**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lol I just like throwing jabs at you when they are teed up because of the anger that follows. But I'm just giving you shit
UGA doesn’t win that title without him. Everyone else on that team could be replaced but not him. If this kid actually applies himself, he’s going to be dominant in the NFL

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Don’t tell me what I have and haven’t done. We have a difference of opinion but don’t assume it’s because I haven’t watched the guy.
Fair enough. Agree to disagree. But I think you would be one of the few who, after diving into the tape, understanding how Smart rotates DL in and out, how he was deployed in that scheme at UGA and his role on that DL, who would come to the conclusion that he only showed up half the time.

I don’t think anyone who scouts and analyzes this stuff has reached that conclusion. The off-field stuff, ok. His play on the field? Galaxies above any other DL prospect this year, and imo, over the past few years.

But this draft is crazy man. Anything can happen. Trade down and still grab Wright? I’d be all over that too.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:

Not going to happen but if Poles was able to pull this off, he would be having an amazing offseason.
I think the problem with trading down to 17 is that none of the OT's will be there

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agreed, but I bet Young is the primary guy on the block.

Oh I am sure he is but if I am Poles I stick to my guns and insist on Sweat. If Commanders trading up probably means a QB is available so will be multiple teams looking to move up in that scenario IMO.

Anonymous source?

Being overwhelmed is no excuse. People go through bigger stresses in life than he did and still find ways to get their shit done. That’s immaturity at its finest.

Wait are you suggesting that if he struggled due to the death of a friend that is down to immaturity. Plenty of people need help when faced with tragedy. To suggest they are all immature because they couldnt handle it is odd. You cant pretend people are robots and respond to tragedy the same way.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Of the two, Sweat has been the better player, and I thought he played really well this past season. I don't think it's fair to say he's had too many injuries. He's had one, an ACL tear that caused him to 20 games over two seasons. It's one of the reasons why I think Washington will choose to keep him over Young. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with Young's 5th-year option. At $17.5M I can easily see them not exercising it

Yeah one injury that has taken him an inordinate amount of time to recover from. No thanks.
They aren’t going to be offering Sweat. If they did, the draft pick compensation for Poles will be considerably less.
I would be fine with 16 and Sweat for 9 straight up.

Lots of people.

Not really. Most were shitting on McShay for his report until the car accident including many Bears fans on here.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah one injury that has taken him an inordinate amount of time to recover from. No thanks.

I would be fine with 16 and Sweat for 9 straight up.

Not really. Most were shitting on McShay for his report until the car accident including many Bears fans on here.
Lots of people doesn’t necessarily mean most.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
That was you remy. You were the one who was all like "nothig to see here" when Jalen Carter bailed on the combine.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lots of people doesn’t necessarily mean most.

Sure but how do you quantify that? None of us have met the guy or spoken to him so a lot of talking from ignorance.

At the end of the day it is up to Poles and Co to determine based on all the intell they have gathered whether Carter is worth taking or not.

There are limits to whether fans can offer a reasonably informed opinion on a subject and in a situation like this don't think ainy of us are in a position to do so.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sure but how do you quantify that? None of us have met the guy or spoken to him so a lot of talking from ignorance.

At the end of the day it is up to Poles and Co to determine based on all the intell they have gathered whether Carter is worth taking or not.

There are limits to whether fans can offer a reasonably informed opinion on a subject and in a situation like this don't think ainy of us are in a position to do so.

Obviously.

I’m not going to get mad if they pick him. But based on the limited info I do have I personally never would.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That was you remy. You were the one who was all like "nothig to see here" when Jalen Carter bailed on the combine.

Umm no. I am referring to the McShay report. That came out months before the combine and most criticized McShay for it because the sourcing was lite.

Carter did not bail on the combine. He said he wasnt doing drills and would wait for his pro day and that was before all the drama with the car accident. That has nothing to do with anything we are discussing and you are only bringing it up because tour dumbass was freaking out about when other players also ended up not doing all the drills.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Obviously.

I’m not going to get mad if they pick him. But based on the limited info I do have I personally never would.

Yeah I dont have a problem with that. I was just pointing out there wasnt a lot of noise prior to the accident. It was just the McShay report. Most of the claims about character or work ethic came over the car accident as people suddenly remembered all these concerns after the crash.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Umm no. I am referring to the McShay report. That came out months before the combine and most criticized McShay for it because the sourcing was lite.

