**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Not sure everyone does. Skoronski is this can't miss guy apparent.
As far as being a good player, I'd say he has a better chance.

As far at OT, no. But I am not a huge fan of the Johnson or Jones either. I don't think either is a top 10 prospect in a meh class.

I think Wright has the best chance of all to be a good T, but probably RT only.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
So because a guy failed LAST year we can't draft a guy THIS year?

Not what I said at all….my point is everyone is looking at these OT prospects like they’re going to be stud OTs in the NFL. This group isn’t very good, IMO. Sko is a much safer bet to be a great player than the OT prospects, even if it might not be at a premium position. But im not sold that he can’t play OT either.

If the Bears stay at 9 and don’t pick Sko, give me PJJ. I’d take Jones or Wright in a trade down. For what it’s worth, I think PJJ struggles a good bit year 1 and there’s a good chance doesn’t perform any better than Braxton did his rookie year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You really can't rule it out until you actually see it and i would think even these "draft experts" that do think he's a G still haven't 100% ruled out him being able to play T in the NFL. The new thing many are saying is that he could be a average to above average T but a monster at G.

IMO he's worth the shot and it wouldn't shock me with the rumors that T.Jenkins is actually on the outs with this regime. You draft him and try him at T and if he doesn't make it there then you put him at LG and there's your out to trading Jenkins.
What rumors, outside of EL/SM quoting speculation from DBB, have you heard that Jenkins are is on the block or being moved on from? DBB also said that he hasn’t heard anything about Jenkins—just his thoughts

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
So it's preferable to take a player that most are far less sure of as a quality prospect (like PJj) as opposed to someone who most are really sure about, just not necessarily at the premium position?

To me, it's the opposite. I am not convinced Skoronski can be an very good OT, but I think there's a decent chance. I am pretty convinced he can be a great OG. With Paris, I am equally not convinced that he can be a very good OT, but I think there's a decent chance. He does have higher upside imo, but the variables are far greater.

For a team with holes all over, I'd say that perfect might be the enemy of good re: Paris in this instance. If there was a really great OT prospect, I would feel differently but I don't think Paris is that.
Honestly? if Skoronski is a hall of famer at guard, I would not give a damn if he flamed out at tackle after the fact. In the 98 draft, Kyle Turley and Tra Thomas were drafted ahead of Alan Faneca, and Flozell Adams was taken higher in the second round. People on here may talk about which tackle was best in any given year, but Alan Faneca is in the hall of fame and the other three arent. It is just hard for me to look into this draft and not want Poles hunting for the ideal tackle prospect given the current depth chart.

Look, putting my emotional reaction aside, this offense has to be Fields First and that means investing in the OL until it is damn near perfect, and then keep on drafting OL. If Skoronski is the pick, then so be it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not what I said at all….my point is everyone is looking at these OT prospects like they’re going to be stud OTs in the NFL. This group isn’t very good, IMO. Sko is a much safer bet to be a great player than the OT prospects, even if it might not be at a premium position. But im not sold that he can’t play OT either.

If the Bears stay at 9 and don’t pick Sko, give me PJJ. I’d take Jones or Wright in a trade down. For what it’s worth, I think PJJ struggles a good bit year 1 and there’s a good chance doesn’t perform any better than Braxton did his rookie year.

I'd take PJ or Jones in a heartbeat at 9. And I openly admit they'll both probably suck this year as they have little starting experience.

Drafting a tackle is a 10-15 year investment. I'm thinking long term here. The Bears historically don't invest at this position which is part of the reason they historically have shit OL.

Draft a LT at 9. Draft a center on day 2 or 3.

This is the way.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'd take PJ or Jones in a heartbeat at 9. And I openly admit they'll both probably suck this year as they have little starting experience.

Drafting a tackle is a 10-15 year investment. I'm thinking long term here. The Bears historically don't invest at this position which is part of the reason they historically have shit OL.

