**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
That wasnt actually a problem for Fields. He had a 107 passer rating on those plays and 70% adjusted accuracy which is top 10. His problem was he sucked throwing short as he was 30th in accuracy on passes behind the LoS and 0-9 yards.

So while we should improve the OL, I dont actually think that is what was holding him back. He has to get much better taking the short stuff and being accurate in the short game which Poles, Flus, Getsy and Fields have all said in one form or fashion.
Not saying he should not try to improve his short game and yes, he is very accurate in that 10 to 20 yard range but it is a limited sample size for him. It is also a range that Moore excels in, so upgrade his line and the allow Fields to feast there.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't bother me at all to get one of Gonzalez or Witherspoon and solidify this secondary especially since we still need at least one more year of rebuilding this roster.
Gonzalez has it all, importantly height to cover bigger WR's and TE's. Witherspoon, isn't he like 5-10"?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not saying he should not try to improve his short game and yes, he is very accurate in that 10 to 20 yard range but it is a limited sample size for him. It is also a range that Moore excels in, so upgrade his line and the allow Fields to feast there.

Yeah I am saying not sure that limited sample was entirely on the OL. He has the highest time to throw as well as time in pocket. Meanwhile he had the worst ranked WRs per PFF in the NFL. So I think getting Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Kmet/Tonyan playing together will go a long way to fixing the issue because he should be able to get the ball out faster because guys will actually be open to throw to.

Having said that I think the line is already improved. Braxton in his 2nd year and Jenkins/Borom/Leatherwood in their 3rd year should be better. Whitehair and a healthy Patrick at C should be better than last year and Davis should be an improvement as well. So really it is just a question of whether Borom/Leatherwood/Rookie can hold down one of the tackle spots.

Another reason why taking a HB in the top 10 is generally a bad idea.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I’d like to see that number closer to 600-700 yards.

Foreman/Herbert are both capable of rushing for 800+ yards

Moore/Mooney/Claypool are all capable of 850+ yards

Kmet/Tonyan both have 500+ yd seasons under their belt

Absolutely no reason for Fields to have a huge rushing year or having to rely on his legs as much.
I agree with this but you forgot JF's 3600-4000 passing yards.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
This draft seems replete with big long athletic OT's that could contribute day 1. P Johnson, D Jones, B Jones, C Mauch, A Harrison, B Freeman, B Daniels. I think the worst move would be to spend a 1st on Pete Wallaby Skronski. Johnson at 9, B Jones later in the first or use a later pick on OT.
The Bears should get 2 of those guys and keep moving down the road.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I really am looking forward to seeing what we have in Ja'Tyre Carter. The dude was a PG on his high school basketball team at his size! Yeah, I am thinking that after an offseason of work, he may be something that surprises us.
I've been thinking/asking the same thing, for some reason I think he is going to surprise and start this year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Another reason why taking a HB in the top 10 is generally a bad idea.
To be fair, the only top 10 RBs to NOT have his 5th year option picked up was Leonard Fournette, who went to his new team and won a Superbowl and parlayed it into a big contract.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To be fair, the only top 10 RBs to NOT have his 5th year option picked up was Leonard Fournette, who went to his new team and won a Superbowl and parlayed it into a big contract.

To be fair he was hardly the reason the Bucs won the SB. Also, Trent Richardson was 3rd pick and a bust. Todd Gurley had 3 good years for the Rams got a 2nd contract and then was pretty much garbage. Zeke you can say was good for an extended period of time but I still would not draft him top 10. CMC has had 3 standout years, 3 pretty poor ones due mostly to injury. So being good 50% of the the time isn't really a ringing endorsement. Now if he strings together a few healthy standout seasons then you can mark him down as a success. Barkley has similar injury issues as CMC and cracked 1500 yards from scrimmage just twice so again needs to string more standout seasons.

It just isn't a good investment generally as most of the time these guys are replaceable for cheap or suffer injuries that wipe out whole seasons of theirs.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
To be fair he was hardly the reason the Bucs won the SB. Also, Trent Richardson was 3rd pick and a bust. Todd Gurley had 3 good years for the Rams got a 2nd contract and then was pretty much garbage. Zeke you can say was good for an extended period of time but I still would not draft him top 10. CMC has had 3 standout years, 3 pretty poor ones due mostly to injury. So being good 50% of the the time isn't really a ringing endorsement. Now if he strings together a few healthy standout seasons then you can mark him down as a success. Barkley has similar injury issues as CMC and cracked 1500 yards from scrimmage just twice so again needs to string more standout seasons.

It just isn't a good investment generally as most of the time these guys are replaceable for cheap or suffer injuries that wipe out whole seasons of theirs.
Ok sure. I'm not arguing any of this. Just saying top 10 RBs have been typically given the 5th year option. Part of it is because they're mostly good (IDK if Trent was before the 5th year option or not). And I'm sure part of it is teams trying to save face by picking up the 5th year, ala Trubisky, before it was rescinded when that was a thing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ok sure. I'm not arguing any of this. Just saying top 10 RBs have been typically given the 5th year option. Part of it is because they're mostly good (IDK if Trent was before the 5th year option or not). And I'm sure part of it is teams trying to save face by picking up the 5th year, ala Trubisky, before it was rescinded when that was a thing.

Richardson never cracked 1k yards. But yeah just one of the reasons as I said not all of them. Part of the reason they likely also get picked up is that the 5th year option for a RB is pretty cheap. So even if their production or health doesn't blow you away no harm in still picking it up if they have had a few good seasons.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
No reason to sign anyone right now. Draft and then there will be another wave of cuts across the league. Many players will have to accept 1 year deals at this stage and that is what the Bears should be targeting to fill gaps in the roster. I would still rather draft a center and cut Whitehair. If you’re not going to play him at guard, he shouldn’t be on roster. He can’t snap a football in shotgun.
So, Whitehair was the Bears C from 2016 to mid 2020 and only moved to LG because of an injury to Daniels and has over 4,000 NFL snaps, was a Pro Bowl alt in 2018 but somehow, he can't make a snap in shotgun? I also believe the Bears should draft a C but bring him in to compete with Whitehair for that spot.