**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Last time I brought up wright a bunch of re tards that think the oline is fine told me he doesn’t fit the system ?‍♂️

I’m with you. I think that’s nonsense. His RAS score is 9.78. He’s athletic.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Wright is really good, one of my favorite prospects. I don't think he's on the table at 9, though. Could see them trading down with say Tampa and getting him at 19.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
Dude got like 2 hours of sleep before he got back to talking about Aaron Rodgers contract on a bears message board. I think for hiswn mental health he should be given like a month vacation
Yeah, that can’t be healthy. He’s taking time off his life at this point.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Wright is really good, one of my favorite prospects. I don't think he's on the table at 9, though. Could see them trading down with say Tampa and getting him at 19.

I totally agree and my original post mentioned taking him after a trade down. 19 would be a sweet spot, but maybe a little tight. I’ve been reading that a number of NFL scouts have him as a top 20 prospect.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The option bonus is not prorated on a per game basis, the rest of what you said is essentially correct. Once this transpires, the new team (if Rodgers is traded after the option window) has no responabilty other than the 2014 injury gurantee, and 4 days after the SB that becomes fully guranteed, plus games remaining on his 2023 base. (IIRC).
10pm ^^

OK, perhaps, but then they have to have 60+ mil in cap space immediately* and they cannot spread it over mulitple years. That is a non-starter.

Aaron Rodgers current projected Cap hit ( the 32 mil) is calculated assuming the option is executed. It is based on spreading the 40.8 mil in back singing bonus's, the 58m in option bonus, plus the small base salary, and then spreading the bonus's (past and present) through the 2026 season.

If they do not execute the option, then the 40.8m, plus the 58m, plus the 1.1m base all become chargable to the cap in 2023. Dude, that is 100m, an increase of over 68 mil on the current cap charge of 32m currently being used as his cap number for 2023.

Ain't no way in hell GB can do that. Even if they do have maybe 15 mil in cap after signing the rookies, that is still an additional 45-55 mil in cap they need to create. if he unretires, or never retires to begin with, (both scenarios are the same) GB's only option it to pick up the option bonus, or commit suicide.

As for how it is distributed (per game?) and if what might happen if they traded him in week 7 (if it is transferable?) isn't even worth researching because this scenario ain't never going to happen

* by the first day of the season
12 AM ^^

Not the 40.8 because they already exercised and paid that in 2022 so they still get to pro rate that.

No, No they don't You are wrong on this. Sorry. It is the same 40.8 they have to eat if Rodgers retires or is traded pre june 1. My figures are correct, and once again, it has been well reported. The only way they can spread it out,is by picking up the option, or cutting him. You were quoting how it would be wise if the Packers did not excercise his option, yet kept him on the roster and tried to trade him.

Prior to this conversation we were speaking on the implications of a pre/post june 1 trade, or the implications if Rodgers Retired/unretired.
You brought up a new scenario, one in which they do not release Rodgers, but opt not to pick up his option.

In that case his cap hit is 100m, and no amount of Vortex will change that. And it will never happen. They would be better served just cutting him, then they get relief by designating him a post june 1 cut, and spreading the 100m cap hit out over two years. But they lose all rights of any compensation in a trade, and Rodgers becomes a FA.

Base salary is paid in weekly installments but 18 weeks not 17 because forgot they include the bye

You are confusing how it might be paid out (which is irrlevant) to how it is calculated for cap purposes. But I am not going to argue this point, because, as I stated earlier, the cap hit to the Packers would be astronomical in this scenario, and you are not calculating it correctly.

3:30 AM ^^

Currently, Rodgers accounts for roughly 32 mil against the Packers cap. The reason for this is Option bonus's are all treated as "likely to be picked up". The following are different scenarios and how they effect the Packers Cap.

1) Traded prior to June 1 40 mil cap hit for 2023 can not be spread across 2 years. Rodgers cap hit for 2023 increases from 32 m to 40 mil and the Packers have a net increase of roughly 8 mil. Team that recieves Aaron Rodgers is responsable for his option bonus.

2) Traded post June 1. (but prior to the first day of the season) 40 mil cap hit can now be spread across two years. Team that recieves Aaron Rodgers is responsable for his option bonus.

3) Cut/released both the 40 mil and the 58 mil become immediately due for a total of 100 mil. Cutting him before June 1st would trigger a dead cap of about $100 million in 2023. Even if they cut him after June 1, it will be a $31.5 million hit this year and $68.2 million cap hit next year while only saving them $50,000 (this year). Packers lose rights to Aaron rodgers

4) Retire -pre June 1 If he were to retire before June 1, it would trigger a $40 million cap hit in 2023, a nearly $9 million increase to his cap number if he were to play. Packers retain rights to Aaron rodgers

5) Retire-Post June 1 That would put his 2023 cap number at $15.8 million and 2024 number at $24.5 million while saving them $15.8 million in the process Packers retain rights to Aaron rodgers

6) Remain on the team-Packers pick up option. 2023 cap hit is as is now reported, 31-32mill, nothing changes as it pertains to the Packers Cap space. Packers retain rights to Aaron rodgers-until the next option bonus becomes due. Then it is decision time again.