This is the way.
Which is why CHI shouldn't say "we can't fix all our problems this year" in regards to the OL. The sooner you start, the sooner you reap the benefits

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Honestly? if Skoronski is a hall of famer at guard, I would not give a damn if he flamed out at tackle after the fact. In the 98 draft, Kyle Turley and Tra Thomas were drafted ahead of Alan Faneca, and Flozell Adams was taken higher in the second round. People on here may talk about which tackle was best in any given year, but Alan Faneca is in the hall of fame and the other three arent. It is just hard for me to look into this draft and not want Poles hunting for the ideal tackle prospect given the current depth chart.

Look, putting my emotional reaction aside, this offense has to be Fields First and that means investing in the OL until it is damn near perfect, and then keep on drafting OL. If Skoronski is the pick, then so be it.
It's simplistic, but my core idea is to draft the guy who you think is going to be a great player. If there are several in that bucket, take the one at the more premium position or determined by need. But the draft is so difficult. So many guys wind up being bad, the hit rate is low to begin with and just gets lower. If you draft more good players than other teams, you're probably going to have a good chance to be better than they are. And so positional value comes into play but I don't think it can dictate a draft.

Fudrucker212

Liked Posts:
So it's preferable to take a player that most are far less sure of as a quality prospect (like PJj) as opposed to someone who most are really sure about, just not necessarily at the premium position?

To me, it's the opposite. I am not convinced Skoronski can be an very good OT, but I think there's a decent chance. I am pretty convinced he can be a great OG. With Paris, I am equally not convinced that he can be a very good OT, but I think there's a decent chance. He does have higher upside imo, but the variables are far greater.

For a team with holes all over, I'd say that perfect might be the enemy of good re: Paris in this instance. If there was a really great OT prospect, I would feel differently but I don't think Paris is that.
To be fair, PJ could also be a great guard if that matters to you.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It's simplistic, but my core idea is to draft the guy who you think is going to be a great player. If there are several in that bucket, take the one at the more premium position or determined by need. But the draft is so difficult. So many guys wind up being bad, the hit rate is low to begin with and just gets lower. If you draft more good players than other teams, you're probably going to have a good chance to be better than they are. And so positional value comes into play but I don't think it can dictate a draft.
In theory I kinda agree, but like you a HUGE part of it is just luck. And if you getting targeting BPA you might just end up with unbalanced teams that can't get you over the hump to win a SB or go deep in the playoffs.

I think the core focus should be what players you want to building a winning team. Not just talented players at any 'ol position. You want a team that dominates the LOS, stop drafting off the ball LBs and CBs with high picks.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
What rumors, outside of EL/SM quoting speculation from DBB, have you heard that Jenkins are is on the block or being moved on from? DBB also said that he hasn’t heard anything about Jenkins—just his thoughts
didnt dbb say he's confident team is not committed to jenkins in the long term...not sure where that confidence is coming from...i can see poles being worried about jenkins and his injury concerns...if jenkins can stay injury free this year i think poles will be fine with him but if he misses a handful of games i can see poles looking to unload him.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

This is the way.

I’m not against PJJ at 9. Id probably roll with Jones there too but would much rather get him in a trade down.

Give me a C on day 3 to groom behind Cody. If OL is the pick at 9, I think you have to attack DL with the next 2 picks. At least one of them bare minimum

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nelson sucked last year. Somehow he made the PB but Colts fans were confused as to how.
Yeah i was lurking on their subreddit to see what they were saying about the draft and trading up back in january and several colts fans wanting to move him and “fleecing” the bears in a trade.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Positional value does come into play, and I think it comes into play too much on draft day. Succeeding with your draft picks across the board is savings that make the key difference in maintaining a strong core of your team.

I think I am close to where you are though, where at the top of the draft you have chances at so many guys that you can similarly project to be great players at different important positions. I think that that is where the in person interviews give a lot of guys a chance to show how coachable they are to the coaches on an individual basis, and where a guy like Braxton Jones or PJJ can leave the impression that they are just as good a prospect as Skoronski.