**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Oh brother.

Fields was better than Hurts in high school and college. Justin is bigger, faster and has a better arm.

What’s the “oh brother?”

Hurts had a great year on a completely stacked team with the best o-line in football. Fields was one of the most dynamic dual threat weapons in the NFL on a complete dog shit team.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This draft seems replete with big long athletic OT's that could contribute day 1. P Johnson, D Jones, B Jones, C Mauch, A Harrison, B Freeman, B Daniels. I think the worst move would be to spend a 1st on Pete Wallaby Skronski. Johnson at 9, B Jones later in the first or use a later pick on OT.

I know the Bears are interested in Bergeron and Duncan too.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This draft seems replete with big long athletic OT's that could contribute day 1. P Johnson, D Jones, B Jones, C Mauch, A Harrison, B Freeman, B Daniels. I think the worst move would be to spend a 1st on Pete Wallaby Skronski. Johnson at 9, B Jones later in the first or use a later pick on OT.

Yeah I see no reason that OT or DT has to be the pick at 9. Go with the highest player on your board that fills a need as there will be guys at 53, 61 and 64 to address OT and DT. And I would say we have needs at OT, DT, WR (longer term given Mooney and Clay are free agents), and CB. You could probably argue there are needs at S, TE, and RB longer term as well but I am against drafting those positions in the top 10.

Having said that, I think the best option may just be to trade down again and try and pick up another 2nd round pick. I like the bottom half of the first round more in terms of value than I do the top 10.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
“No team can ever have enough quality offensive tackles. And as the NFL evolves, defensive players get more and more athletic. This means your offensive tackles must be much more than just masses of humanity, immobile albeit immovable objects.

But not Lousiville offensive tackle Trevor Reid. Reid at 6-foot-4 and 311 pounds is a remarkable athlete. He proved that once again at the Louisville pro day when he shined with some of the most impressive workout numbers of the offseason by an offensive lineman.

Reid posted a 38-inch vertical and 10-4 broad jump and a 4.90-second 40-yard dash. These would have all been the best numbers by an offensive lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine.”

Poles says hello on day 3.

I remember mocking him to us a while ago. I think I was the first one to mock him to us. I like the kid.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The return of bonus money is only likely to occur when the player essentially retires unexpectedly and without legitimate reason (i.e. injury).
Hence why I said they would likely go to arbitration as in your scenario he would be retiring unexpectedly and without a legitimate reason. So in a contentious situation like this, the Packers are likely to claim Rodgers operated in bad faith and to circumvent the contract while still reaping the benefits of it. Just like the CBA clearly gives the right of a team to recoup SB but the player still has the option to take it to arbitration and fight it. Here again is what I said.

No it is a roster bonus treated as a signing bonus for cap purposes. Whether it can be recouped has never been legally tested and it is obvious agents would say no because they represent players. You ask an NFL GM and they likely argue it is really a signing bonus hence the allocation over years and hence in a real world scenario it probably goes to arbitration. You are taking an agent's words as gospel ignoring his bias in favor of players.

So again the point is this would be the first time a player like Rodgers played a silly game like this with these huge roster bonus amounts involved so assuming the Packers just sit there and take it is stupid.

From the CBA
If the player returns to play for the Club in the subsequent season, then the Club must either (a) take the player back under his existing contract with no forfeiture of the remaining Forfeitable Salary Allocations, or (b) release the player and seek repayment of any remaining Forfeitable Salary Allocations for future League Years.

So as I said the club has the option take the player back and then no forfeiture occurs or release the player and they would no longer be subject to the guarantees and can seek repayment of any forfeitable amounts.

So again all you are doing is coming up with a hypothetical and then assuming Rodgers and only Rodgers aggressively tries to circumvent the contract while the Packers just sit there and take it. This would be a unique highly contentious situation involving huge sums of money and unique terms so it is likely both sides would litigate the hell out of this and have an actual arbiter rule on how to apply the provisions of the CBA given allegations of one or both sides operating in bad faith.