Carter did not bail on the combine. He said he wasnt doing drills and would wait for his pro day and that was before all the drama with the car accident. That has nothing to do with anything we are discussing and you are only bringing it up because tour dumbass was freaking out about when other players also ended up not doing all the drills.
I mean Dalton Kincaid bailed on the combine; why hasn’t he been in a racing incident?? Only makes sense with his logic

Montucky

Liked Posts:
What is being misrepresented here in typical remy fashion is that Jalen Carter was bailing on the combine in the context of all the other issues around him was just more reason to doubt he was worth first overall.

Now the Bears are backed into this corner where if they don't get a transcendant talent on the offensive and/or defensive line in this draft they are pretty fucked, it actually makes sense that they shoot for the moon with Carter and hope he gets his shit together. I'm not saying I'm for it, but if you're in a position as desperate as the Bears this is the kind of pick you maybe need to make.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah I dont have a problem with that. I was just pointing out there wasnt a lot of noise prior to the accident. It was just the McShay report. Most of the claims about character or work ethic came over the car accident as people suddenly remembered all these concerns after the crash.

Yeah the crash through gas on the fire for sure.

But here’s a quote from a pre-season article:

The Florida-native is projected by many to be a top-10 NFL Prospect in next year’s draft and is handling the expectations well, according to his head coach, “He’s been the most mature he has.” In regards to maturity, we haven’t heard much about his vocal leadership on the defense, but Smart raved about the way Carter has shown ability to assess himself and his practice. His ability to be honest with himself and the coaching staff sounds to be a good sign of greatness to come, “He can admit to you and be honest with you when he doesn’t give great effort. He’s like, ‘you’re right Coach, I didn’t do my best on that play’. But that happens much less often now.”

So part of this may be a kid just growing up….. but clearly there also were effort issues.

Maybe he’s outgrown this, maybe not. I just think there’s got to be some less risky player to pick in the top 10 is all. In my mind the great ones come self motivated already.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I think the problem with trading down to 17 is that none of the OT's will be there
Yeah a very real possibility. Then that’s where Poles would have to decide is a top 3 OT at 9 more valuable or picks 17, 49 and next year 2nd

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Oh I am sure he is but if I am Poles I stick to my guns and insist on Sweat. If Commanders trading up probably means a QB is available so will be multiple teams looking to move up in that scenario IMO.

Anonymous source?

Wait are you suggesting that if he struggled due to the death of a friend that is down to immaturity. Plenty of people need help when faced with tragedy. To suggest they are all immature because they couldnt handle it is odd. You cant pretend people are robots and respond to tragedy the same way.
The situation leading up to the death of his friend was immature. My post might have come off with the wrong context. For the situation he help create and put himself in it would look better if he stepped up for the loss and dedicated being a top 5 pick to them. If you’re grieving that much and can’t perform your job it’s time to step away for a bit. There’s nothing wrong with that or no shame in it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
On Jalen Carter…
“He’s been the most mature he has. He was overshadowed maturity wise by the other two (Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt), he wasn’t overshadowed tackle wise by any means. He is massive. He is as talented or more talented athletically than those two. A very different guy than those two, but he is matured. His practice habits have actually improved this year. He is practicing with more consistency and he has to continue to do that. He is very mature. He can admit to you and be honest with you when he doesn’t give great effort. He’s like, ‘you’re right Coach, I didn’t do my best on that play’. But that happens much less often now. I think he knows that people’s eyes are on him, in terms of our other players and he knows he has to be a leader for our defense. I am proud of what he’s done. Most practices he’s given us a full day’s work. He competes not like a guy that has been there and done that. He competes like he’s hungry. That’s what we challenge him to do. He just has to do that every day, day in and day out, and then maybe affects somebody else with him.”

Doesn’t sound like a bad kid. But he doesn’t sound like a Justin Fields type who is 100% all the time either.

Guess we will know in several years.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah a very real possibility. Then that’s where Poles would have to decide is a top 3 OT at 9 more valuable or picks 17, 49 and next year 2nd
Poles will need to assess the gap between the top 3 and other OTs. He may see it differently than we think.

By Top 3, are you including Broderick Jones? Or Skoronski?