**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Getsy shows a little growth too.
As in if he sees his QB hobbling for a half...not to call a sprint outside draw late in the 4th like he did in Atlanta?

I'm still mad about that call.

With that being said- I think Getsy had a very good year 1 overall as OC in regards to the actual talent they had. I'm cautiously optimistic on him in Year 2, though.

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
As in if he sees his QB hobbling for a half...not to call a sprint outside draw late in the 4th like he did in Atlanta?

I'm still mad about that call.

With that being said- I think Getsy had a very good year 1 overall as OC in regards to the actual talent they had. I'm cautiously optimistic on him in Year 2, though.
He was inconsistent and had a few quarters where he looked like a genius and a few where he seemed to be impersonating Nagy. He also had some very questionable red zone calls. But I'm not knocking him. He had arguably the least talent to work with in the NFL.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Wonder if non black GMs faced any ridicule?

Pace did get some notes that the 2018 draft would get him fired, which ultimately may have been true, but Cohen and Jackson were great picks and he did build a great roster outside of QB. From there he shit the bed, but thanks for Fields.

I’ll take the non-sexy trenches picks. We had major needs at DL and EDGE, it wasn’t like this class was seen as a strong overall class and there was a run on EDGE in the second, so DT and CB (premium position), were good selections. Time will tell but to poo poo on your peer like this anonymously is cowardly. Good work by Ballard.
That GM comment makes no sense. "They turned Roquan Smith into Gervon Dexter". I mean that's what all player for pick trades are. The Raiders traded Darren Waller and used the pick on Tre Tucker, the Cincinnati WR who's not as good as the Cincinnati WR the Bears drafted later. Stephon Gilmore went for Evan Hull. Hell, I'm sure the Bears would rather have Chase Claypool over Joey Porter Jr. They were able to trade for Claypool in part because they had an extra 2nd for Roquan. So, essentially they traded Roquan and the rights of whoever they would have taken at 32 for Claypool (better than every WR who went 32 or later) and Dexter. They were able to spend money to replace Roquan, who they would have had to pay more money to keep.

Rise

Liked Posts:
That GM comment makes no sense. "They turned Roquan Smith into Gervon Dexter". I mean that's what all player for pick trades are. The Raiders traded Darren Waller and used the pick on Tre Tucker, the Cincinnati WR who's not as good as the Cincinnati WR the Bears drafted later. Stephon Gilmore went for Evan Hull. Hell, I'm sure the Bears would rather have Chase Claypool over Joey Porter Jr. They were able to trade for Claypool in part because they had an extra 2nd for Roquan. So, essentially they traded Roquan and the rights of whoever they would have taken at 32 for Claypool (better than every WR who went 32 or later) and Dexter. They were able to spend money to replace Roquan, who they would have had to pay more money to keep.

I think to fairly analyze this trade you have to include the cap savings of trading Smith as well. Also don’t forget the 5th round pick. I have zero issues with the trade.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
I think to fairly analyze this trade you have to include the cap savings of trading Smith as well. Also don’t forget the 5th round pick. I have zero issues with the trade.
The only way to look at this trade is that the Bears received Dexter and Sewell and used the cap savings to sign Edmunds. Personally, I see Edmunds as a better LB than Smith and Sewell will be the starting SLB, if not to start of the season, but at some point during it. So the trade, in and of itself, was a win for the Bears. But the article also said "If they are going to spend this year evaluating Justin Fields to see if they are going to be going up for a quarterback next year, you’ve got to give him every chance," How does keeping Roquan improve Fields chances over what they received in the trade. This is so nonsensical that highly doubt this BS came from an NFL GM.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He was inconsistent and had a few quarters where he looked like a genius and a few where he seemed to be impersonating Nagy. He also had some very questionable red zone calls. But I'm not knocking him. He had arguably the least talent to work with in the NFL.
For me it was all of the 3rd and longs we were in and he called for a run up the middle but there was a lot of bad calls IMO. I thought there was a lot of games where the offense would start the games great and go right down the field to score but everything would change horribly in the 2nd half or somewhere later in the game.

We had a lot of coaches that were doing their jobs for the first time in their careers just like Getsy was so the hope is he improves at play calling like he should.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You sir, are correct.
The problem is when the Packers fire Gute for fucking up the Packers roster and they clean house and move on from Love, Ian might end up in GB

@PackerNation

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
But those picks will be in 2025 and 2026 right? Or do they get a 2024 and a 2025 if he leaves for a GM job next offseason?
2024 & 2025 if I’m not mistaken.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Agreed. But I don't really feel like you can fairly analyze this trade in the first place. But yeah, the reason they traded Roquan was because of the contract issues. The sides differed on what he was worth as a player. It happens. Happened with AJ Brown, Stephon Diggs, and Tyreke Hill among others. Contract issues throw off trade values in general. The fact that the Bears were able to get a 2nd and 5th in 2023 for Roquan instead of a chance at a 2024 3rd round comp pick (which the Bears were never going to get because they had to spend money anyway) makes the trade necessary from the Bears standpoint either way.

Whether they get players who amount to nothing or not, they weren't going to get anything for Roquan either way if he walked. At least this way, they get 2 players that they have 4 years to develop over getting nothing. And if they kept Roquan, they probably aren't picking #1 overall anyway. So you can go a lot deeper in the trade value to the Bears. lol