**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
So, Whitehair was the Bears C from 2016 to mid 2020 and only moved to LG because of an injury to Daniels and has over 4,000 NFL snaps, was a Pro Bowl alt in 2018 but somehow, he can't make a snap in shotgun? I also believe the Bears should draft a C but bring him in to compete with Whitehair for that spot.
Whitehair certainly had issues snapping the ball. He got much better by doing that dead snap, but I believe they talked about that causing some issues for qbs having to focus more on the flight of the ball on shotgun snaps.

I'm fine with him going there short term, but it certainly isn't a long term solution because of age and he isn't great.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, Whitehair was the Bears C from 2016 to mid 2020 and only moved to LG because of an injury to Daniels and has over 4,000 NFL snaps, was a Pro Bowl alt in 2018 but somehow, he can't make a snap in shotgun? I also believe the Bears should draft a C but bring him in to compete with Whitehair for that spot.
I think he can but they should decide quickly and if so, have him looking through his legs a lot this off season. The reason he stopped hiking spirals was that he killed drives with the odd miss so they went to the tumble snap. That is a big disadvantage to the QB unless he's got extra time.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yeah I am saying not sure that limited sample was entirely on the OL. He has the highest time to throw as well as time in pocket. Meanwhile he had the worst ranked WRs per PFF in the NFL. So I think getting Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Kmet/Tonyan playing together will go a long way to fixing the issue because he should be able to get the ball out faster because guys will actually be open to throw to.

Having said that I think the line is already improved. Braxton in his 2nd year and Jenkins/Borom/Leatherwood in their 3rd year should be better. Whitehair and a healthy Patrick at C should be better than last year and Davis should be an improvement as well. So really it is just a question of whether Borom/Leatherwood/Rookie can hold down one of the tackle spots.

Another reason why taking a HB in the top 10 is generally a bad idea.
It's not another reason. It's the same reason.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah again this isn't actually true. Packers have 23m in cap space right now. They only have to sign their draft class and doubtful they sign any more free agents so let's say they have 17m in cap space.

If he unretires one week before the season then he would count as 32m against the cap again not 60m. So they would in effect have the same 17m in cap space as before. Now what happens is the Packers would have until one day before the season starts to exercise the option in which case his cap hit would be the same 32m and they would have the same 17m in cap space. If they decide not to exercise the option then and only then would that 58.3m option convert into salary.

So that would still give the Packers a week or so to negotiate a trade with teams they already likely have had substantial trade talks with. They can then trade him before the deadline one day before the season. Or if for whatever reason they don't like the trade they simply decide whether to exercise or not. If they do not then no need to come up with 60. Rodgers would already be counting 32m against the cap and they already have 17m in excess cap space so that is already 49m. They would just need to come up with about 15m if they want a 5m buffer which that is really just restructuring a couple of guys.

The problem with all of this is that if Rodgers wants out, doing this may decrease the chances of him being moved as once the Packers are on the hook for the 58m option (either pro-rated or as salary) that increases what they would want to receive in trade because they are taking on more money. So Packers could just hang on to him and still start Love because the 58m hits their cap no matter what and may not want to risk Rodgers getting hurt. Their best option would then be to not to exercise and let it convert to salary because if they make an in season trade with him, any salary for games not played yet would be born by the new team. Whereas exercising the option would make the entire 58m the Packers responsibility.
The option bonus is not prorated on a per game basis, the rest of what you said is essentially correct. Once this transpires, the new team (if Rodgers is traded after the option window) has no responabilty other than the 2014 injury gurantee, and 4 days after the SB that becomes fully guranteed, plus games remaining on his 2023 base. (IIRC).