In any event, we have exhausted this topic. Let's see if Rodgers gets your advice as until then all of this is moot.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
There was a reporter a month or so ago that suggested that Rodgers could in theory "retire" and then a week before the season, say that he is back. The Packers would have no choice but to release him because they would have to immediately find 60 million dollars to cover his salary which would be almost impossible.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Since 2013 that isn't too terrible a list.

1 Terrible bust(White)
1 Bust(Mitch)
1 Okay Player(Floyd)
Three Pro Bowl Level Players(Fuller, Long, Smith)
1 GOAT(JF1)

I'd bet most teams are about as bad. The draft really is a crapshoot, which is why I'm all for trading down 300 times.
Only 300 times, wimp!

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:

“The expectation is that Teven Jenkinswill move to left guard”
This is not a quote from Poles though.
Possible that an ESPN writer is making an assumption here? Why wouldn't they use a direct quote if it came out of his mouth? I'm skeptical that this has any real basis.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There was a reporter a month or so ago that suggested that Rodgers could in theory "retire" and then a week before the season, say that he is back. The Packers would have no choice but to release him because they would have to immediately find 60 million dollars to cover his salary which would be almost impossible.
Yeah again this isn't actually true. Packers have 23m in cap space right now. They only have to sign their draft class and doubtful they sign any more free agents so let's say they have 17m in cap space.

If he unretires one week before the season then he would count as 32m against the cap again not 60m. So they would in effect have the same 17m in cap space as before. Now what happens is the Packers would have until one day before the season starts to exercise the option in which case his cap hit would be the same 32m and they would have the same 17m in cap space. If they decide not to exercise the option then and only then would that 58.3m option convert into salary.

So that would still give the Packers a week or so to negotiate a trade with teams they already likely have had substantial trade talks with. They can then trade him before the deadline one day before the season. Or if for whatever reason they don't like the trade they simply decide whether to exercise or not. If they do not then no need to come up with 60. Rodgers would already be counting 32m against the cap and they already have 17m in excess cap space so that is already 49m. They would just need to come up with about 15m if they want a 5m buffer which that is really just restructuring a couple of guys.

The problem with all of this is that if Rodgers wants out, doing this may decrease the chances of him being moved as once the Packers are on the hook for the 58m option (either pro-rated or as salary) that increases what they would want to receive in trade because they are taking on more money. So Packers could just hang on to him and still start Love because the 58m hits their cap no matter what and may not want to risk Rodgers getting hurt. Their best option would then be to not to exercise and let it convert to salary because if they make an in season trade with him, any salary for games not played yet would be born by the new team. Whereas exercising the option would make the entire 58m the Packers responsibility.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yeah again this isn't actually true. Packers have 23m in cap space right now. They only have to sign their draft class and doubtful they sign any more free agents so let's say they have 17m in cap space.

If he unretires one week before the season then he would count as 32m against the cap again not 60m. So they would in effect have the same 17m in cap space as before. Now what happens is the Packers would have until one day before the season starts to exercise the option in which case his cap hit would be the same 32m and they would have the same 17m in cap space. If they decide not to exercise the option then and only then would that 58.3m option convert into salary.

So that would still give the Packers a week or so to negotiate a trade with teams they already likely have had substantial trade talks with. They can then trade him before the deadline one day before the season. Or if for whatever reason they don't like the trade they simply decide whether to exercise or not. If they do not then no need to come up with 60. Rodgers would already be counting 32m against the cap and they already have 17m in excess cap space so that is already 49m. They would just need to come up with about 15m if they want a 5m buffer which that is really just restructuring a couple of guys.

The problem with all of this is that if Rodgers wants out, doing this may decrease the chances of him being moved as once the Packers are on the hook for the 58m option (either pro-rated or as salary) that increases what they would want to receive in trade because they are taking on more money. So Packers could just hang on to him and still start Love because the 58m hits their cap no matter what and may not want to risk Rodgers getting hurt. Their best option would then be to not to exercise and let it convert to salary because if they make an in season trade with him, any salary for games not played yet would be born by the new team. Whereas exercising the option would make the entire 58m the Packers responsibility.
You probably are right. The optics of having a guy on the bench counting for 58 million in cap make that an impossibility. And if the Packers pick up Love's 5th year in May, they are playing him unless he gets hurt.