023 dead cap). So the cap space for this year would go up to 40m.

However my point is free agency is largely over so there isnt much need for a ton of cap space. Further having 40m in cap space post June 1 isnt all that beneficial as more than likely you just roll it into 2024 anyways. Thus, it really isnt hugely beneficial to wait unless the Packers plan on signing more FAs for big money or extending someone. Otherwise they have more than enough cap space to sign their draft class and have money left over for in-season emergencies.

The 2023 option does not really matter unless the Packers were willing to exercise it before the trade to get a better pick. But that would require them having enough cap space to eat 58.3m more dead cap either over one year or two.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah I'm not arguing for Bijan right now, I like two of the top three OTs at 9, or the top pass rusher available in the position before considering a trade down.

But I do think you are overestimating what Tonyan will receive as the second TE, and I think Bijan would blow the competition on this team out of the water to eat up the starter's share. A vet FA may get cut if that's the case, but I'm not going to fret over that if Poles ultimately makes the move to add a RB in the draft. Nobody on the team is expressly better than Monty, who signed elsewhere.

I think they added Tonyan to be the move TE as they talked about Tonyan allowing Kmet to block more so I do think they will be using him to get down the seams. He ran around 4.58 while Kmet is more of a 4.75 guy.

Monty only got 3.9 YPC last year while. Foreman was at 4.5 and Herbert was 5.7. So Monty was not a better runner. I dont really expect Bijan to come in and significantly outperform 4.5 or 5.7 so even if he gets more carries he isnt really providing more YPC as a runner.

And as a WR I think there would be better options so definitely dont see him as a slot WR. So where he is adding value realistically is in the check down game as I expect him to do more catching passes as a RB than Foreman or Herbert or Homer. However I dont think that alone is worth a 1st round pick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Poles, Flus and Edmunds all mentioned the latter piece here.

Yeah I know hence why I said it makes sense. Just meant that when they gave him 18m and talked about being able to coach more ball production I assumed that would be at Will as that is the position in this D that is designed to make plays. The Mike really is designed to take on blocks and police the deep middle so that others can shine.

Urlacher was just such a singular talent that he still had decent production but not sure Edmunds is at that level. So I just wouldnt expect a massive uptick in ball production is all.

Flus and Poles said today that Braxton can play both LT & RT. Sounds like they are getting ready to move him to RT

Yeah given his good run blocking he should be able to play either side. I presume if they draft a T high they will let them compete and if that dude is ready to hold down LT then can put Jones at RT.

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If they really want to move to some downstate shithole like Arlington Heights that Kevin Warren idiot is going to do more to work against them than every Chicago fan combined.
What a load of crap, go away and stop posting your childish shit. You ever been to Arlington Hight's? Lightfoot can such lemons.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The Claypool criticism is insane. People basing it on his time with the Bears last year are overly critical. I think he's going to do far better than most peolpe here think. Is he Justin Jefferson? No. But he's not this "giant mistake" the armchair GMs want to pretend he is.
Agreed, bump this comment.

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Flus and Poles said today that Braxton can play both LT & RT. Sounds like they are getting ready to move him to RT

Really feels like they're walking away with a Tackle from the 1st round.

My ideal - Levis falls and we have somebody like say Tampa trade up to 9 to give us a 3rd + 2024 1st to nab him. We grab another Tackle and roll into next off-season with a really established, young OL + plenty of draft capital to add where's needed.