7) Remain on the team - Packers do not pick up his option. This essentialy makes 2023 the last year of Aaron Rodgers contract. With all past and present bonus's being charged to 2023. 100 mil. Packers retain rights to Aaron rodgers through 2023. He is not a cut, the the Packers get no cap releif in that regard. His contract is over after 2023, so there are no void years or additional years to spread this huge cap number across, he is essentially a player playing on the last year of his contract.

The only leverage the Packers have against the Jets depends solely on how important it is to the Jets to get Aaron Rodgers into camp prior to OTA's etc. If the jets are willing to wait until after the draft, and possibly until the start of the season, the Packers have zero leverage. Now, that being said, I am sure the Jets do want Aaron Rodgers in camp prior to the first game of the year.

But, if a trade is not exectuted by the Packers prior to the draft, they are in no hurry to execute a trade until the first game of the year. Of course they ultimately are taking the chance that the Jets pivot, and instead go for another option, in which case the Packers are totally fucked. Worse case scenario is if the Packers Gm mishandles this so bad he gets nothing for Aaron Rodgers when he leaves.

Who is going to blink first?
What might Aaron Rodgers do?

My guess is that the Packers and Jets come to an agreement, a trade is executed just prior to the draft, and that trade will likley be a 2nd rounder in 2023, and a conditional pick in 2024.

But if for some reason, a trade is not excecuted prior to the draft, things will get very interesting. This is when Rodgers could give a big middle finger to the Packers, retire after the draft, but prior to June 1. It doesn't put the packers over the top, but it still puts them in a bad place, because they have to prepare for the fact he might "unretire".
4 AM ^^^

Are you physically okay? This level of dedication posting on a rivals team message board about a rival QB is borderline sociopathic

TL1961

Liked Posts:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I totally agree and my original post mentioned taking him after a trade down. 19 would be a sweet spot, but maybe a little tight. I’ve been reading that a number of NFL scouts have him as a top 20 prospect.
This draft kind of seems hard figuring where you expect guys getting drafted after the top 8 picks. It’s been all over the place.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I would be happy having Witherspoon on the Bears. But that would mean reading another thousand posts about Poles “doing nothing” for Fields.

I am not saying this is my preference. There are many ways they can go at 9 that will be good. but if the Bears draft him, fans will ultimately like the pick.
I think he's exactly what they want, can play in or out, great ball skills, great tackler. But I doubt he's the pick.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
We don’t need help running the ball. We need help protecting so we can pass the ball.
playthrough beat me to it. He gave the perfect response to this.
I’m with you. I think that’s nonsense. His RAS score is 9.78. He’s athletic.
I was 50/50 about his fit. I didn't see THIS type of athlete. I figured he'd be over a 7 RAS guy, and at his size, that made him a borderline fit for me. But yeah with the athleticism he showed at the combine, dude is surely a fit now. He has excellent feet, as evidenced by his ability to stop counter moves pretty well. Combine shows his feet should be quick in space as well, which is the only question I had about him, and Tennessee never really used him in space. I actually think he's a better prospect than Broderick Jones, who people are now mocking at 9.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I would be happy having Witherspoon on the Bears. But that would mean reading another thousand posts about Poles “doing nothing” for Fields.

I am not saying this is my preference. There are many ways they can go at 9 that will be good. but if the Bears draft him, fans will ultimately like the pick.

It would be tough to not like him. He’s competitive as hell with outstanding tape. He would be a big time HITS fit. I never watch Illinois football, but that defense made me pay attention last year. I watched the Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota games and just loved the intensity and talent they exhibited on D.

Witherspoon was the leader and best player.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You should probably do some research on this guy. He’s an excellent pass protector. He just happens to be vicious in the run game. He absolutely dominated Will Anderson the de facto number one edge when he played Alabama. Anderson didn’t get a sniff of Hooker. By the way, Hooker threw for 5 TDs against Bama that day.

He has the pedigree too. He was a 5 star out of HS and could have played anywhere.

Here’s a note on him from PFF via SI:

"Wright started 2020 at right tackle and 2021 at left tackle, then shifted back over to right tackle in 2022," Spielberger wrote. He’s an above-average pass protector on either side with the ability to bulldoze defenders in the run game, which perhaps is more valuable on the right side. Wright allowed just six quarterback hurries and zero sacks in 2022."

That’s no sacks and six hurries playing in the SEC. He has tons of experience playing RT but he has positional flexibility. He would be an excellent choice in a small trade down.
You are probably right. I did not research him. I was responding directly to your implication that the reason we should draft him is that he is good in the run game.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
@knoxville7 thoughts?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I’ve always felt he was more of a 2nd rounder, but I could see a team loving him in the mid to late first.

And if he ends up being your right tackle for the next decade, then it’s a pick worth while. Especially since he comes with the ability to play LT if someone gets hurt or what not