**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
No. He had 1 job that 1 day. He had several private meeting with teams including 2 that made his agent completely rule out teams outside of the top 10. But go off.

Oh boy, a college kid racing some cars with his buddies.

See 2 can play this game.
Carter had 44 tackles and six sacks total at Georgia.

An elite DT prospect with red flags, Warren Sapp had 176 tackles and 19.5 sacks.

Red flags and minimal production scream top 10 pick…

I doubt he can provide 20 NFL quality snaps a game. He’ll eat his way out of the league by the end of his rookie contract.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
If Witherspoon is there at 9, do you take him over PJJ/Wright/Carter?

I might be leaning there as my top guy, or Gonzales for that matter. I just feel like Poles has been relatively transparent through his time so far and said he would draft premium positions, so I bet he is at the top of the list.

This also makes the secondary absolutely terrifying.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Big difference between smoking weed in a college room and and racing cars which ends up in a death. Please tell us how those are related.
The only difference is someone died. What both players in question actually did are both very minor offenses, neither of which will result in any legal action.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
I would rather they get Sweat. Too many injuries for Young.
Of the two, Sweat has been the better player, and I thought he played really well this past season. I don't think it's fair to say he's had too many injuries. He's had one, an ACL tear that caused him to 20 games over two seasons. It's one of the reasons why I think Washington will choose to keep him over Young. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with Young's 5th-year option. At $17.5M I can easily see them not exercising it

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A list could be formed for red flag players both whom succeed in the nfl and failed in the nfl. Comparing Carter to past red flag nfl players has no meaning.

The concern is how many red flags have popped up since his bowl game. I mean just in your first short paragraph you mentioned 4 red flags. This is a pick Poles can not screw up and Carter is one player who has the make up of going down that path. Not saying it will 100% happen, but is that the risk you really want to take right now. Especially when there is tremendous talent elsewhere who could help the team out. Players who don’t hold those concerns.
I don't disagree with your main point, but what "tremendous talent" do you think is in this draft? Especially at #9. I hope/expect there are prospects there to choose from who will help the Bears. (And as depleted as the roster is, anyone should help) But I don't know that anyone sees "tremendous talent" in this draft.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Carter had 44 tackles and six sacks total at Georgia.

An elite DT prospect with red flags, Warren Sapp had 176 tackles and 19.5 sacks.

Red flags and minimal production screams top 10 pick…

I doubt he can provide 20 NFL quality snaps a game. He’ll eat his way out of the league by the end of his rookie contract.

So do you not want him because of his pro day? Do you not want him because of his car racing? Or do you not want him for his college production? Sorry, hard to keep up with the moving posts.

I'm sure you will say that they all factor in to your opinion, which is fine. Just should probably get that all out the way first before adding a new argument for every counter.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If Witherspoon is there at 9, do you take him over PJJ/Wright/Carter?

I might be leaning there as my top guy, or Gonzales for that matter. I just feel like Poles has been relatively transparent through his time so far and said he would draft premium positions, so I bet he is at the top of the list.

This also makes the secondary absolutely terrifying.
Why would CB be at the top of the list because it's a "premium position", but DT and OT wouldn't?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Carter when in season was a physical marvel.

Just happened to have an extremely tumultuous string of time following the national championship game and the combine.

It's understandable that he fell out of shape with all of that absolutely insane stress going on. He in part helped create that stress by his driving but there has to be some bit of understanding of how easy it is for a kid his age to be overwhelmed.
Sorry Moses, you’re a quality poster but this physical marvel had extremely limited production. With all that talent around him, he should have run into more than six sacks and 44 tackles in three years.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
There is tremendous talent elsewhere. Literally 0 of it is as tremendous as Carter. Sure it's a horrible look. But who cares? Pringle and Moore getting arrested last offseason right after Poles signed them was a horrible look. The team overcame Sam Hurd being arrested midseason as a drug kingpin. They overcame that DT (can't remember his name) threatening to kill himself in the Halas Hall parking lot years back.

I know past players have no bearing on Carter. But you guys are acting like Carter has a huge criminal history. He isn't going to be a Josh Gordon. He got lazy. If he's lazy and he's not a good player because of that, that's not a groundbreaking occurrence. It happens. High and low profile players. I'm just saying, the risk is worth the reward here.
Saying there isn’t as good as talent as Carter is very premature. None of these players haven’t even touched an NFL field before. How many times in the past have we heard “x” player is a generational talent only to never live up to that hype? Quite often.

We have no idea if Carter will be a Josh Gordon, Pac-Man Jones or JJ Watt. Point being he’s already starting his reputation on the wrong end of the stick.

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Being overwhelmed is no excuse. People go through bigger stresses in life than he did and still find ways to get their shit done. That’s immaturity at its finest.
People literally died from the accident, he had to live with that which is highly traumatic.

He was served his arrest warrant the day he was supposed to speak at the combine in a highly public fashion.

And yes, he's immature. He's a 22 year old man, he's going to have to grow up a bit like a lot of 22 year olds do.

This is about as far from a normal situation as you can get. That type of stress and trauma really isn't something we can compare to our everyday lives.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
The only difference is someone died. What both players in question actually did are both very minor offenses, neither of which will result in any legal action.
Biggest difference is one act is taking part in a room which has no risk of death. The other act has a higher chance of death.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's weird to think a 22 year old or anyone really wouldn't be affected somewhat by being there when a friend died and this might affect their focus the next couple months. My concern would be more how that impacts his long term psyche than whether he can be in shape for training camp.

If this was Will Anderson with his years of production and his impeccable reputation I’d be inclined to give a pass as a one off. This isn’t the case with Carter. People had issues long before the pro day.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
So do you not want him because of his pro day? Do you not want him because of his car racing? Or do you not want him for his college production? Sorry, hard to keep up with the moving posts.

I'm sure you will say that they all factor in to your opinion, which is fine. Just should probably get that all out the way first before adding a new argument for every counter.
I don’t want him for all of the above. Why wouldn’t I look at the whole picture? I sure as fuck hope the Bears are doing that.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with your main point, but what "tremendous talent" do you think is in this draft? Especially at #9. I hope/expect there are prospects there to choose from who will help the Bears. (And as depleted as the roster is, anyone should help) But I don't know that anyone sees "tremendous talent" in this draft.
Anyone being drafted inside the top 10 is being drafted for their tremendous talent. They aren’t being drafted because they are ok.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Saying there isn’t as good as talent as Carter is very premature. None of these players haven’t even touched an NFL field before. How many times in the past have we heard “x” player is a generational talent only to never live up to that hype? Quite often.

We have no idea if Carter will be a Josh Gordon, Pac-Man Jones or JJ Watt. Point being he’s already starting his reputation on the wrong end of the stick.
No. Saying there isn't as good a PLAYER as Carter is premature, which is why I didn't say that. Saying there isn't as good a TALENT is an opinion supported by several people who make money evaluating said talent.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
People literally died from the accident, he had to live with that which is highly traumatic.

He was served his arrest warrant the day he was supposed to speak at the combine in a highly public fashion.

And yes, he's immature. He's a 22 year old man, he's going to have to grow up a bit like a lot of 22 year olds do.

This is about as far from a normal situation as you can get. That type of stress and trauma really isn't something we can compare to our everyday lives.
As I’ve said before, don’t put yourself in that situation and you don’t run any of those risks. You get in a car planning to speed a race, you have to know death is a risk.

I work in a hospital. Stress like that is the norm for me. Yet every time I experience that stress I have to be strong and keep going.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not necessarily defending him. I'm defending my opinion against yours.

But yeah, 300lb guys sometimes get out of shape. He wasn't in great shape after sitting out a month before the semifinal game. Yet he came back and dominated the championship game a week later. But my point is, you're taking the best player in the draft off the radar because he was out of shape 6 months before he has to step on the field for a meaningful game again. And while he was dealing with the media reporting actual lies about his involvement in the death of one of his best friends.

The Bears have met with him for multiple days since then. They probably worked him out as well. If they have a problem with him after spending 2 days with him, then so be it. But please forgive me if I don't just take your word for it because you want guys with pride.
LOL. Biggest job interview in his life and he wasn’t in shape. Not sure why you’re defending this clown but have at it. I’ll hitch my wagon to a horse that actually has some pride.
This is one where I need to defer to the front office. My take is simple. I hope he's viable and there at 9 but it's a scenario where both shouldn't be true. It's a fine line where there comes a point that the risk reward ratio crosses a line of acceptability based on what else is available. I have no idea where to draw that line and neither does anyone else here. I'd have a difficult time taking an absolute type stance on Carter from either position. I think the veracity of a position says more about a poster's own risk vs reward sensibilities and draft philosophy.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
As I’ve said before, don’t put yourself in that situation and you don’t run any of those risks. You get in a car planning to speed a race, you have to know death is a risk.

I work in a hospital. Stress like that is the norm for me. Yet every time I experience that stress I have to be strong and keep going.
I mean, stress like that isn't normal for you unless your decision indirectly affects someone dying. And even then, it's less stress than that person being an actual friend.

Unless you are a surgeon/anesthesiologist and you screw up an operation or dosage of a friend or family member, it's not the same.

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Sorry Moses, you’re a quality poster but this physical marvel had extremely limited production. With all that talent around him, he should have run into more than six sacks and 44 tackles in three years.

I'm going off of the glowing YouTube scouting reports from guys who gush over his physical dominance on tape and the overwhelming consensus that he was the absolute best talent on that incredible Georgia defense. Those people who are saying that are way more in tune with what's going on than I am.

The game looks so easy for him because of his prototypical size, elite strength and quickness. The "he takes plays off thing" is the same thing they said about Julius Peppers and Jurko explains it pretty well that these dudes need to conserve energy on certain downs to have "it" on key downs.

Only time will tell who's right, I think I understand the pro day thing and will 100% give him a pass for it considering the circumstances. It would fall heavily on the coaching staff and front office to surround him with good role models to help develop him into a quality pro. In my book, that dude is so talented that it's worth the risk.